Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

dyadestrant

Molten Core Raider
Ok, I'm happy that WHM damage is going to be based on mind. I have always fucking hated any form of stance dancing.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
I like RDM mechanics, but dont want to fucking level another class to fucking 50+ to fucking play one. I've never played this game past 10.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I like RDM mechanics, but dont want to fucking level another class to fucking 50+ to fucking play one. I've never played this game past 10.
Literally you will hit 50 just by doing the story mode. The thing you have to do anyways. You can't advance without doing the main story quest. Pick a tank for instant queues for the dungeons you have to do and pound it. If that's not that appealing, it takes about 8 hours in Palace of the dead to go from 15 to 50. Rumor is that the level 60 potion will be available to buy at launch from the mog-station. As a guy with almost all the battle classes at 60 now, it's not that hard.

@Krip - How so? I'm enjoying Ninja but doubt I will ever play it at a high level so I glossed over their changes. I know the current Mudra system is pretty retarded.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Literally you will hit 50 just by doing the story mode. The thing you have to do anyways. You can't advance without doing the main story quest. Pick a tank for instant queues for the dungeons you have to do and pound it. If that's not that appealing, it takes about 8 hours in Palace of the dead to go from 15 to 50. Rumor is that the level 60 potion will be available to buy at launch from the mog-station. As a guy with almost all the battle classes at 60 now, it's not that hard.

@Krip - How so? I'm enjoying Ninja but doubt I will ever play it at a high level so I glossed over their changes. I know the current Mudra system is pretty retarded.

Two questions then:

Will I have to buy both expansions separately? Not a deal breaker, just a curiosity

War or Paladin?

Fennin

Golden Knight of the Realm
Two questions then:

Will I have to buy both expansions separately? Not a deal breaker, just a curiosity

War or Paladin?

On the tank meta question, looking at the changes that are being implemented. My best guess is that PLD will now be the meta MT in almost all scenarios, unless the new damage increase in grit keeps DRK in that role. War will still be designated to the OT role but by the looks of it may be surpassed by DRK in that role in stormblood.

-PLD is gaining a ton. Ability to block magic attacks being the biggest change.
-DRK is getting more damage, and quality of life changes.
-WAR is losing utility, and gaining nothing.

So the basic question is this, do you want to MT? If so PLD or DRK. If you like the OT role WAR will still fill that niche but be warned it might not be as good as DRK in the expansion. I've mained WAR for most of heavensward and will probably be switching to DRK or PLD depending on if my static wants me to MT or OT. The bottom line is that all three tanks can do either role, play what you like best unless you are pushing progression content.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider

• Mutilate was removed. This was our core DoT and one of two major abilities that stop our class from being a "spam 123 over and over again" playstyle.
  • Shadow Fang and Dancing Edge were merged. This seems like a QoL change on the surface but again, Dancing Edge was the other major ability that made our class more complex than "123, 123." Even worse, Shadow Fang now combos with Gust Slash instead of Spinning Edge. Our rotation is now literally "123, 124, 125, 123, 123..." NIN wasn't the most complex class to play by any means before but it had enough variety in the rotation to keep it fun. These two changes dull it down to the point where even an unevolved primate could play the class to perfection.
  • Poisons are removed. Again, this looks like a QoL change, but not having the stun on Jugulate any more is pretty significant. There were quite a few fights where it was relevant, and it was especially important in PvP. Yeah we're getting a new cross-role ability to compensate for that but that will compete with other abilities for slots instead of us having it native now.
  • The Ninki mechanic is retarded. They probably had an intern or one of the dev's sisters come up with it, because there's no way a competent designer made it and thought, "Yeah this is a fun and engaging mechanic." Basically, all of the new abilities you get in Stormblood have to deal with Ninki. Each of them cost 80 Ninki to use, and you can have a maximum of 100 Ninki at any time. How do you generate Ninki? There's two ways. Every autoattack you make generates 6 points of Ninki, and when you use Mug, you generate 30. With just autoattacks, it would take 13.3 attacks to generate enough Ninki to use a Ninki ability, which means you get to use one every 26 seconds or so, assuming you never disconnect. Mug can give you a quick boost, but it's on a 90 second cooldown. What could've been an interesting mechanic is essentially a retarded way to display a shared cooldown for three abilities.
  • Ten Chi Jin is a new ability that costs 80 Ninki, it lets you cast 3 Ninjitsus in succession by not consuming the Mudras you input on Ninjitsu use. For example, while Ten Chi Jin is active, you can cast Ten, Fuma Shuriken, Chi, Raiton, Jin, and Suiton, in that order, and the potency of all of them will be doubled. This sounds cool, right? Get ready for this: You can't cast the same Ninjitsu three times; it has to be three different ones. (WARs get six Fell Cleaves but apparently three Raitons is too much to ask for.) Now common sense would dictate that the highest single-target DPS combo would Fuma -> Raiton -> Suiton, except that's not true at all because Square Enix doesn't know how to do basic math to save their lives. The highest single-target DPS combo is actually Fuma -> Katon -> Doton, which is also the highest AoE DPS combo. That's right boys, SINGLE-TARGET DOTON IS NOW META. We used to make fun of idiot Ninjas who did that, and now it's our highest DPS Tenchijin combo. That's Squeenix laughing at us.
  • Hide now resets Ninjitsu cooldown! Sounds great, right? LOL SIKE YOU THOUGHT. You still can't use Hide during combat. What the fuck is the point, then? ("B-but Krip, now it means you don't need to do 25s countdowns for NIN" that's barely a fucking positive and you know it.)
I'm gonna make a video with my full thoughts on it. If it wasn't obvious by my tone, I'm very disappointed.

On the tank meta question, looking at the changes that are being implemented. My best guess is that PLD will now be the meta MT in almost all scenarios, unless the new damage increase in grit keeps DRK in that role. War will still be designated to the OT role but by the looks of it may be surpassed by DRK in that role in stormblood.

-PLD is gaining a ton. Ability to block magic attacks being the biggest change.
-DRK is getting more damage, and quality of life changes.
-WAR is losing utility, and gaining nothing.

Assuming we're still going to be in a DPS meta, I think DRK/WAR will still be the meta comp. Holy Spirit spam is nice, but it's still not enough for a PLD to be able to compete with a WAR's DPS for offtanking, and DRK probably still deals more damage while main tanking just because of how the class works.[/i][/b]

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Mostly speculation still at this point with no hard numbers to calculate, but NIN rotation doesn't seem easier as implied, just different. More mudra spam and less weaponskill. Less Rogue and more Ninja which stands to reason.

Idk, I am just recently returning and haven't played much since 3.0 so ultimately I would defer to Krips judgement but most of what I am reading regarding NIN changes has been positive.

Fennin

Golden Knight of the Realm
Leveling as warrior is easier because you get your agro stance earlier.

@Krip- thanks for the rundown.

Important to note though that shield oath, the tank stance for paladin will be available at level 30 for Stormblood.

Malkav

French Madman
Mostly speculation still at this point with no hard numbers to calculate, but NIN rotation doesn't seem easier as implied, just different. More mudra spam and less weaponskill. Less Rogue and more Ninja which stands to reason.

Idk, I am just recently returning and haven't played much since 3.0 so ultimately I would defer to Krips judgement but most of what I am reading regarding NIN changes has been positive.

Well it's Kriptini, potato gonna potate. :D

I, for one, am glad of the removal of non-combo action DOTS like Phleb, ToD and Mutilate. They were just a pain in the ass.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Thinjing about playing this in my spare time.

Is the story catch-up mechanic in yet or do I need to slog through it still?

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The story catch up comes with the new expansion release. They said it will cost about the same as the game so 40-60 bucks? The character jump will cost the same.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I always wanted to play this on the PS4. Any comments on how good/bad the game play is on a console?

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
It seems sort of shitty to force you to buy a skip for content that gates your access. That drove me nuts about HW... I bought it and couldn't do shit until I ground through some storyline bullshit with time delays from movement and quests. I can't even grind my level past it and ignore it.