Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I finished gearing up and unlocking all the recipes on my weaver. This shit was way retarded. The master book 2 mats crafting is some of the shittiest RNG based asian crap ever. You need maximum stats to even attempt it, and even with those maximum stats you need an insane luck to even get it done. Basically you either need to get 12x 80% chance to succeed AND get a 25%chance proc(for Good) on the last 2 steps or you need to get 10ish x 80%chance and then get a 5%chance to proc(Excelent) on those last 2 hits. All the while you also need to get enough Good procs to have the CP to finish. Most of the tries end right at the start when you Rapid Synth and fail, which forces you to cancel the craft with Reclaim, which has a 10% to eat the materials anyway. I spent like 3hours crafting and about a million in FC3s, and that's with FC3s being worth jackshit nowadays. Overall spent like 8millions on catching up and I didn't have to buy materias cause I had a bunch. 3millions for the new artisan armor, 1.5million for the offhand, 1.5million for the supra, 1million for the book and then random expenses like low level materias, potash for the vanya for the first book and so on.

On the positive side, if I can sell 4 items crafted, I can make all that money back. I made one already and hope it'll sell relatively quickly so I can make more. Well that and the fact I don't have room on my retainers to sell shit.

Valos

Golden Knight of the Realm
So I understand the job system a little bit but coming from all other mmos I'm still trying to grasp the idea. Unless I want to look different there isn't a reason to make alts? Just switch weapons and gear sets and good to go?
Unless you want one for looks, correct. One dude to be them all. Having an alt for some bank space isnt a bad thing though.

Tonic_sl

shitlord
I finished gearing up and unlocking all the recipes on my weaver. This shit was way retarded. The master book 2 mats crafting is some of the shittiest RNG based asian crap ever. You need maximum stats to even attempt it, and even with those maximum stats you need an insane luck to even get it done. Basically you either need to get 12x 80% chance to succeed AND get a 25%chance proc(for Good) on the last 2 steps or you need to get 10ish x 80%chance and then get a 5%chance to proc(Excelent) on those last 2 hits. All the while you also need to get enough Good procs to have the CP to finish. Most of the tries end right at the start when you Rapid Synth and fail, which forces you to cancel the craft with Reclaim, which has a 10% to eat the materials anyway. I spent like 3hours crafting and about a million in FC3s, and that's with FC3s being worth jackshit nowadays. Overall spent like 8millions on catching up and I didn't have to buy materias cause I had a bunch. 3millions for the new artisan armor, 1.5million for the offhand, 1.5million for the supra, 1million for the book and then random expenses like low level materias, potash for the vanya for the first book and so on.

On the positive side, if I can sell 4 items crafted, I can make all that money back. I made one already and hope it'll sell relatively quickly so I can make more. Well that and the fact I don't have room on my retainers to sell shit.
The one thing I regret from release is not hopping on the crafting train when everyone else was doing it at start. I'm so fucking poor now (600k) and have nothing leveled other than Fishing. Other than getting everything to 15 for the skills, IYO what's the 1 class to focus on for best profit return?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
The one thing I regret from release is not hopping on the crafting train when everyone else was doing it at start. I'm so fucking poor now (600k) and have nothing leveled other than Fishing. Other than getting everything to 15 for the skills, IYO what's the 1 class to focus on for best profit return?
You can't really level just one class. I mean you can but you can't do that much without most classes at 50. The bare minimum is 37 CUL, 15 ALC(preferably 50), 50 WVR, 50 CRP, 15 BSM(preferably 50) and 15 LTW/15 GSM are pretty useful. The problem is catching up now is a pain. I wasn't far behind when I started and it still cost me a fuckton. You'd first have to craft and meld all the jewelry+belt+AF chest, get artisan goggles and then do what I did. That's like 5-6millions and a lot of time, and that'd be to gear a single class(though there's a lot of overlap I guess).

You can make money with basic items that people use for spiritbinding and what not though. That's what I did when I started playing again. The stuff to check are crafting/gathering jewelry/belt, the lvl 45-50 white stuff, like Raptorskin choker/ring/belt and Electrum earring/choker/wristlets and Red coral earring. Those are easy to make, you'll want LTW and GSM to 50 though, but they tend to sell for a decent bit more than what the mats are worth. The problem is, it's small differences overall so you need to move a lot of them to matter. You basically need to restock often and adjust the prices so you're always lower. But generally mats cost like 1k and the items sell for 10-15k and sell at a decent pace, kinda. Other stuff are relics, especially melded relics. I mean relic precursor, the stuff you need for the quest. Materials tend to be 10k ish but if you meld the item and HQ it(even though it's pointless to HQ since it's a turn in item, but HQ sells better and for more) you can generally sell them for 50-70k, and they're easy to make since they're only 1star stuff.

Though this is only good if you can play with the market a lot, it doesn't necessarily take a lot of time crafting, but you need to be able to check your shit regularily, so it's not good if you can only play in the evening or whatever.

A much easier way to make use of crafting for money is to craft spiritbinding shit for yourself and then break it down into materias, the materia market is ridiculous because of relics, stuff like crit and det IV materias go for 500+k. Obviously a lot of the materias you get will suck but it's still worth doing cause you can bind pretty fast especially in a group(often groups in PF for that) and if you bind like 10sets in a couple of hours you're bound to find some decent materias. The stuff you bind doesn't need highly geared crafters, basically just need 50 in the stuff you're gonna use(wvr for cloth etc). Also make sure to save all IV materias you get even the resists, since you can trade 5 materias for a random one at Mutamix, so you can sometimes salvage the garbage(it's not like you could do anything else with them anyway).

Spiritbinding is definitely the good way to make money atm if you don't already have a good base for crafting. Crafting is a massive investment, both in time and money, you basically have to spend a lot of money to make a lot of money, it's hard to get back into it unless you have a lot of time. If you're ahead of the masses you can make money hand over fist(the top crafter in my FC made like 200+millions during the first month of 2.4 for example) but for most people, you make small money over a long period of time, and only if you spend a lot of time. If I didn't like crafting I probably wouldn't bother doing it and would spiritbind instead, it's just a lot easier to deal with.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
That's some intense love of crafting to go through all that. Makes the china man busy though I bet, at $1.99 per million gil.
wink.png

Xaxius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Sad how a game with less than 1 million subs puts out more content than one with 10m+.

Analysis on Square Enix Annual Report 2014

"Three major MMO titles-"FINAL FANTASY XIV: A REALM REBORN," which began operation last August, "DRAGON QUEST X," which was launched in August 2012, and "FINAL FANTASY XI," which has entered its thirteenth year of operation-maintain nearly1,000,000 paying subscribers all together, and have established a solid revenue base." (pg 4)
Still, I'm pretty surprised that FFXIV is probably hovering around 600k-700k subs. SE seems to be pleased and, if they keep up this content release schedule, I will be too.

***EDIT*** Talk about bad gaming journalism (if you can even call it that). That fiscal report is through March 31st, 2014 when it was released and not released yesterday as that site claims.
eek.png

rrr_img_86946.png

Crone

Complacency maybe? They don't have to put out that much content to retain that many subs, so why do it? And then we bitch about it but how many of us go crawling back everytime.

So for healing I noticed scholars are healers as well. What's the difference between white mages and scholars?

Also, what's considered the best way to level up different jobs. I assume get 30 in one, then go for next class to 15 to get your sub job? Does it matter at all? Get 50 on conjurer first before doing anything else?

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
The difference between WHM and SCH is pretty much WHM is heals and SCH is shields (plus smaller heals). Scholars are definitely less popular in high level play, but any group without Scholar shields is just asking to get rekt if they can't dodge.

One WHM and one SCH is the ideal healing comp for a party. Most content can still be cleared with two WHMs. It is extremely difficult to clear healing-intensive fights with two SCHs because shields don't stack.

WHMs chew through mana and often need a Bard to keep their mana up. SCHs do not run out of mana, unless they suck.

WHMs have Cleric Stance + Holy spam to help out with AoE DPS. SCHs can Cleric Stance + Shadow Flare for significantly less DPS, but they also get a pet which altetnates between +Skill Speed and +Cast Speed buffs for your group.

For leveling classes, it depends. For any job except Warrior, get your base class to 30 and your sub class to 15 then immediately start your job quests. (Your job level is always identical to the level of its base class.)

For Warrior, you need to get Gladiator up to 22 so you can have Provoke. If you try to do any group content without Provoke, everyone will hate you. (Later, you will also want to get Gladiator to 34 for Awareness which is good for high-tier group content.)

For both Scholar and White Mage, you should think about getting Thaumaturge to 26 at some point so you can get Swiftcast. Not needed for easier group content, but extremely clutch to have for when you need to instantly revive people.

And for Scholar, you may want to get Conjurer to 34 for Stoneskin.

Draynar_sl

shitlord
Complacency maybe? They don't have to put out that much content to retain that many subs, so why do it? And then we bitch about it but how many of us go crawling back everytime.

So for healing I noticed scholars are healers as well. What's the difference between white mages and scholars?

Also, what's considered the best way to level up different jobs. I assume get 30 in one, then go for next class to 15 to get your sub job? Does it matter at all? Get 50 on conjurer first before doing anything else?
Don't feel the above answer about Sch/Whm really covered the differences in raiding and content well. I've beaten up to t12 as whm and sch so try to give thorough idea of the differences.

First of all they do heal very differently.

Sch has a pet providing a very large amount of their healing. (pet cast 300 potency heals) your primary heal as sch for comparison is 400 potency. (Adlo is not primary that is for shielding big hits unless you like having no mana but Adlo is 600-900 potency depending on if you crit or not)

White Mage has a shield as well that is needed for some large hits but it's a slow cast and very mana inefficient for most part WHM are keeping regen up on tanks to smooth damage curves and casting cure 1 to proc free cure 2's. WHM's does bring far superior group healing.

Sch for group healing generally is all preventative, they have sacred soul a 10% damage reduction and a weak aoe heal with a shield. Usually you'll cast before a big aoe and once after to help. WHM will either do a medica 2 medica or cure 3 or maybe 2 of the listed spells if it was a really really big hit.

Neither class has more mana issues then other long as you're popping mana recovery skill on CD. (Alot of whm's save it for agro causing them mana issues instead of just not throwing medica2/regen on a target before adds spawn)

Also a big thing for good sch's is they are expected to DPS. Scholars can do far better DPS then WHM for a few reasons, mainly the pet is still throwing out heals and they have far more dots. Sch can do 200-300 DPS at any time during the fight. (generally 200ish range if you're just tossing dots then going back to healing) also they have a skill called lustrate which heals on % of target HP and cleric stance doesn't lower how much it heals. WHM Holy spam is solid thought but SCH can do that as well by spreading their dots much like a summoner. Depends on fight thought for Ex on Shiva both SCH and WHM can dps during first adds to really bring them down fast and let SCH fairy keep tank up alone with lustrates and regen)

Crone

Good stuff! Have some damn experts up in here! Holla!

Definitely going WHM, I appreciate all the input. Will get Conjurer to 30, then Arcanist to 15, and then just keep leveling like crazy. Dungeon experience is really good, so I've been happy using the Duty Finder.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Trust me on this, you aren't really enjoying WHM until regen is unlocked. Then you are basically tossing a regen on the tank and then cure1-ing until it procs, then you drop the cure 2 whenever necessary during it's freecast duration and looking for regen to drop. Regen > * for any sort of group action, and even most raid action. And it makes healing those ae absorbing ranged types so much easier.

Forgot to mention the obvious, but the key part of regen being awesome is that it allows you to drop aeros/stone2s like a champ and you can basically stay in Cleric Stance the majority of the time depending on tank durability. Which, even though apparently there's some disparity between paladins and warriors at the absolute high end, I would be hard pressed to say that they were really that drastically different in healing while leveling. This of course depends on if the warrior is using his defensive cooldowns when possible, which they should theoretically be built into macros and shit if he/she isn't saving them for specific damage spikes. Outside of bosses, they should be popping that shit like candy thanks to the low reset period.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
On the DPS part, a large reason SCH is much better than WHM to do DPS on bosses(other than aoe since Holy is king, even amongst DPS classes) is because Bio and Bio 2 can't miss, due to having no initial damage. Considering healers have shit for accuracy, you end up missing a lot, but a SCH can always land 2 out of his 3 dots(4 if you have aero also). Similarily, Shadow Flare always hits because it's a ground effect, and since it lasts for a while, you can generally precast it during phase changes and shit.

On mana issues, WHMs are a lot better now, but still run into issues if they end up having to rez too many people. Nothing a bard can't fix though.

SCH brings a lot of cool option which makes it way better than a 2nd WHM, but at the same time you definitely don't want to 2 SCH heal hard content, it sucks dicks since most fights have heavy doses of raid wide damage. You can in theory alternate fairies aoe heals but that limits your DPS and shit, it's not so good. 1 of each is best and is generally what most people go with, but 2 WHMs is also better than 2 SCHs. For dungeons doesn't make much of a difference but I much prefer playing scholar since I can generally DPS almost the entire time, just throwing lustrate on the tank while the fairy heals. Oh and SCH is a ton better for leveling, but that's not that much of an advantage.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah, the big bonus for 2 whms is that medica 2 stacks with itself, so two WHMs can drop their trow and raid heal like bosses for the duration. If you aren't rezing someone, you instacast that shit and then go back to tossing regen on the tank/tanks. The hardest part of playing a whm is knowing to drop whatever you are casting and get the hell out of a cone attack or something similar. Thanks to a lot of the encounters, it is just a good idea to bail out of a cast no matter how close in order to avoid an ability, since most of the the abilities tend to either KB you or impose some sort of negative status. Sure you can cast esuna, but avoiding it means you just go back to healing like a boss.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Crafting was and still is absurdly easy, especially with challenges and if you have all your leves.. daily beast quests and stuff. I feel on the super hard things to make though, but honestly, with reclaim its not that bad. FC Demi 3 is much easier to get now, esp with a high LTW desyn and if I'm not going to make it, reclaim is easy choice. It does suck though but you can still pull it off without too much loss.

The main thing that pissed me off was spending countless millions on materia melding only to have it go to waste with them having artisan pieces. lol.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
The master II books aren't "easy". I mean, they aren't really hard either I guess, it's just pure RNG shitfest. Everything else is a ton easier, including the 4 star you unlock from the books. Reclaim is nice but you still eventually loses money, and the process is just boring as shit since it's purely a matter of hitting all/almost all your touches or restarting. There isn't really much room to get creative or whatever, just not enough CP, need too many steps for progress and you need a ton of stacks to even get a decent % on a Good proc on byregot. And obviously if it's not 100%, you might still get fucked.

Catching up though is definitely long, and it takes a lot of money. Or just a lot of money since you can bypass most time gating with money thrown at it.

On artisan stuff, if you had all your armor melded, you don't really have to replace them. You only lose 9 control total over the 3pieces, and you only need like 4 iirc to make the 4star reqs, so basically you need to meld your offhand with a command IV on top of the 3 craft III(or more depending on your wallet) and you're at the same point, without having to spend 3millions on the new artisan. On the other hand if you didn't have full armor like me, it's a good investment since artisan isn't class specific, so now I have perfectly melded legs/boots/gloves on every craft class rather than just alchemist. With the goggles and the jewelry/belt stuff, pretty much the only things I have to meld anymore now are chest and offhand, and I assume chest is coming next patch too.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Positional requirements on monk attacks would be alot less annoying if bosses didnt spin around most of the time.
Well you only lose damage when you mess it up so it's not a huge deal. That's one of the reasons DRG was pretty shit before and is now a lot better after the buff, they removed a lot of the positional hard requirements and made them into soft requirements, where being in the wrong position does less damage but still counts as a combo. Before with DRG you'd be like, ok I go to the side to buff, oops mob turned, now I do shit damage AND I'm still not buffed so I need another side, but boss is turned weird and might turn again before I hit, whelp fuck. Now well you do less dmg and that's annoying for sure but you still get the buffs/debuffs going, same as monk.

Not that I care, been playing BLM since I started again. Damage variance is pretty fucking huge though depending on how many mechanics I have to dodge and how lucky I am on procs. Like I just did 4 Shiva EX and got 362, 418, 314, 438 DPS. I don't even understand the 314, might have to do with the break between phases though I don't know, but still I often go between 360 and 450(mind you, char's not fully geared, it's i108 with the i115 shiva weap, only one piece of poetics cause I took a break for most of the patch). I think I'm ok with these numbers though, once I get a poetics weap in 2.5 I'll probably be closer to 450-500 which is solid DPS. The class is awesome for daillies and shit too, you kinda 2shot everything and you're ranged, plus if you do like boss FATEs or what not, you don't suffer from positional penalties and most mobs don't hit hard enough to actually interupt you or force you to move with a chocobo healing. Kinda just wish Scathe wasn't hot garbage for these high mobility sequences.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Hi I'm a NIN and what is a "positional requirement?"
Yeah you say that, and then you trick attack when the boss turns around and you just wasted a 1min cooldown. I hated that shit when I played ninja, though you have some time to make sure the boss isn't turning after you Suiton. But otherwise it's definitely a nice class compared to the other 2 in terms of just hitting shit, especially for daillies and stuff, combined with Raiton/Sneak bursts, you can clear stuff quickly also. That's what I played in the first few weeks of 2.4, but when I started again last week I figured I shouldn't bother with NIN cause it's too lag sensitive and I don't want my DPS to be capped by that, plus small lag spikes would make me fuck up ninjutsus cause sometimes it displayed the effect of a mantra but didn't actually register, which was horrible. Nothing like Kassatsu > Rabbit.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
Good stuff! Have some damn experts up in here! Holla!

Definitely going WHM, I appreciate all the input. Will get Conjurer to 30, then Arcanist to 15, and then just keep leveling like crazy. Dungeon experience is really good, so I've been happy using the Duty Finder.
Only skim read so not sure if it was mentioned but you may not be aware Scholars base class is Arcanist and is the only class that levels up two jobs concurrently - Scholar and Summoner. Summoner is pet DPS. You can switch between Scholar and Summoner and they both get the XP. You'll need to do lots of things solo like questing so being able to switch into a DPS class is massive. Scholar >>>>> WHM for first class to level.