Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
I need this game deep inside me like stat.

Also thanks for sharing the info. See some promising stuff in there if they can pull it off. Sounds like alot of contested raid content with the elementals unless I am misreading that.

ixian_sl

shitlord
Couple of things to add to that list:
- If I remember correctly, the GCD will actually be lowered via some stat later on.
- UI-wise, using a controller results in a different UI. PC users can use both the KB/M-specific UI and controller-specific UI, but PS3 users only have the latter.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Wall of text incoming
God damn dude, I am way more hopeful for this game than I wanted to be. I didn't really want to get into an MMO again anytime soon, but this past beta, for some reason, really clicked with me. If they can deliver on most of that then I may have to actually seriously play one again.

Btw, their control UI is great. My biggest issue was putting down the controller to type heh, need some headset action going on. I also had a minor issue with targeting in dungeon runs, but that was mostly my fault. Up/Down cycles monster targets and Left/Right cycles party targets and I totally brain farted on that. They need to change it to be flipped around so enemy targeting is left/right on the d-pad instead.

ixian_sl

shitlord
Haha yeah, after years of playing FFXI on controller I'm not sure I could adjust to left/right selecting players (though in this game I plan to play KB/M since the UI isn't ass). I'm sure it will be customizable, if it's not already.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Got another beta invite today. Check your emails.
Yep:

Thank you for your participation in the beta test for FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn.
The testing schedule is detailed below.

- Dates and Times:
April 26, 2013 (Friday), 2:00 a.m. to April 28, 2013 (Sunday), 2:00 a.m. (PDT)

* Beta test phase 2 will come to an end on Sunday, Apr. 28th. The beta test phase 3 schedule will be announced at a later time.

kahilm_sl

shitlord
Probably won't see phase 3 start until after Golden Week, so maybe around May 10th or 17th. Wonder if it'll be up 24/7 or if it'll be weekend testing again. Can't wait to see all the starting classes and the zones around Uldah and Limsa. Getting myself way too hyped for this game...

Nija

<Silver Donator>
Did everyone already block the previous release of this game? Is it really going to have a miracle patch, or is it going to be yet another terrible final fantasy?

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Never got an email last week. Just entered a code from a link and followed the instructions from there. Is there a seperate code in each email or should I be good to go when the servers are up? I hope it wasn't a one weekend type of deal. Didn't get nearly enough time last week.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Did everyone already block the previous release of this game? Is it really going to have a miracle patch, or is it going to be yet another terrible final fantasy?
We'll know next phase. So far though the game definitely feels a lot better than the original. Still need to see how much content they plan on releasing and what they have to cut due to not being finished, which we'll know more about once phase3 starts. Until then there isn't much more to say about this game.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
For all intents and purposes it's a new game entirely. One that myself (and quite a few others by the response in this thread alone) finds quite satisfactory. I recommend giving it a try.

Nija

<Silver Donator>
I gave away my beta account. FF11 was a shitheap, I don't think this will be any better. The combat is laughable. I think the last FF game I enjoyed was FF3, but then again I was 14 and the target audience.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Wall of text incoming, if it's too long I can edit and spoiler it.

-Housing
3 Sizes of houses
Guild and Personal houses
TONS of decorations, everything up to hottubs even
Can put raid bosses (ifrit's) head on your wall
Bonuses to your character like xp, crafting bonuses, etc, based on decorations
Can invite friends to houses
Can share houses
Can buy/sell houses
Instanced housing so it's not limited amount
Able to farm/garden outside your house?
Housing is cool, but hope they limit the bonuses that Housing can grant, if that is the appropriate way to approach it. Really don't like it myself (housing, dress up, etc..), and maybe FFXIV will turn my opinion around, but would rather housing not impact character development directly. Purely selfish I'm sure since it isn't appealing to my play style and I'd feel compelled / forced to do it if having Ifrit's head mounted gave me +1.5% damage vs. Ifrit or Fire Type creatures. Hell, I could actually see that and might have just talked myself in to liking it...

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Housing is cool, but hope they limit the bonuses that Housing can grant, if that is the appropriate way to approach it. Really don't like it myself (housing, dress up, etc..), and maybe FFXIV will turn my opinion around, but would rather housing not impact character development directly. Purely selfish I'm sure since it isn't appealing to my play style and I'd feel compelled / forced to do it if having Ifrit's head mounted gave me +1.5% damage vs. Ifrit or Fire Type creatures. Hell, I could actually see that and might have just talked myself in to liking it...
Seems like it would be another form of character advancement and would be great. You don't have to visit the house (my guess, though you probably do to install it or whatever).

Stave

Potato del Grande
I dont think it will be any DPS type increase, but things like FFXI did with +%xp gain, less xp loss on death, crafting increases, etc.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I gave away my beta account. FF11 was a shitheap, I don't think this will be any better. The combat is laughable. I think the last FF game I enjoyed was FF3, but then again I was 14 and the target audience.
Comparing rpg to mmorpg is pointless this day and age, unless you are talking about .hack series. So if you like mmorpgs check out FF XIV.

really hoping furniture needs multiple craft skills to make or each major crafter can make furniture, if not carpenters are goimg to be rich motherfuckers.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
It plays like WoW now with a less spammy combat system. It all depends on how good the end game is and how tedious leveling other jobs is.
When I get back in May I want to steal your login for a day Bell ! Maybe we can talk in TS I want to ask some questions, thinking of playing. I'll pm you when I'm back QT.

Grizzlebeard_sl

shitlord
really hoping furniture needs multiple craft skills to make or each major crafter can make furniture, if not carpenters are goimg to be rich motherfuckers.
Again drawing comparisons from FFXI, all craft skills had certain synths which required other crafts to produce. For example, making a Scorpion Harness required Bonecraft and Leathercraft. I don't even want to revisit the trauma that was making fireworks with Alchemy.