Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
No problem, I'm taking a break the rest of today anyway. I'm basically stuck on the storyline at the Garuda fight, don't feel like doing it with a pug, tired of grinding fates. Need better gear (level 46 but with level 33 average gear) and just sorta blah right this second.

Nehrak_sl

shitlord
I'm still secretly hoping Alkorin will resign the LS to me. =p That said, Valos may well have invite privileges to the original (real?) Rerolled LS that was set up way back in beta phase 4/"early release" (since the data wasn't wiped). I left it a loooong time ago, when errbody was quitting in droves around November(?) 2013.

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
I am trying to get back into this, but my bags are full, everything is cluttered, noone I know is playing and I didn't like the game all that much anyways. Bleh. Crowfall alpha save me please, get released soon!

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
My jimmies got unrustled and I'm back playing tonight if anyone is around level 46 and wants to do stuff or junk. Lawlz Lawllerz is the name.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
My jimmies got unrustled and I'm back playing tonight if anyone is around level 46 and wants to do stuff or junk. Lawlz Lawllerz is the name.
Need a Free Company? There's a few people from Rerolled in Fat Chocobo <LB4> and we could help you gear up/give you people to group with that aren't terribad. Most of us high-levels are going to be busy the next few days with the release of Alexander, but we could help you run story dungeons probably.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Yes, I would love that. I just killed Garuda so I can progress the story again.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Sent a tell to Gentle Giant.

Added: And I'm in! Finally, my terminal loneliness is at an end!

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Kriptini again.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I'm gonna hop back and nerd-idle through the story line while I buy a new GFX card.

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
Couple of things I'm finding frustrating right now:

#1 My target poofs for no apparent reason. It's fucking obnoxious. I've never had a problem with clicking the ground spazzing out and seemingly clearing it randomly but it seems to happen in this game.

#2 Tanking seems to be very focused on dps, which means stance dancing, which just feels really fucking clunky in this game. So I tried to macro it, and now it appears macros have some internal delay. I cannot seem to create a macro that will Berserk and internal release with one button press consistently for example, which means I'm stuck with 900000 abilities on my bar. Some definite EQ2-itis going on here.

Otherwise it's pretty good. The dungeons are a joke but Bismarck Ex was fun. I really wonder why they launched an expansion with no hard mode 4 man content, it really seems counter-intuitive.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
There's an option to clear target if you click somewhere else, forgot where but you should probably check that out.

You can't use 2 abilities at the same time, they generally have to play short animations first(they can be played during the GCD of another skill, but you generally can only fit 2 oGCD per GCD, and sometimes depending on which one, you can only fit one without clipping your next GCD). You can macro a delay, but since the minimum is 1sec, it's garbage. You can just mash the key and do it that way, generally works. It's nowhere near EQ2 bloat though, it's like about 25-28 actives even counting the heavensward stuff. A few classes have more than others(fucking scholars need almost 3 bars due to having pet stuff and no really poor skills like most other classes, though I guess you can cut Ruin 1 now so that's nice) but warriors are not one of these. you might argue that's too much but I find that acceptable, that's 2 bars and a few more that you can click or macro if you don't want to keybind. I know wow did large reworks to compress it over the years, but even by BC I'm pretty sure most classes had 2bars also. Only thing you'd want as a WAR is a hotbar swap when you go into offensive stance that swaps Inner Beast and Steel Cyclone with the DPS skills that do the same thing, Fell Cleave and whatever the other one is, saves you 2 keybindings.

Also unlike EQ2, the abilities are really not the same. You might want to Internal Release but not Berzerk, due to the downside of berzerk activating at the wrong time(it's dispellable but as a healer, fuck that noise). That's pretty much the only thing you'd want to combo, defensive cooldowns are meant to be staggered, and if for some thing you do need them all, you can do that manually by clicking them. Unlike PLD or DRK who need to use cooldowns quickly, the only WAR cd you need to be quick to hit is Inner Beast since it's up so often, and then you can judge if you need more while you're in GCD for that. Tbh the long GCD should make it very easy to use abilities even if you don't keybind everything, that's kinda the point.

Pretty sure you're also misunderstanding what hard mode means. It doesn't actually mean it's hard. There's no challenging 4man content in this game. Hard mode is basically heroic dungeons in wow, a max level version of a leveling dungeon. However unlike wow, they're actually different dungeons(well last time I played wow at least, it was just like the same dungeon with a few new mechanics and sometimes one new boss), but they're still dungeons and you'll still destroy them. It's kinda weird nomenclature but that's how they go, hard mode is simple max level version of something else. The actual hard stuff is called extreme(for primals) or savage(for coil) and there's no equivalent for dungeons.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Difficult four man content would be extremely obnoxious, mechanics would have to be relatively simple due to not having much to work with from a design standpoint and the mechanics that they did manage to implement would probably be extremely unforgiving considering that in a 4-man, if one of you dies, you've lost 25% of your group.

Xalara

Golden Squire
Well, after complaining I managed to get Bismarck EX down last night. Ravana EX seems easier but that might be Bismarck EX acting as a filter.

Also got my Weaver to 60 last night. Cost me 1.2 million Gil to get a full HQ set of level 60 BiS gear but it is done and now I am poor. Anyone got advice on making money? So far my strategy has been to sell Orthodox Boarding along with Crawler Silk and Chimerical Felt. Not sure if I can do much better until I get my Masterwork III book and get my other crafters from 51 to 60. So yeah, advice?

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
What role do crafters have at the endgame anyway? I know they socket materia but you can't in raid gear right?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
What role do crafters have at the endgame anyway? I know they socket materia but you can't in raid gear right?
Well, in the past, crafters make certain BiS accessories or the best progression accessories. Reason is either terrible uneven stat weight(for example in 2.0, bards really wanted crit above everything else, and the accessories were loaded with shitty skillspeed/accuracy they didn't need instead, so the BiS accessories for a bunch of slots were crafted with capped crit, even though it was like 20ilvl lower) or for progression the fact you can meld vitality in accessories, which provides an insanely large amount of health, great for when you're undergeared, at a minimal DPS cost.

Other than that, crafters make gear for other crafters and for gatherers. These then translate into the buyers making more money, which lets them buy other stuff like glamour/minions/whatever. They also make the glamours/minions/whatever that people buy with the money they got from the gear they bought from crafters. It's an interesting system. There isn't a real point to it, but people will spend most of their money on that stuff.

There's also some fringe usages for relic steps in 2.0, which might come back. You need a crafter to make and meld the relic precursor in first step, then crafters to desynth and craft items for the zodiac step.

Crafting is kinda its own sphere, it doesn't interact too much with the combat stuff which is why you can ignore it completely if you want. If you like crafting though, it's rewarding due to most of the gold being generated in the game going into that sphere, which means you can make a lot of money(after spending money yourself to fund other crafters and so on). Money has very limited uses, but it's nice to be able to buy whatever you want when you want it.

There's also some uses for alts gearing. Lets you bypass some steps in gearing up, and you can be really well geared leveling too.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Basically, outside of glamor and cosmetic items, crafting is a pyramid scheme.
Glamours and cosmetics are part of it though. You can just make them yourself at a fraction of the cost if you get your crafting up. Mind you, you don't have to participate to make money. There's monsters that drop materials that are relatively valuable(especially now, though it'll drop over time), and once they add materia V, it's gonna be crazy easy to make money just spiritbinding stuff since the prices will be stupid high, especially for the crafting/gathering materias.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Well, after complaining I managed to get Bismarck EX down last night. Ravana EX seems easier
Hell no lol. Ravana EX is the most difficult Ex Primal to date. Difficulty-wise, I'd say it's as hard as T6, mechanics-wise, it's slightly less complex than T9 (there are a LOT of mechanics to memorize).

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
It's funny, all the people are crying about warriors but you watch people in Alex and Paladins are keeping up and Summoners/Goons are blowing them away.

Big fell cleave crits skewing perception.

Skrigg

Golden Squire
Anyone have any experience with MCH after the latest patch? I'd like to play one as guns are my thing but the stigma that the class is terrible is keeping me from it only because I'd rather not people view me as bad based soley on the class that im playing.