Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
WoD is 120 ilvl, and you should definitely get your story to that and past so that you can unlock the weekly,which will let you get an ilvl 130 weapon in a couple of weeks. It isn't main story quest and it really just involves clearing labyrinth/st/wod once each to unlock, then you just do all 3 again each week for the quest.
Which weapon is this??

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Ahh, didn't realize that could be enhanced to ilvl130. Nice! Yeah i'm gonna be twelve tomestones shy this week due to the cap....

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah, definitely worth doing if you don't already have a relic in the 110 plus stages. This close to the xpac, you're just looking at a shitload of uninteresting grinding to get it to the same ilvl as the ironworks weapon, which is really just a few dungeons each week along with the 3 "raids."

Nehrak_sl

shitlord
Yeah, definitely worth doing if you don't already have a relic in the 110 plus stages. This close to the xpac, you're just looking at a shitload of uninteresting grinding to get it to the same ilvl as the ironworks weapon, which is really just a few dungeons each week along with the 3 "raids."
I'm honestly hoping that the 3.x relic will give you a partial headstart on it even if you've only got the original to just Zenith. Just to pull a pure example out of my ass, here's a comparison-and-contrast of what I mean:

BASE RELIC STEPS
- Get X/Y/Z rare mats which might drop in some dungeon or what have you.
- Get 3.x relic base weapon from rare mats (like the i55's for 2.x relics).
- Jump through these hoops and/or trials.
- Kill bosses 1/2/3.
- Special solo instance just for you with superboss to complete/awaken/attune it.

3.X RELIC (ALREADY HAVE 2.X RELIC)
- Zenith: 1-or-2 less rare mats to get.
- Atma: Less rare mats to get.
- Animus: No rare mats.
- Novus: Less trials/bosses.
- Nexus: 1-or-2 trials/bosses.
- Zodiac: No assembly necessary; few trials/bosses.
- Zeta: Just kill last boss in chain and you're done, because omg your weapon is already awesome.

In other words, how far you were for a given relic is how much (less) work you do, but you can still turn in the old one for credit, albeit very little credit if all you did was the base relic + Zenith.

turbo

Molten Core Raider
God damnit, been clean for 1.2 years since my last brief MMO relapse (outside of that been off the junk since I quit FFXIV after original tour; was awesome I 2 boxed accounts and cornered the crafting market and made so much gil! god I love start ups of MMO's).

Just snagged an account as I definitely don't have time to get all classes max level etc; downloading now (FU 4 hr DL). Is Gilgamesh the best server to transfer if possible by the sounds of it (from the aspect of board players)? Going to take some time to knock the rust off but once upon a time daddy dropped the BLM damage like no other. Also on the crafting side; any indication that lucis (sp?) gear is worthwhile farming going into expansion? Account I snagged has a lot of great crafting gear but no Lucis. Think it matters or should I just focus on getting back into the PVE swing of things on 2 roles and be ready for the expansion.

turbo

Molten Core Raider
Also if someone doesn't mind providing any insight on the following it would be much appreciated

1) I have 10-15M gil I need to liquidate by buying items and reselling on the server I transfer to (??? still god damn 1M limit after all this time....I guess I like that they try to deter the gil sellers); any suggestions on what item(s) still have a high demand and decent price tag?

2) Just trying to catch up on some of the extra's they added, any critical things I should be trying to do on a daily basis? Saw something about card games or some shit as well as chobo racing?

3) PVP still pure shit or any fun? I've went from not PVP'ing primarily the first 10 years of my MMO career to actually really enjoying it. When I quit it was the worst PVP experience I've ever seen but it was pretty fresh still.

4) How is Pal Vs War tanking? Figured I'd main BLM but should focus on a 2nd role and I fucking hate melee dps. I've always healed as a second role but I really hated the interface when I tried early on so guessing tanks are still in a lot of demand?

5) Houses do anything for a person? Or strictly cosmetics?

Appreciate any feedback you can provide!

turbo

Molten Core Raider
Ok final dumb question...I go to update (I had the base game still on my second drive) and when I launched it said I didn't have 1444 MB of space on my C drive and it closes out. So I go and delete everything humanly possible (long story, 40GB SSD drive for start up but some how its always max space and I fucking can't get it below hardly 1 GB space no matter what I try, Winsxs is huge and ive tried disk clean up). Anywhose I just manage to get 1.5 GB free....download for an hour or so and notice my speed went from 1mb a second to .23, so I figure I'd restart the update just to see if that helps. Fucking I get the same issue now and the only thing I can delete probably is whatever the game started downloading on the C drive for the update which would start me back at square one.

So....is there an option somewhere to designate exactly where your "update file" goes when you try and update the client? I see no options anywhere on the client, so fucking frustrating. The game itself is on my F drive so wtf is it requiring my c drive to be free. Fucking 250 GB SSD that I run all games on just free of space....

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
The 2.0 relic isn't going to have any influence whatsoever on the 3.0 equivalent.
From Yoshi's quotes it sounded like it would have some effect. Not like a statistical thing, but perhaps skipping a few steps or not needing to get the first item like the crafted+materia needed for the initial relics. I don't expect them to make it a big shortcut or anything, and I vaguely remember reading that it would Zodiak only, so you gotta get the 135 version or no dice. I know there's not going to be a Zodiak type deal for the new classes, they are on whatever progression path there is with the 3.1 deal. From his quotes, there's going to be a big ilvl jump in 3.0, and with ilvl 100 stuff being baseline now for 50 and a week, I would imagine that our 130s/5s will be looking like shit a lot faster than most are probably anticipating. Ah well, we'll see in two months.

Edit: Turbo, go to the server you are moving to and see if the Ehcatl sealants are still selling for 80k+ each. If the price is similar on your server, pick a shitload up and then flood the Marketboard on the other server. Or look at the cost of Materia there and you might even make a profit. Just make sure you do it fast, because as time goes on that sealant price (if you do that) will probably tank further as the expansion nears. I know on Gilg if I put one up for 5gil under the lowest price it is gone within minutes.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
From Yoshi's quotes it sounded like it would have some effect. Not like a statistical thing, but perhaps skipping a few steps or not needing to get the first item like the crafted+materia needed for the initial relics. I don't expect them to make it a big shortcut or anything, and I vaguely remember reading that it would Zodiak only, so you gotta get the 135 version or no dice. I know there's not going to be a Zodiak type deal for the new classes, they are on whatever progression path there is with the 3.1 deal. From his quotes, there's going to be a big ilvl jump in 3.0, and with ilvl 100 stuff being baseline now for 50 and a week, I would imagine that our 130s/5s will be looking like shit a lot faster than most are probably anticipating. Ah well, we'll see in two months.
Nehrak's link is old, it has since been stated that the 3.0 relic quest will be separate from the Zodiac quest line. The quotes you see saying "Zodiac weapons won't be useless" translates to "you can use them for leveling."

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
New classes don't get a zodiac questline, so yeah it'll be either complete useless, or very slightly useful to skip maybe one step of the new relic, like go kill those 2 primals for drops and fuse into crafted weapon with materia, or bring me a zodiac kind of shit. Xhich would save you small amounts of money and a little bit of time, yet is mostly irrelevant since you'd kill those bosses for quests anyway and the amount of money is going to be super low due to being entry level relic for new players and what not.

So doing your relic now is pretty fucking pointless unless you're really addicted to the game or already pretty far into it. It takes like over a month of fairly intensive farming to get a relic from scratch, and most of that month is spent doing the same content over and over.

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm almost sold on this game, for some reason even the dumbest quest is not annoying me in the least, I guess I like the whole package, the atmosphere, the sounds and the graphics. The slow paced gameplay is nothing but a bonus for me, I was a bit bored by all the super twitchy gameplay, it doesn't seem much, but it's better in the end (at least at low levels).

A couple dumb questions to more experienced players:

- I'm on trial, so if I buy, do I get the 1st month free? I guess so, but SE...
- Is it better to level one class to max before bothering with the others?
- Scholar: can it be a full healer for all content or is it a half assed attempt at being one, good only for some content?
- End game is raid only? If so how large are end game groups?
- Crafting: at what level should I start with this? Gathering only or producing? I'm usually not too much into crafting, but maybe it's interesting in this game.

Thanks in advance.

Citz

Silver Squire
I'm almost sold on this game, for some reason even the dumbest quest is not annoying me in the least, I guess I like the whole package, the atmosphere, the sounds and the graphics. The slow paced gameplay is nothing but a bonus for me, I was a bit bored by all the super twitchy gameplay, it doesn't seem much, but it's better in the end (at least at low levels).

- Scholar: can it be a full healer for all content or is it a half assed attempt at being one, good only for some content?
- Crafting: at what level should I start with this? Gathering only or producing? I'm usually not too much into crafting, but maybe it's interesting in this game.

Thanks in advance.
1) Yes
2) I'd say so, yes. Basically, level up by doing your main story/unlock everything important. Exception being you that will need to get another class to lvl 15 in order to get your main job at lvl 30.
3) Both white mage and scholar are good healers. To be effective though, you will need to level some other class in order to get important cross-class skills (like Swift cast)
4) Best gear can be obtained through weekly grinding (poetics) or end-game raiding (final coil). End-game is a party of 8. There are also some easy raids with 24 people that is great for gearing up.
5) In my opinion, unless you intend to become a full blown crafter, meaning leveling ALL crafters to 50, crafting can be ignored. Crafting can be quite costly to level up. If you want to make some easy money, having at least one gathering job leveled is great.

Draynar_sl

shitlord

Thanks in advance.
- Don't know.
- Yes you get a leveling bonus to other classes one when is maxed.
- SCH can solo heal even the last fight of the game same as WHM sch with whm is expected to add DPS to fights.
- No there is tons of non raid content. The difficult raids are 8 man. Easy raids that are for catch up gear and story are 24 man (3 8 man groups)
-

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Happy to hear about the relic. As I haven't played since launch and getting back into now to try a ninja, I wont have to slog through doing all the relic stuff to catch up.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I'd say, give crafting a try, you can get to 15-20 with mats bought from the NPC are the guild, you can see how it works in this game, it's using a minigame to craft rather than just "click ok to craft your items" and you rarely grind the same item over and over for leveling but instead craft one of each item for discovery bonus and then do work order quests things(with leves, so you do need a bunch of these free) which provide great xp. That said, it isn't like wow and such where every class is meant to have one craft leveled for the perks they add and what not, crafting is its entire own thing, it has its own progression system and all the stuff you craft can be sold so there's no perks to having or not having a craft, it's purely for making money and the way they designed the game, even though the best loot drops from raid, it's still useful and relevant(jewelry tends to be better than raid drops for example due to the customization, although they also cost a fuckton of money so not everyone can afford it).

It's a fun thing to do, but it's also very late to get into crafting so you're probably never reaching the "endgame" of crafting. Then again unlike raiding, it isn't capped by weekly locks and what not(well I guess they mostly removed these, but still, poetics weekly cap) so if you play a fuckton you can kinda catch up on crafting, but you'd need massive dedication, and while you'd become rich out of it, gold has fairly limited uses other than well, buying crafted stuff. Can buy clears for every raids though, so interestingly enough it's an alternative method to clearing all content before the expansion, raise funds and buy your way into everything.

Other questions already answered, but in general on classes, no class is bad. There's not many and they did a good job at buffing stuff that was too weak, even though for dragoon it took a fucking long time to get there. Healers have pretty much been untouched since launch though and they're both excelent healers for all types of content and the preferred 8man setup is 1 of each because they complement each other very well.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord

Thanks in advance.
Word of advice on levelling up your primary and secondary classes to unlock your first job. Assuming both of your classes wear the same armor type, don't sell or convert your old equipment into materia until you know you won't ever need it again or you have so much gil that you don't have to worry about the cost.

Both classes for my monk use Disciplle of War gear. I sold all my armor that was below level 15 while I was levelling up pugilist. When I got to level 30 pugilist, I switched over to lancer and started back over at level 1. I could no longer equip my level 30 DoW armor so I had to go out and buy the same pieces of armor that I had just recently sold.

Kaljin

N00b
Word of advice on levelling up your primary and secondary classes to unlock your first job. Assuming both of your classes wear the same armor type, don't sell or convert your old equipment into materia until you know you won't ever need it again or you have so much gil that you don't have to worry about the cost.
^ This.

I leveled every job to 15 just so I could get a "feel" for each class - melee dps, ranged dps and heals/tanking. It lets you get to know each job (class) and then you pursue on what will be your "main" job. Plus you get traits from the past classes you leveled to 15 and can mix/match.

Gladiator/Conjurer at 15/20 is a nice mini paladin.