Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
What would be the reward for these magical dailies that require you to do a level 20 trial?

20 gil? 200 gil? 1 myth stone?
Random badges buying you cool looking mounts, barding, house furniture or other cosmetics random shit. They don't have to be weekly capped because they're daillies, you can only do them once a day to begin with, so the amount of badges entering each player's inventory is already capped. I mean yeah, they could make you give you 15philos and no one would do them ever, or they could make them give 15mytho and no one would do them ever either because they'd rather run AK 8times, but they could also make it so doing a daily deletes your account and upload child pronography to your computer while calling the FBI, I mean, why not right.

Granted I don't think it's a good way to fix the issue and mostly it's gonna be high levels farming because they "have to" and mistreating newbies for being newbies, and they should seriously reconsider rebalancing all the forced duties into solo instances or simply removing them from the questline asap.

Sabbat

Trakanon Raider
How about this. You explain why they will choose an entirely different method than any other MMO?

How are they going to do it so you can't possibly cap your weekly amount yet not require you to do a daily every day no matter what in order to stay current?

Then explain why they would make the dailies be the lower story quests .....

How about we start with that?

Explain to me how dailies are going to fix an issue with new people leveling up a new character ....
Sure. As long as you apologise for being a dipshit earlier.

Starting from the beginning, there's a few ways to fix the Ifrit problem.

1. Re-tool the encounter for solo play.
2. Re-tool the encounter for any class/archtype play.
3. Remove the encounter quest from the progression path and make it optional (it's still a visually fun fight).
4. Shuffle the level for this encounter down to level 10.
5. Add trivial rewards (xp, items) so players will revisit the encounter more than once.
6. Add daily rewards (company seals, items, unique skins) so that players will revisit the encounter over the life of the game.

1, 2, and 3 should have been done before the encounter even made it into the progression path at the design level. There's no excuse for being this stupid. Fixing the problem at this level would also be time consuming, and very costly -- thus, it's really not under consideration.

4. By having this encounter at level 10, new alts, new accounts, and the fly by nighters will get a taste of a sweet looking boss earlier. This would also see people less likely to sit and wait as a DPS, when they could change to tank/healer to get past it without sacrificing a large amount of time leveling to 20 again as a tank or healer. That shit is a boner killer.

5. XP and items only give incentive to players at the 20-24 mark in levels (XP is meaningless once you cap out -- even if the curve is massive, and items are only relevant for the level range it's dropping), thus it narrows the number of potential people queuing, it's not ideal, but it would be better than what we have.

6. Daily completion reward, using Seals (at least), maybe higher end crafting components would see the queue times drop dramatically. As you could only get the reward once per day, "capping out per week" isn't a factor. This reward system would see players from all levels coming back to hit the easy instance and keep those low level queues popping much more frequently.

Now, to answer some of the other questions:

A) Capping out for the week to stay current -- this is WoW talking to you, and you should feel bad for bringing this shit up. If the games model is limiting Seals per day (which it is not), then yeah, adding in any mechanic to add to that would (if you're a fucking retard) make it feel required.

B) Dailies being low level story quests -- We're not talking about adding daily quests to the game, we're looking for a solution to the problem in a single encounter, which could be used further along the chain.

C) Dailies to help new characters -- Adding rewards for higher level players, and players that have already completed the mandatory 1 run of Ifrit would cycle more players back into the encounter to help out the queues, these players will also be more inclined to switch to heal and tank roles to get it done quickly, than sit around as DPS.

We done here?

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
While we're at it they should consider putting a cap on the number of fates you can do in a day

Sean_sl

shitlord
Wait wait wait. Am I confused, or is Sabbat complaining about the level 20 ifrit quest being too hard or some shit? What exactly is the "Ifrit Problem"?

Sabbat

Trakanon Raider
While we're at it they should consider putting a cap on the number of fates you can do in a day
Capping Fates would hamstring the fuck out of their leveling system. If the side quests and main storyline missions all got reset on a class switch, I'd be fine with it for the most part. My only concern then would be the pricing of all the Grand Company gear, and it'd need to be brought down in price to compensate for the lesser amount of seals.

Still, I don't like the idea of capping out anything, I'd rather be able to play a full day and get rewarded for it, so I didn't have to log in the next day to break even.

Recalcitrant_sl

shitlord
I just wish myth were capped per job (even if they were tied to that job for use). Not sure what the point is of having multiple l50 jobs on the same character is if you can only gear one of them past ilvl 70 and base relic.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Are they not supposedly adding random dungeon dailies? If they make the reward good enough, this might help.
No we aren't done Sabbat. This is what I replied to. Random dungeon dailies is not the solution to low level story trials. It just isn't.

This is Square we are talking about which takes the WoW daily and multiplies it to 1000 on the rigid scale. They will make it pool into the shared resource.

The rest of your solutions aren't what we are discussing. There are a myriad of ways we could solve the issue of Ifrit etc. NONE OF THOSE SOLUTIONS ARE DAILIES

You want ME to apologize for being a dipshit? You came at ME for stating a 100% accurate thing about dailies and the way MMO players approach them.

You went 100% asshole for absolutely no reason. I then replied in kind and explained it to you since you wanted to double down on you thinking you had a "gotcha" that I didn't know what a daily was.

Dailies are not going to be and never will be the solution to the problem we are discussing.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Wait wait wait. Am I confused, or is Sabbat complaining about the level 20 ifrit quest being too hard or some shit? What exactly is the "Ifrit Problem"?
New players won't find groups to do it since nobody else needs it. He thinks that dailies are going to be how Square fixes it. He thinks we will all do dailies to go back to a level 20 story trial in order to get our daily rewards ....

Sean_sl

shitlord
It's a serious question, one that a_skeleton_03 answered for me. Do you really believe that there's an "ifrit problem"? If so, then there'd be a "every single forced group content story quest problem" and notjustIfrit.

The population and influx of new people would have to totally die for it to be a real issue and if that's the case then there's much bigger worries than this totally hypothetical situation.

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
Kinda lame you have to have 4 ppl to do those instances, if I want to be able to try solo or with only 1-2 people I should be able to.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Kinda lame you have to have 4 ppl to do those instances, if I want to be able to try solo or with only 1-2 people I should be able to.
Totally, this will be the solution if there is one. They might make it a solo instance. I duoed it as a DPS with a healer when the group left. We got it down to like 50% before the healer stood in something and then he left.

Tenks

It's a serious question, one that a_skeleton_03 answered for me. Do you really believe that there's an "ifrit problem"? If so, then there'd be a "every single forced group content story quest problem" and notjustIfrit.

The population and influx of new people would have to totally die for it to be a real issue and if that's the case then there's much bigger worries than this totally hypothetical situation.
The Ifrit issue is more apparent because once you do it there is literally zero reason to do it again. I know most people will argue there isn't a reason to re-do dungeons but people enjoy doing those and will re-queue even if not for storyline progression because of XP/loot rewards. With Ifrit there really is no point to doing him unless you are at that step in the storyline. So yeah it can be a problem if you happen to be playing and 1tank/healer/2dps aren't available. They should probably re-do the instance so it is solo friendly.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>

It's an issue because the story quest is heavily bottlenecked early on, which is where players(new or not) spend the least amount of time. You have to do all 3 dungeons and ifrit(and then totorak haukke etc) right away before you can progress anywhere, even the quest hubs are locked behind the storyquests for the most part. Ifrit is just one part of the problem and is just used as the example. You will get them done, eventually, but you don't want players to wait 2-3hours just so they can do the forced content so they can actually unlock anything. Ironically, FATEs aren't gated and as such you'll have people skipping the storyquests to do FATEs even more, which is dumb as shit.

Daillies won't fix the problem but assuming they're done correctly, which I guess is a big assumption, they could help a decent bit by having higher levels help people in these shit for exclusive cosmetic rewards(which even high levels with full gear would be kinda interested in doing, at least some of them).

Mostly they need to take Satasha/Copperbell/Whatever the 3rd one is out of the storyquest forced progression, keep Ifrit but maybe add a solo mode with NPCs(if possible modulable NPCs, so if you're a tank you get 2DPS and 1Healer NPCs, if you're a DPS you get a Tank+Healer+DPS NPCs), then possibly remove totorak/haukke too and make them optional. I don't think they need to do this right now though, but probably for 2.2 it'd be a good idea.

Tenks

I know I was playing a tank so my experience will be different but I didn't have to wait around for any of the storyline dungeons yet. Maybe 5 minutes being the longest for Satasha. Generally once I queue I get matched up in a minute or two. After being queued for Ifrit for about 10 minutes I got fed up and asked the FC for some help. But if it wasn't for the FC people helping me out I'm sure I would have stayed in the queue for quite a while long.

Tenks

I should also add Ilikethe forced grouping content to advance the storyline. If it wasn't for the storyline forcing me to group I would have completely skipped all the dungeons and probably wouldn't have grouped yet.

Tide27_sl

shitlord
I should also add Ilikethe forced grouping content to advance the storyline. If it wasn't for the storyline forcing me to group I would have completely skipped all the dungeons and probably wouldn't have grouped yet.
As a tank or healer, forced grouping isn't too much of an issue. However, after waiting over 2 hours as a DPS in the que trying to get any of the first 3 dungeons or Ifrit completed, really was an awful experience.

As time goes forward, there will continue to be less and less people doing story, and instead just sitting in Aleport / Quarrymill doing the fate grind. Right now there is zero reason to ever go back and revisit any of the story dungeons. I thought I may get a nice loot or two and try to sell it while running a guild member, but seems that loot is untradeable as well.

I certainly see where there may be an issue in the very near future. Tune fates, buff dungeon exp, or remove them from progression....something will have to be done.

Sean_sl

shitlord
I like it too. I personally think it should stay gated so people are forced to group. However, the 15/161/7 dungeon group right in a row needs to be spread out a lot more. That is some really stupid design to stick those dungeons together like that, especially with how there's plenty of obnoxious grind-required gaps in questing.

Sure, maybe the wait for Ifrit can suck if you're a DPS, but it's not a game-ruiner and you're going to deal with that with most of the group story quests. I think people are making a bit of a mountain out of a molehill. It's really only a "problem" for pure solo players and not a big deal if you have friends.

It's also highly improbable that they will use Dailies in that manner and more likely that they will be done like every other MMO ever.

spronk

FPS noob
Its all just a larger symptom of the core problem: the designers of this game are really, really, really bad, and didn't think through anything beyond "this will be cool once". So play it that way, if you really paid for a 180 day sub you are kinda dumb but its your money, next time just throw it at a homeless guy though at least then a dude will get some nice drugs and alcohol.