Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
The music and art in general in this game is the only thing that stands out imo, while I said earlier that the game is fairly average(which isn't bad but isn't good either), the universe and the way it looks is pretty good even with the limited amount of areas in the current beta, and the music was definitely one of the better mmo music around.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Having a dedicated group was sort of the point. You were playing a Final Fantasy game, except instead of controlling all the party members, you only controlled one. They were made for friends. not pugs.

E: Oh, they also did eventually do the right thing about needing lower level gear. High level gear would scale down and would be slightly worse than really good gear of the actual appropriate level. That left a market in place for the uber level 30/40/whatever gear, for people who wanted to have it going in or needed that little extra boost, but made it so decent players didn't have to devote 40 bank slots to it.

If only they had gone the EQ2 route and made your spells scale, so you didn't have to re-macro Cure II...
Yeah the level-cap stuff was bullshit when doing CoP missions, but to top it off they were mostly extremely challenging. I still remember fighting the dragon on those floating islands, shit that looked so good and was so epic. I remember fighting the bomb, the 3 mithras, the airship battle, and of course the final battle. No other MMO has made such an epic storyline.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
I still stand by my comments that FFXI was the best group experience in any mmo to date by a mile. The hurdles to getting a group, and navigating your way into the games community were much like EQ, it took work and effort to meet people and without doing the networking the game was a huge bottleneck. Personally, I think those barriers are required to some degree to create a game that has actual interdependency. Plenty of folks just want mmo's to be games you play with other people around, not so much that you play it with other people. I'm hoping the integrity of the rank/mission system - skill chains (being the most efficient way to play), and in general the method of exploration and such remains at least in spirit true to some XI's core principles. Granted, I realize it also needs to be a 2013 mmo in some regards to be successful.

Stave

Potato del Grande
I still stand by my comments that FFXI was the best group experience in any mmo to date by a mile. The hurdles to getting a group, and navigating your way into the games community were much like EQ, it took work and effort to meet people and without doing the networking the game was a huge bottleneck. Personally, I think those barriers are required to some degree to create a game that has actual interdependency. Plenty of folks just want mmo's to be games you play with other people around, not so much that you play it with other people. I'm hoping the integrity of the rank/mission system - skill chains (being the most efficient way to play), and in general the method of exploration and such remains at least in spirit true to some XI's core principles. Granted, I realize it also needs to be a 2013 mmo in some regards to be successful.
I agree, FFXI was the best group experience imo. For 2013, FFXI is too far in the group required direction and WoW is too far in the solo direction, a game that could find a nice balance would be pretty sweet, and I don't just mean random dungeon finders with pugs to group when you are still basically soloing with 4 AI partners, or the challenge modes which are hard group content just for dick size comparison achievements, but soloable progression that goes faster with a group, and actual group required for some progression would be sweet.

Sidhe

<Banned>
This is all so very true. We're not asking for forced grouping that takes hours and hours in LFG. Everyone knows that was bullshit. We're asking for rewarding team experiences with meaningful community aspects and a sense of accomplishment. Unfortunately, until someone comes up with something better, evidence shows you need the former to get to the latter.

ixian_sl

shitlord
If you look at some of the later battles that were a part of the FFXIV 1.0 storyline, they were interesting from a mechanics standpoint and actually fairly challenging (here's an example). Hopefully they'll keep that up with 2.0.

Stave

Potato del Grande
So anyone have any spare beta keys for this weekend's test? I am really wanting to try it. After seeing the TESO video that leaked last week, this is my only MMO on the horizon that looks like I could enjoy.

Skinner

Trakanon Raider
I have some spare EU keys if gogusrl's link doesn't work anymore. Not sure what the difference is between the EU and NA version but they both start and end at the same time.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yep thanks, didn't need it THAT badly but figure I might during P3 so I don't have to share with my friend and since you had a ton anyway ^^.

Myst

Peasant
I have some spare EU keys if gogusrl's link doesn't work anymore. Not sure what the difference is between the EU and NA version but they both start and end at the same time.
Would love to get my hands on one.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
I wasn't going to check this out, but if you have a key laying around I wouldn't mind trying it
smile.png

Thanks Skinner.

Skinner

Trakanon Raider
Just a reminder they are EU keys, but I'm not sure how much of a difference that even makes. Think servers are in Japan and start/end times are all the same.

and sent