Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
A very important note about steam. The steam client is its own thing. You cannot play the game without steam if you have the steam version, and you cannot play the normal version via steam(other than adding it manually as an external game thingie). This goes for the expansion as well. If you have the steam version, you need the expansion for the steam version(which I think only steam sells). If you have the normal version, you need the expansion that's not on steam(so everywhere else). Basically Steam is considered a platform, just like PS3 or PS4, so you need to buy your shit correctly.

GMG has preorder codes and shit all the time, they also have VIP offers and what not. Don't really know when they'll have a code that works on heavensward, they might have one right now, I'm too lazy to check.
yeah there was alot of crying on the steam little forum thing they got when you check out a game in the store about this, and how its not even available yet for pre-order up on steam.

So where on GmG would i check? i searched FF14 heavensward on their site assuming if there was a coupon itd be hanging around there somewhere, checked out the hot deals section aswell didnt see anything up there, i signed up so they can send me an email if a deal or something pops up for it.

I need a program to sit here and refresh every 3 minutes and if gilg opens click it, someone at honorbuddy needs to make it for me

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
They don't seem to have anything going besides the Witcher promotion atm, I'd wait a bit. Realistically you can wait until like a week before the early access to buy the game, I bought it already cause GMG had a bunch of voucher shit and what not and I think I bought the game for like 24$ or something which was like whatever.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
They don't seem to have anything going besides the Witcher promotion atm, I'd wait a bit. Realistically you can wait until like a week before the early access to buy the game, I bought it already cause GMG had a bunch of voucher shit and what not and I think I bought the game for like 24$ or something which was like whatever.
Yeah my cousin actually has ARR on steam, he dosent play it or use his steam account so im hoping they dont do something derpy where they fuck it up and people on steam miss early access for whatever reason, probably unlikely but im not sure why this wouldent already be posted up on steam.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Teck, they just posted this today, so at least you know the exact times to check? Update in 50 minutes!! Get READY!! lol

05/15/2015 06:00 PM Regarding Character Creation Restrictions
Updates on Character Creation Restrictions can be found here.
During periods of high congestion, we may institute a temporary restriction on the creation of new characters.
This information will be updated at the following intervals:
4:00 a.m./ 8:00 a.m./ 1:00 p.m./ 6:00 p.m./ 11:00 p.m. (PDT)

?:Character Creation Possible ?:Character Creation Restricted

(Gives list of realms, of course Gilg is restricted)

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah my cousin actually has ARR on steam, he dosent play it or use his steam account so im hoping they dont do something derpy where they fuck it up and people on steam miss early access for whatever reason, probably unlikely but im not sure why this wouldent already be posted up on steam.
Probably because it is still more than a month out(though barely), and they aren't getting much of a cut by hosting the client. All the other stuff is entirely on SE's servers, aside from the method of logging in. Not a lot of overhead used by steam, so their percentage is probably pretty crap. I'm sure in the next 2-3 weeks well see a GMG sales at like 10% off or something similar, which doesn't matter to me since I already picked it up at 39.99, but it might matter to some other folks. That is generally how GMG does most of their sales. Either -waaaaaaay- the fuck out, or right before release.

Silence_sl

shitlord
Wow...what a spectacularly bad newbie experience so far. The game is riddled with unskippable cut scenes and shit quest dialogue. The map is shit. Once you do get to combat, it's some stilted, bland poke_x 1999 EQ shit. Graphics might have looked nice...ten years ago.

Am I missing something here? I'm not trolling for negs here. I'm genuinely curious as to what makes this game fun.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Once you do get to combat, it's some stilted, bland poke_x 1999 EQ shit. Graphics might have looked nice...ten years ago.

Am I missing something here? I'm not trolling for negs here. I'm genuinely curious as to what makes this game fun.
Sounds like you installed the FFXI trial instead of the XIV trial.

Seriously though, there's only one unskippable cutscene, when you create a new char. The quest dialogue is average to good for the most part, has some references but isn't dankmemeonline like wow, the combat is wow's combat but A LOT slower and no one ever said it was something different so not sure what you expected and the graphics, well, way to exagerate.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Wow...what a spectacularly bad newbie experience so far. The game is riddled with unskippable cut scenes and shit quest dialogue. The map is shit. Once you do get to combat, it's some stilted, bland poke_x 1999 EQ shit. Graphics might have looked nice...ten years ago.

I'll admit that the leveling experience, especially in the first 15 levels, is ass-tastic. It completely assumes that you have never played an mmo before. But really, complaining about the graphics? I can only see that if you hate japan/japanese art styles, but it literally has the best graphics in detail and every other facet compared to any other mmorpg currently on the market. Also, the esc key lets you skip story portions, so you can definitely skip them. Though I will say, it is heavy on dialogue and storyline, so if you have issues with dialogue and stories, you are going to have a sort of tough time with FFXIV. If you are looking for a grind and win mmorpg, this is definitely not the game for you. I'd look at EQ original and maybe Aion or Archeage (if you like pvp) if that is your bent.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Nothing in this game is insanely awesome but the class system rules. And you have to be tripping on acid or on a bad PC to think the graphics suck.

Myst

Peasant
I freaking can't get on my original account any more (This account has been suspended), and the CS is horrid. I gave up after a week of trying and created a new account with a spare key I had. At least Gilgamesh is open again!

Who can I msg to get an invite on Gilg?

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
Nothing in this game is insanely awesome but the class system rules. And you have to be tripping on acid or on a bad PC to think the graphics suck.
Yeah, that's odd.

I can't imagine anyone coming from WoW and saying FFXIV's graphics sucks.

He probably did download FFXI and thinks that's ARR.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I freaking can't get on my original account any more (This account has been suspended), and the CS is horrid. I gave up after a week of trying and created a new account with a spare key I had. At least Gilgamesh is open again!

I'm... infrequent, at this point, until expac release, but Elrezz Darkraven when I'm on can invite you to the ISIS free company. Though honestly, you would be better served at this point to join ValkD or Shinra or any of the other big FC, since they will have asstons of players to group with while ISIS... does not, haw. Also, have you looked into your mog station account stuff and checked the licenses? I mean you've already created a new one so hey whatever, but there's a chance that your account is able to be activated if you look at the tabs on your mog station deal. I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but there's a weird deal if you had a beta account and a preorder account where they aren't the same and count as separate licenses. It's also where I figured out which dickhead had taken Rezz on Gilgamesh. Me =/ I managed to get in while I was completely tore up right near release and made the char, then the beta time ran out and I accidentally put my preorder status onto a different license, so I couldn't access the other account without buying the box again and subbing on that account. Hence, Elrezz. So! Check your mog account man, and look for tabs 1/2 and see if maybe you are trying to activate a license that doesn't have normal play hours available to it vs. one that isn't registered.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord

No idea where you are coming from regarding the graphics because IMO those are top notched. Fully get where you are coming from regarding the other things. At low levels with the low number of skills you have combined with the 2.5 second GCD means combat is extremely slow with you pressing the same abilities over and over. By the time my free month ran out I was up to a level 35 monk and I had almost 2 full hotbars of abilities. You still have to deal with the 2.5 GCD but by then you at least have enough abilities for a rotation with some reactive abilities and cool downs.

What class did you start with? I was originally a warrior because I wanted to tank but all my guildmates said it was one of the most boring classes at low levels so I switched to pugilist.

Myst

Peasant
My account was banned for "Suspicious activities". I guess not playing for a while is suspicious! Shame about Isis, I thought we still had an active group... I would've avoided the trouble of getting on Gilgamesh. I am not too big on RP.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
There's still a FC, and I'm about to log in for awhile to do dailies and stuff, so if you want into ISIS, I can invite you. Just saying, that at this point, it's a bit of afk folks who rarely/never talk in FC chat and Gori Lla was the most prolific of players and he bounced, so it is back to barely being active. If I see people actually logging on and doing stuff that aren't the normal quiet crew, I'll start using the company actions for leveling folk. I'll usually ask in FC chat if any DPS/tanks want to join me for dailies, but the vast majority of current folk do not. Granted I haven't been on in almost a week, so maybe things have changed! I would still say to join ValkD even if we were semi-active, because they are SUPER active, and you'll increase your odds of getting groups and shit by several measures there compared to here. Once the expac revival occurs, I expect ISIS to clamp down on player abilities (pretty sure Alkorin is going to revoke all of my cool abilities, since I keep abusing them) and it'll be a true forum guild experience again. Until then, though, you may be better served elsewhere.

Gilg is still an awesome server, but holy shit are the queue times during the expac release month going to be absolutely bonkers.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
No idea where you are coming from regarding the graphics because IMO those are top notched. Fully get where you are coming from regarding the other things. At low levels with the low number of skills you have combined with the 2.5 second GCD means combat is extremely slow with you pressing the same abilities over and over. By the time my free month ran out I was up to a level 35 monk and I had almost 2 full hotbars of abilities. You still have to deal with the 2.5 GCD but by then you at least have enough abilities for a rotation with some reactive abilities and cool downs.

What class did you start with? I was originally a warrior because I wanted to tank but all my guildmates said it was one of the most boring classes at low levels so I switched to pugilist.
I'm a 30 warrior now, the solo questing as a warrior is incredibly boring. You have like 3 attacks and just cycle them. I enjoy tanking as a warrior though, really great aoe threat

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Just did my Duty Roulette's, and healed for the first time in months. Funny how it all comes back to ya pretty quick. Level 44 WHM, just messing around. Not sure how prepared I'll be for expansion, probably not at all, but feel free to hit me up if you need a healer. More than willing to sync levels to help out. Oh.. name is Natalia Tear, I'm in the Linkshell and Free Company.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider

what time did you try... ive been trying from 2-6am nothing. EST

ive never had a game company, that would not let me play their game because of server restrictions even the worse games had a fucking que system this is just retarded god, i cant imagine what the core of this game is like if the login process is this retarded i want to play but i cant, im gonna be forced onto a random server fucking Faulty Armors.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
I installed the game last night and there was a restriction on the server. It was available for me at 9AM est this morning.
cool that looks like about when im gonna have to try 2-6am est is still primetime somewhere it seems, 7-10am seems to be a sweet spot.