Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Furthermore, the first content update (Patch 2.1) is scheduled for release later this December, which will include key features, including Player vs. Player (PvP) battle arena, new dungeons, player housing and more.
"Player" housing? Thought it was only FC.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Initially I was frustrated with the timing of this update but with consoles coming out this November in addition to my work schedule, this may work out perfect for me.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Well looks like twister was nerfed this morning. No ones gonna have a chance to beat the first version other than bg

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
Quick question; I played in beta and loved the game. How is it now that it's released? I never seen the end game(beta didn't allow it after all.)
there is not much in the endgame. other than one raid dungeon (coil), there are basically 1 or 2 dungeons that you have to grind for optimal efficiency. To be honest, only one dungeon seems to be the most optimal way to get your things.

Other than that, there is crafting and gathering, which are saturated with suppliers and not enough buyers. or you can bot and make million per week.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
With them not releasing the patch till December - I would imagine that November isnt going to have a very high sub rate.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
SE is fucking themselves up for delaying it so long. December is bullshit. Why not just release it on fucking January 1st. It won't make a difference.

Guzrog

<Gold Donor>
With them not releasing the patch till December - I would imagine that November isnt going to have a very high sub rate.
I think they will be just fine lol. I'm certain 80% (the people who keep the lights on for the rest of us) or more are not even level 40 on any given class. I'm not saying the game will be wildly successful in 3-6 months but right now they will be just fine.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I don't really buy that the majority haven't hit 50 yet. I played with 2 RL friends who probably only did 6 hours a week and they hit it in the first month. 2 months in and not hitting 50 means you basically just don't even play at all. Either that, or you're brand new and still on the first month...which also means they're not paying a sub to keep everyone afloat yet.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
^ That, and the immense population in Mor Dhona at all times would tend to show that a lot of people are at 50 on at least one class.

Also, since when does being 50 on one or more classes mean that you're poopsocking? Especially in this game, where you basically have to run around in circles spamming Flash or whatever to level on FATEs.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
I don't really buy that the majority haven't hit 50 yet. I played with 2 RL friends who probably only did 6 hours a week and they hit it in the first month. 2 months in and not hitting 50 means you basically just don't even play at all. Either that, or you're brand new and still on the first month...which also means they're not paying a sub to keep everyone afloat yet.
Yeah. I was not a poopsocker, but leveling to 50 does not take long, and if you got in at the beginning and you are not 50 yet, then I would rather call you super casual rather than calling people who are 50 and bored now poopsockers. I leveled by doing all quests and doing dungeons once. I never progressed in the later stages, because I found character progression to stop at 50, where it then turned into the normal gear grind of getting +1 to items by grinding the same dungeons or gear or tomes (I never did either).

Have no 50s in crafting classes as I didn't care for it, but got the main skills required for a caster (swiftcast), which can be done in a few hours with fate grinding, something you have to do when you are 50 in another class due to there not being any quests to do (other than grinding leves which is much slower than fates). I just couldn't be bothered to do alt classes, found fate grinding boring, so I never resubbed after the first month was up. I regarded it more as a decent Final Fantasy game than a long term mmo.

The ones that were 50 within a day or two, and were hitting coil and maxing tomes and alt classes within the first week, yeah, those were the hardcore. Now, so long after release? Within the first free month you can easily max a 50 and experience everything there is to do except perhaps coil with an hour or two effort put in per day (not poopsocker status if you ask me). If you just wanted to see everything, you could take the money you earn on the path to 50 and just buy the primal runs too, just to experience them. When I left, which I guess is a month ago now, the low level zones were already barren except for fate grinders, and when you saw low level people run around elsewhere, it was usually on the 50 mount, so you knew they were alt classes. Within two weeks of release it felt like 50s were everywhere, I do not think that the "majority" of todays players are only 40 still on their first class. Not unless there has been a huge influx of new players since the first month.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
I'd go one step further, actually, and say that it's likely that the majority of non-50s you see in game nowadays are on their nth non-main subclass/job.

Vinen

God is dead
I discovered the fast way to get an item made. Advertised in Mor Dhona WTB HQ Vanya Hat of Casting 330k but only ended up getting tells asking if i wanted to buy a chest (wtf?) or multiple "gracious" crafters saying they'd make one for x fee if I got the mats. Finally got fed up with after the 15th fee spammer and started being a dick "So, you don't have one..." and then railed on him about how this is how crafters get blacklisted by people, actually blacklisted him as he went on a tirade and gave a real snarky next shout. Got 3 tells not too long after, first one from a guy who was in Limsa but I simply said I was by the barrels so 15 seconds later he pops one in trade and he's paid. Turns out the fee spammer I bitched out had complained in a trade linkshell and did free advertising for me.

Sure I could have spent time competing with the same crafters for cheaper than Market Board mats in Mor Dhona, or I could have paid Market board price for the quick route. But then you're handing over 200k+ in mats to a random guy and still running the risk of the crafter DCing + losing the mats mid-craft (Sorry Buiden, since this happened to you right after i got my hat). Bottom line, WTB a finished item means exactly that. Fuck crafters who fee spam more than the RMT bots.

Edit: awww looks like they nuked my thread
All I hear is QQ

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
Not unless there has been a huge influx of new players since the first month.
There is, they halted digital sales for quite awhile and it wasn't opened back up until nearly the first month was up. My first month just ended the other day and I got it a day or so after they reopened digital sales.

In one month I got my main class to 25, another to 18, and another to 10; also 20 in one crafting profession and 10 in another. I've been playing what most people in this forum would consider ultra casually because I've also been playing a good bit of hearthstone, but I had to put AT LEAST 30 hours into the game in that month's span. I imagine if I just focused on my main job I'd be around 40. So maybe a decent amount of the first players are 50, but a lot of people have bought the game since then. I'm sure many others were like myself and this game wasn't even on their radar until they've heard how popular it has become so they wanted to check it out for themselves.
So 30 hours is ultra casual around here and what percentage of the million + copies sold do you think play games more than 30 hours a month? You're guess is as good as mine, but I'm guessing it is nowhere near half and probably less than 1/4. Thus the majority of the game's population is still not 50 in their main role.

Draynar_sl

shitlord
you forget that leveling started way back in p4. So ya even ultra casually alot of people have a single level 50 if they started then.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Is there a strong FFXIV forum community not tied to a guild anywhere? I have just been browsing BG.

Thengel

Golden Knight of the Realm
There is, they halted digital sales for quite awhile and it wasn't opened back up until nearly the first month was up. My first month just ended the other day and I got it a day or so after they reopened digital sales.

In one month I got my main class to 25, another to 18, and another to 10; also 20 in one crafting profession and 10 in another. I've been playing what most people in this forum would consider ultra casually because I've also been playing a good bit of hearthstone, but I had to put AT LEAST 30 hours into the game in that month's span. I imagine if I just focused on my main job I'd be around 40. So maybe a decent amount of the first players are 50, but a lot of people have bought the game since then. I'm sure many others were like myself and this game wasn't even on their radar until they've heard how popular it has become so they wanted to check it out for themselves.
So 30 hours is ultra casual around here and what percentage of the million + copies sold do you think play games more than 30 hours a month? You're guess is as good as mine, but I'm guessing it is nowhere near half and probably less than 1/4. Thus the majority of the game's population is still not 50 in their main role.
This pretty much describes me completely. I believe there has been an influx of players since the first month, due to the suspension of digital sales, just as he said. I bought mine after they opened up digital sales, play casually. My free month is over a week or two ago, and I'm 35. Admittedly I spend way too much time putzing around harvesting and crafting while watching TV and not actually leveling.