Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Naj_sl

shitlord
The storyline quests that I found were all solo, outdoor content. It only went up to level 15 iirc so that could change later.

Speedrunning dungeons was definitely the way to go though for leveling. EXP was better than bear-ass quests and the quality of gear was better by several orders of magnitude as a Conjurer. For low level content the end-dungeon bosses had rather interesting mechanic too which was nice.

ixian_sl

shitlord
Ugh. UGH. All of the storyline will be in dungeons? I hate that. Means I have to potentially PuG it up to see the story evolve, and I don't always feel like doing that. I actually prefer much of the story to be doable outside dungeons with the final bits, usually the most epic parts, doable only in a group (a la TERA). It adds some reward to the likelihood of grouping with complete morons.
I wasn't trying to imply that with my post, I meant that I'd rather level through dungeons than having to do non-essential quests.

However, I do believe later story quests will require a group, yeah. That's one of the big reasons they're implementing a group finder.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Ahh. Yeah, given the choice between grinding and running dungeons with a good group, I'd pick the dungeon any day. It's finding the good group that's a gamble in today's MMO landscape, and I have no patience whatsoever. I'm probably not the only one.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
I own ff xiv(got it first month) how do I apply for realm reborn phase 3?
You should get in automatically if your a Legacy user, during Phase 3.

Ugh. UGH. All of the storyline will be in dungeons? I hate that.
That's pretty much how FFXI turned out to be for story, after you advanced in the mission ranks. Some of the later expansion story missions were so ass-rape hard even with a group (really had to have a specific group of classes in some cases) and you were forced to keep old gear around because they all de-leveled you so you couldn't steamroll them.

Which sucked because a lot of the best spells for my Bluemage were locked behind those story progression missions and I never got them before I quit.

I won't mind if the story missions are part of puggable dungeons but I hope no meaningful character advancement aren't locked behind them.

Sidhe

<Banned>
I want to be very careful here not to come off as saying "MMOs shouldn't be soloable anyway," because I believe there's room in the genre for multiple types of games.

But I can tell you that doing the Chains of Promathia missions with my LS was awesome and incredibly memorable. Needing organized groups, sound strategies, and good gear made it feel like a real accomplishment of gaming and teamwork rather than just a story that we watched unfold. If they were puggable, it wouldn't have felt like being great adventurers exploring the wild unknown.

I know this doesn't appeal to some people, and that's fine. I also know that there were a lot of people who were active in FFXI who did complain about storyline missions and probably quit the game over it. But I also know that whether you were an elite endgame LS or just a casual group of friends who wanted to game for the sake of gaming, content like the CoP missions provided something that absolutely no one else was offering.

Vittra

Bronze Knight of the Realm
One thing that made those Chains of Promethia missions hard was holding onto old gear and needing to afford things like millions of potions for all those BCNM fights. As players that have already been endgame for a while it wasn't that bad, because you typically had the gear, plus the different jobs leveled already that your group might need. But I think for anyone not max level by then it would've been christ raping hard to work through some of those missons. And also not having a dedicated group for it could mean you're stuck at one part for weeks.

I'm hoping FF14 doesn't make the group aspect of the game too facerolling easy.

Sidhe

<Banned>
One thing that made those Chains of Promethia missions hard was holding onto old gear and needing to afford things like millions of potions for all those BCNM fights. As players that have already been endgame for a while it wasn't that bad, because you typically had the gear, plus the different jobs leveled already that your group might need. But I think for anyone not max level by then it would've been christ raping hard to work through some of those missons. And also not having a dedicated group for it could mean you're stuck at one part for weeks.
I'm hoping FF14 doesn't make the group aspect of the game too facerolling easy.
Having a dedicated group was sort of the point. You were playing a Final Fantasy game, except instead of controlling all the party members, you only controlled one. They were made for friends. not pugs.

E: Oh, they also did eventually do the right thing about needing lower level gear. High level gear would scale down and would be slightly worse than really good gear of the actual appropriate level. That left a market in place for the uber level 30/40/whatever gear, for people who wanted to have it going in or needed that little extra boost, but made it so decent players didn't have to devote 40 bank slots to it.

If only they had gone the EQ2 route and made your spells scale, so you didn't have to re-macro Cure II...

Amycus

Lord Nagafen Raider
This one should work for someone. I am already in, but grabbed one to give to someone who needed it.

RBWU FYY4 5RM6 XR89 DDU4

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
I want to be very careful here not to come off as saying "MMOs shouldn't be soloable anyway," because I believe there's room in the genre for multiple types of games.

But I can tell you that doing the Chains of Promathia missions with my LS was awesome and incredibly memorable. Needing organized groups, sound strategies, and good gear made it feel like a real accomplishment of gaming and teamwork rather than just a story that we watched unfold. If they were puggable, it wouldn't have felt like being great adventurers exploring the wild unknown.
I don't disagree, as I had the same memories and fun with my guild doing hard stuff like that in games like EQ and WoW. But I started FFXI like a year or so after NA launch so I was always behind and it was always my secondary MMO - I hardly knew anyone who played it and didn't have a dedicated group or LS so stuff like CoP missions were down right impossible.

I didn't mind them being hard, more so it just sucked as a Bluemage that I could never get the best spells and traits because of it. I know that's a very niche argument since Bluemage had a very unique mechanic of capturing spells from mobs but it was still lame. It wasn't like weapons/armor where you could find something comparable (Radiant Breath and Refueling), though eventually those monster types showed up in later expansions at higher level.

Swagdaddy

There is a war going on over control of your mind
ff11 was amazing, only other MMO I really got into other then EQ.

for the same reason in that you needed a group/LS to do stuff, community and reputation actually mattered.

altho i ran a beastmaster/ninja so i did get away with a little bit of NMs on my own
biggrin.png

only problem was it suffered the same fate in eq later years people were always boxing/botting all the named spawns and shit and that was pretty gay.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Yeah FF14's music is pretty amazing, only MMO I haven't turned off immediately in the last few years.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Nothing compares to EQ music though, right Sean?

Also if you had any interest in this game I hope I sent you a beta, if not I am all out right now, will get you next time.