Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
It plays like WoW now with a less spammy combat system. It all depends on how good the end game is and how tedious leveling other jobs is.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Haven't been this excited since pre-FFXI when I was dreaming up my future job combos like being a SMN/DRK and stuff. Just looking at their website and looking over the classes/jobs they have listed has me excited. I'm not hoping for a WoW killer or the next huge game, I'm just looking for something to be fun that will last a long time. FFXI was great in the fact that there was literally always something to do: level a job, level a subjob, camp NM's/HNM's, do KNM's, dynamis, Sky, Sea (LOL), Abyssea, and whatever else they added. It was a brutally unforgiving game, you couldn't solo shit for a long time and when you died you lost like 10% of your level and possibly delevelled, but it was fun. I made friends that I still play games with today, many many years later. I don't want to shit on the NDA, but those of us that have been playing it are really enjoying ourselves. I give props to SE for finally listening to players and realizing they put out the biggest pile of shit since Auto Assault. The fact that they're turning around this game is amazing and gives me hope. I don't care where WoW is a few years from now, a lot of us are just tired of their formula and want something different.

Stave

Potato del Grande
So I can't find information on this anywhere. Are they going to add in any new classes/jobs? Like Ninja, Thief, Samurai, Dark Knight, etc? Right now the class lineup just seems a little generic. I am greatly excited for this game though, as FF11 was pretty much my favorite overall MMO.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Is everyone rolling on a specific server? I was going to start a new character hoping to join with others from RR.

So I can't find information on this anywhere. Are they going to add in any new classes/jobs? Like Ninja, Thief, Samurai, Dark Knight, etc? Right now the class lineup just seems a little generic. I am greatly excited for this game though, as FF11 was pretty much my favorite overall MMO.
I have no actual idea:

My guess is that starter jobs will be the ones listed, and that other jobs will be available with quest completion and other jobs being at a specific level.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
The class lineup is going to be fairly limited. Last I checked it was Thaumarurge > White Mage, Conjurer > Black Mage, Something with a stupid name > Summoner, Lancer > Dragoon, Pugilist > monk, Gladiator > Paladin, Archer > Bard and I think that was it. Basically it's the FFXIV classes, with summoner added.

It's missing quite a lot of classes but more importantly it's missing an archetype for the melee DPS squishy type class like thief/ninja. I could see them adding Samurai to an existing class like Lancer for example, and doing that for every other class, but Ninja doesn't really fit anything unless there's Thief. It's not so bad for a launching setup though what with the cross class shit, and it gives them easy shit to work on adding later on so not too concerned, even though I would have liked to play a Thief again.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Keep in mind that ffxi launched with 6 basic classes and all of the additional ones came with rise of the zilart. The website lists all the classes and jobs that will come at launch. If its successful you can guarantee they'll add more. As for thief, I was under the impression that pugilist played like a monk thief combo.

Nite1

<WoW Guild Officer>
I never could get into ff11 Bc I just couldn't figure it out and the ui drove me nuts. That said I'm enjoying 14. I haven't gotten into any group activities yet ( not saying much else so I don't cross the nda) I'm hoping that they keep soloing viable but have grouping be more fun/advantageous. Its fun playing something different from wow and I hope they make the end game enjoyable yet challenging ...

Anyone know where I could find a good starter guide to 11 wouldn't mind trying a ff11 emulater while waiting on the beta to reopen

Swagdaddy

There is a war going on over control of your mind
if u didnt like normal ff11 u wont like the 35% completed emulators of it

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
The problem with the ui for ffxi was it was made for ps2 in mind and not for pc. Some people were able to use a mouse but most of us went fully keyboard only and occasionally used a controller. The ui was definitely the worst aspect of an otherwise great game.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Maybe but not many when I was playing. I played on the ps2 when I was lazy but for endgame went strict keyboard.

Angry Amadeus_sl

shitlord
I'm pretty stoked for this. I played XI pretty hardcore for a year or so and really enjoyed it. Played the beta of XIV and was so disappointed that they would even let it out the door like that.

Swagdaddy

There is a war going on over control of your mind
Maybe but not many when I was playing. I played on the ps2 when I was lazy but for endgame went strict keyboard.
just made more sense to plug a controller into your pc and have access to controller/mouse/keyboard/mic at all times simultaneously

maybe i was just a visionary

Deisun_sl

shitlord
This game will do well. Very well. There are a few concerns, the loot wasn't very interesting to me (everyone wearing the same thing) and the quests were very treadmill. Having said that, it has feel to it that draws you in. I hope that remains throughout the game. That's my experience through the first 11 levels.

Crazily

N00b
I received a beta invite a few days ago so I registered the code to my square account....now when I go to log in my username/password keeps failing on the beta website.

So I reset my password a few times, when I click on the "service account" for FFXIV beta it says "active service accounts" and then "code registration unavailable"

This entire account portal/management system is horrible, unintuitive and confusing as hell.....I give up.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
I received a beta invite a few days ago so I registered the code to my square account....now when I go to log in my username/password keeps failing on the beta website.

So I reset my password a few times, when I click on the "service account" for FFXIV beta it says "active service accounts" and then "code registration unavailable"

This entire account portal/management system is horrible, unintuitive and confusing as hell.....I give up.
Well the Beta ended yesterday so....

Crazily

N00b
Well that figures...lol I got in right at the end I guess. Their account management system is confusing as hell...how hard would it be to put a message up saying so.....thanks for the info

Tide27_sl

shitlord

Most likely you are using the wrong name / pwd combo. Hear me out, I had the same problem.

I would log into the SQEnix site and the pwd would work, and I registered the code...if you click active accounts, youll see that it does indeed say you are registered to beta.

Now I would try to download the beta and it kept saying the name / pwd combo was wrong...but I just checked it a few mins ago and it was fine.

The problem was the second time you log in, its a different log in name its asking for.

For example...

I would log into the site with UserID:[email protected]/* <![CDATA[ */!function(t,e,r,n,c,a,p){try{t=document.currentScript||function(){for(t=document.getElementsByTagName('script'),e=t.length;e--;)if(t[e].getAttribute('data-cfhash'))return t[e]}();if(t&&(c=t.previousSibling)){p=t.parentNode;if(a=c.getAttribute('data-cfemail')){for(e='',r='0x'+a.substr(0,2)|0,n=2;a.length-n;n+=2)e+='%'+('0'+('0x'+a.substr(n,2)^r).toString(16)).slice(-2);p.replaceChild(document.createTextNode(decodeURIComponent(e)),c)}p.removeChild(t)}}catch(u){}}()/* ]]> */and PWD: XYZ. Now when you log onto that, you will see that you have a different registered name on the log in screen.

That is the name you need to log in with. It wasnt[email protected]/* <![CDATA[ */!function(t,e,r,n,c,a,p){try{t=document.currentScript||function(){for(t=document.getElementsByTagName('script'),e=t.length;e--;)if(t[e].getAttribute('data-cfhash'))return t[e]}();if(t&&(c=t.previousSibling)){p=t.parentNode;if(a=c.getAttribute('data-cfemail')){for(e='',r='0x'+a.substr(0,2)|0,n=2;a.length-n;n+=2)e+='%'+('0'+('0x'+a.substr(n,2)^r).toString(16)).slice(-2);p.replaceChild(document.createTextNode(decodeURIComponent(e)),c)}p.removeChild(t)}}catch(u){}}()/* ]]> */, the name it was looking for was Tide27, and then the same pwd.

Hope that helps you get in. I had a horrible time trying to figure that one out.