Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
I found lots of invisible walls. Lots of them. They make no sense whatsoever and they're very aggravating. I hope someone got slapped around for this and they aren't as pervasive in other areas of the game, but somehow, I doubt it.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Be that as it may, invisible walls are the telltale sign of craptastic level designers. Exploration should be possible until you get somewhere that you can't pass for actual game-related reasons (i.e. a mountain you can't climb, a gate you can't pass, a sheer drop that will kill you, etc).

And when you do get to that cliff you really shouldn't jump off, you should be able to be a dumbass and jump. And then you get to die, because you're an idiot and you jumped off a cliff. It shouldn't be rocket science. Some people want to explore the world... they shouldn't be hamstrung, and they shouldn't have their hands held.

Treesong

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Be that as it may, invisible walls are the telltale sign of craptastic level designers. Exploration should be possible until you get somewhere that you can't pass for actual game-related reasons (i.e. a mountain you can't climb, a gate you can't pass, a sheer drop that will kill you, etc).

And when you do get to that cliff you really shouldn't jump off, you should be able to be a dumbass and jump. And then you get to die, because you're an idiot and you jumped off a cliff. It shouldn't be rocket science. Some people want to explore the world... they shouldn't be hamstrung, and they shouldn't have their hands held.
After 15 years of MMO-playing and adapting to a lot of stuff I am surprised how annoying invisable walls still are to me. And yes, FFXIV is still the king of this: as in a beautiful lake-side building with a nice jetty in the water, which is completely walled off as is the entire lake itself. It is odd since even most of the budget MMO's do not do this anymore.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
After 15 years of MMO-playing and adapting to a lot of stuff I am surprised how annoying invisable walls still are to me. And yes, FFXIV is still the king of this: as in a beautiful lake-side building with a nice jetty in the water, which is completely walled off as is the entire lake itself. It is odd since even most of the budget MMO's do not do this anymore.
I'm quite frankly bewildered that producers still allow designers to use invisible walls as a cop-out. It wouldn't be all that difficult to design such that they weren't necessary. All they do is make something that looks like it should be open look like it's poorly designed.

If it's visible, and not obviously inaccessible (i.e. gate, wall), you should be able to walk through it. Even if there's no point in doing so. Even if it's just land with nothing in it. Exploring is fun, and the world should allow for it. I'm not saying "let's make every game a sandbox'; however, if you're going to take the time to add that lake-side building and jetty, you're creating the terrain anyway. There's no good reason why we shouldn't be able to walk on it.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Lets keep in mind here that SE is fixing one of the worst mmos of all time. For all we know this is something from 1.0 that is low priority on the list.

Boloboy

Bronze Knight of the Realm
played for 3-4 hours yesterday and I really enjoyed my time. Looking forward to more beta and release!

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Really enjoyed the 15 or so hours I got to play. What shocked me most was how well the game played on my older pc. Has pretty much the minimum requirements listed with a worse gpu and it ran smooth as butter with minor tweaks to shadows and lighting.

Sean_sl

shitlord
I enjoyed it. Did all the quests, ran two of the dungeons a few times each too. Played fairly well on a gamepad. It felt like a more friendlier FFXI than it did WoW or anything.

Completely different impression than the first beta they had before the game's first failed launch. The engine also runs leaps and bounds better.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I wonder if Fung and Fatty will play again, the return of snuggles and cuddles would make me purchase.

Stave

Potato del Grande
This is definitely a must purchase for me. Wish launch was here already. And wish preorders with bonuses would go up too so I can preorder. I don't want to say much due to NDA, but this is 100x better than 1.0 and greatly polished for only being in phase 2 beta. It feels like FFXI HD with a dash of WoW casualness thrown in (while retaining hardcore stuff too from what I understand). Definitely recommend to try to get a beta key for people on the fence on this one or burned by the 1.0 release.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
How solid is the UI? One of the things that kept me from playing FFXI(despite having a LOT of things I loved), was the horrible UI. It was so clunky to use, that I just eventually couldn't get past it.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
It's nothing like FFXI's UI. In fact, it's very "modern MMO" esque, so pretty much cookie-cutter.

Juff

Golden Knight of the Realm
I was pleasantly surprised by it. It has a really solid final fantasy feel to it and was a pretty enjoyable for the twelve or so hours I got to play.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
The game runs crazy smooth for easily the best looking MMO inthe biz, and it doesn't look plastic like some of the other "good" graphics MMOs.

My PC fans barely increased in speed during play.

WageSlave

Golden Knight of the Realm
A side effect of the game having to run on the PS3 is that even older computers can run it at max settings with no problems...

Sean_sl

shitlord
A side effect of the game having to run on the PS3 is that even older computers can run it at max settings with no problems...
That's not entirely true. They do have to keep in mind on how big they design levels and npc and object counts, but the PC and PS3 engines will have a pretty big gulf in image quality (the PS3 version won't have anywhere near the level of texture quality that the PC version currently does). Plus, the PC engine was built first and from the ground up and it shows. The game is absolutely gorgeous and runs amazingly well. They're going to have to do a lot of scaling down and tweaking on the PS3 client to get this to run on it, assuming they're not just building an entirely different engine for the PS3 version considering the architecture it uses.

Personally I think they should have just scrapped the PS3 project all together at this point. It's going to look and run like ass compared to the PS3 version and it's super late in that console's life cycle. They should be putting that manpower into building a PS4 client instead.

Malkav

French Madman
The game is gorgeous and there are some nice ideas.

Now if they could only fix a few things about the combat system. :/

Sean_sl

shitlord
The game is gorgeous and there are some nice ideas.

Now if they could only fix a few things about the combat system. :/
Which class did you try out? Most of the complaints about it seem to be coming from Lancers while Archers and Gladiators enjoyed it the most.

Malkav

French Madman
Which class did you try out? Most of the complaints about it seem to be coming from Lancers while Archers and Gladiators enjoyed it the most.
Mainly Archer. Dabbled in Lancer/Glad with the lvl to 15 NPC. Gladiator was a bit better.

Don't know if I can state my complaints clearly with the NDA and shit.
tongue.png