Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Kantern

Silver Knight of the Realm
I can't remember if I read this tip here or on reddit. I just made use of it for the first time ever and it was a nice chunk of leveling exp.

For guildhest first time bonuses, they are tied separately from class and job. So you can do all guildhest 1-40 as conjurer get bonus, and then all guildhest 1-40 again as white mage and get bonus.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
There is some kind of guide that tells you how to 'quickstart' your classes around what role type you want to play (not sure where) but FFXIV isn't really the kind of game where you pick one class and then run straight through to the end due to cross-skill classing. There are some classes you want to take a few levels even if you have no real interest in playing them because they make leveling faster and some classes that you want to take many levels in because some skills they have will be mandatory at endgame. Some examples are:

Conjurer to Level 2 to get a basic heal (Cure). 8 if you want Protect which is a buff damage mitigation.
Puglist to Level 4 to get Featherfoot (15% evasion buff for 10 secs). 8 for Second Wind (free no cost heal)
Archer to Lev4 to get Raging Strikes (20% dmg increase/20 secs).
Gladiator to Lev6 to get Fight or Flight (30% physical dmg buff/20 secs).

Those are some basics but really it depends on what role you want longterm as to what second/third classes you will level alongside of it and to what jumping-off point down the line, but they will give you a good idea of how each class plays. Ones like Lancer and Maurader people play but they don't really have good cross-classing skills early for other classes until much later on (like 30+) so you don't have to play them first unless you're sure you want to be a Dragoon or Warrior endgame.

Once you hit 30 you'll evolve into your main job (if you last that long) abandoning whatever one you started with, since basic classes in this game are never played at endgame or even after 30.
I'm looking for this quick start thing now. Can't seem to find it. Do you remember where it was?

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The extremely low-level city quests give next to no exp (the whole town gets you to level 3, which you can basically do by just killing shit for a minute outside), but they do give you a decent shot int he arm of starting Gil. Which you'll need, since one of the first low level main story quests requires you to be wearing all level 5+ gear down the left side of your character... before you actually have a chance to get leggings from a quest, so you'll end up having to spend gil on a piece or two of gear to meet the quest's gear reqs.

After level 15, stay queued for Dungeons as much as possible, as their exp is bonkers. In your 20s, a quest may give you 6k exp for running all over the place doing shit and sitting through cut scenes. A single mob kill in the dungeon gives you 800-1.3k exp at that range, and they die fast.

Also, your guildhest first-time bonuses are on a per-class basis, so do your guildhests as you level, as opposed to what that guide tells you to do.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Should I be leveling up subjobs like Jack mentioned for those extra abilities?
You'll have to do at least one class to 30 and one to 15, to get one job.

Cross-Skills are another story. For say like me as BLM I could easily get by without using any of them. My dps would drop a little and lose some Utility, but I could get by just fine outside progression. But for some its pretty damn important, like provoke for Wars, Invigorate for TP based classes.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
For solo-leveling, it felt useful to pick up some level of Conjurer for Cure+Protect, and some levels of Monk for their version of Mend I can't remember the name of.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
Should I be leveling up subjobs like Jack mentioned for those extra abilities?
FFXIV General Leveling Guide Tips

This site is reputable. Didn't follow this guide since I was a 1.0 player but it's pretty detailed.

The main reason you want to do those low cross-skills as I said earlier is getting them out of the way for other classes later. You don't have to do them to not die, but it's pretty useful being able to add those heals/protect etc for the class stories where you can only solo them. If you're planning on tanking remember that in FFXIV early tanking sucks hard. You won't be able to keep hate for any decent time doing the early dungeons and the dps that level don't care/know about hate/enmity, but you could let whoever that lev50 guy is in your party leveling up a cross class now die. That's the downside to flying to 50 in one shot on one class; no matter what you do, you're going to have to come back and start at least three more classes from Level 1 again. You don't have to take those to 50, but some are like 18, 24, 38, etc.

Like for a Scholar, you want Stoneskin and Regen so you're gonna need to level Conjurer to at least 30 to get White Mage and then take that a few levels to get Stoneskin II or whatever (things like that). Tanking is the same way; you can start a Gladiator/Marauder and go right to 50 if you like, but you're still gonna have to come back and do some other classes again for additional tanking defense buffs. That's why a lot of people do it as they go along because they can share/save the gear between classes.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
I've never played this game, figured I'd try it out. Is there anything worth discussing or looking up before I start or is it usually MMO stuff. Any thing I should avoid?
It's a good game but based on your posting history and dislike of tab targeting WoW-like combat and themepark MMOs you will have to deal with all that.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
I don't know, I wouldn't personally recommend a new player grind through early levels on multiple classes as early levels are boring as fuck and likely to drive them away with false impressions. Maybe i'm lucky, but every class I have played so far doesn't reallyneedcross class skills to progress. I mean, CNJ for cure/protect is a bit of a no brainer but even those are just QOL improvements that depending on your class may even be negligible.

I say find a job that catches your eye, work to unlock it and go from there.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
You're welcome. I was just surprised to see you (and Utnayan a couple weeks earlier) playing a MMO that has every major design feature you always complain about.
We complained about TESO sucking ass. What does that have to do with MMORPG features?

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
There is some kind of guide that tells you how to 'quickstart' your classes around what role type you want to play (not sure where) but FFXIV isn't really the kind of game where you pick one class and then run straight through to the end due to cross-skill classing. There are some classes you want to take a few levels even if you have no real interest in playing them because they make leveling faster and some classes that you want to take many levels in because some skills they have will be mandatory at endgame. Some examples are:

Conjurer to Level 2 to get a basic heal (Cure). 8 if you want Protect which is a buff damage mitigation.
Puglist to Level 4 to get Featherfoot (15% evasion buff for 10 secs). 8 for Second Wind (free no cost heal)
Archer to Lev4 to get Raging Strikes (20% dmg increase/20 secs).
Gladiator to Lev6 to get Fight or Flight (30% physical dmg buff/20 secs).

Those are some basics but really it depends on what role you want longterm as to what second/third classes you will level alongside of it and to what jumping-off point down the line, but they will give you a good idea of how each class plays. Ones like Lancer and Maurader people play but they don't really have good cross-classing skills early for other classes until much later on (like 30+) so you don't have to play them first unless you're sure you want to be a Dragoon or Warrior endgame.

Once you hit 30 you'll evolve into your main job (if you last that long) abandoning whatever one you started with, since basic classes in this game are never played at endgame or even after 30.
I don't think you can cross-class Fight or Flight. Did Titan Ex last night as a Marauder so I could get more DPS than I would as a WAR and while I could take Internal Release, Blood for Blood, and Raging Strikes, I couldn't take Fight or Flight.

Apparently I can't make a new character on Gilgamesh.
My suggestion is to make a character on a different server on the same data center and then just pay the $12 or whatever for a transfer, which you can do at any time and only takes like 5 minutes.