Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
you say lol but how many Blizzard patches turned into all day affairs and god awful patch day lag when they did finally come back up.

Valos

Golden Knight of the Realm
Yeah, Im not going to bitch about the first big content patch being estimated at 24hr not when other games have estimated 8-12 and had up to 3 days of problems afterwards.

This of course is null/void if its 24hrs AND a bunch of horrible problems. And if the time doesnt lower as time goes on.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
24 hours if all goes well, there is a ton of content that needs to all work next Monday... PVP, housing, treasure hunting, dailies, new raid zone, new dungeons, 3 new primal modes.

Valos

Golden Knight of the Realm
Are Monks worth the effort yet?
Monks have been and still are top dps. Black mages are right there next to them, if not equal in most fights. Their buffs and positional attacks are getting looked at in the patch as well. Im not counting on that their dps will go up much, but if their greased lit goes up to 20-24 seconds, it will boost their dps for some transitions.

Dragoons are getting basically a 10% increase to dps for sure. I doubt monks will get much outside of quality of life stuff.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Long Story short. Should I get this? I need a game to play on my PC and would like to get into a MMO from scratch. Is this worth it if Im not bringing my own friends to group with? Or should I jsut suck it up and go play guild wars?

InterSlayer_sl

shitlord
Long Story short. Should I get this? I need a game to play on my PC and would like to get into a MMO from scratch. Is this worth it if Im not bringing my own friends to group with? Or should I jsut suck it up and go play guild wars?
FF14 is great if you're want to try out a classic MMO with the trinity (tank/healer/dps), challenging PVE content, etc.

GW2 is good if you want to try a mmo with newer MMO (no trinity, mediocre PVE, has excellent PVP/WvW, plenty of content updates, also no sub fee).

InterSlayer_sl

shitlord
FF14 is great if you're want to try out a new MMO with classic MMO traits: trinity (tank/healer/dps), challenging PVE content, pacing around town or playing other games between content patches, etc.

GW2 is good if you want to try a different MMO (no trinity, mediocre PVE, has excellent PVP/WvW, plenty of content updates, also no sub fee).

spronk

FPS noob
both games are kinda shitty if you are playing alone. I'd say try gw2 first, since you can jump in and out anytime without having to deal with sub fees, but wait until its on sale again - it should be $25 sometime in the next few weeks. if you have a ps3 ff14 is $10 on ps+ and you get a month, otherwise its $15 on pc every now and then but it does have a sub fee so quitting for a few weeks and then picking it back up will cost you $15/mo.

get battlefield 4 and assassins creed 4 and a 3ds xl instead, way more fun

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Why should that be the standard by which we're satisfied with what happens now?
Because you get to a point where you realize, a major patch is always going to have problems, it will never be perfect and you can never account for everything that could happen. No company can and I never expect them too.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
It has kept my interest far longer than GW2, I'll say that.

Junun

Silver Knight of the Realm
The most challenging thing in FF14 is dealing with the horrible, horrible telegraph system.
^this....it's beyond frustrating. Plus the fact that I get random dropped packets to their servers(and nowhere else) makes end game impossible for me. Oddly I still enjoy the game though lol

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
^this....it's beyond frustrating. Plus the fact that I get random dropped packets to their servers(and nowhere else) makes end game impossible for me. Oddly I still enjoy the game though lol
If you have Asus Suite running turn that off, causes packet loss in most MMO's.

axeman_sl

shitlord
It's below average on pretty literally every front, including non-gameplay things like connectivity and customer support. Graphics aside, I'd say nothing about this game lives up to the industry's most basic standards, though some things are good enough to function. The game also has some severe security issues and is run by a company specifically known to never fix shit. The only way I could possibly recommend FFXIV is if you have a unique craving for a new MMORPG that tries to be traditional (i.e. doing nothing new whatsoever) but has 2013 graphics. If you care at all about the quality of the actual gameplay, this game is a brisk step short of even the most reasonable expectations.