Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Admittedly I didn't give it much time.. I just got it, and then went to get the Samurai job right after.
Red mage is simpler than Samurai I think, at least once you unlock the secondary gauge for samurai and have to manage it with positionals and stuff(62 I think is when you get the good stuff). Red mage pretty much plays like 2.0 BLM in some aspects, mostly you just have to pay attention to procs, but the class is fairly straightforward and there's very little optimization to do since there's basically no conditionals on anything, you just do your rotation the same way all the time, only that sometimes you press the button that's lit up instead of Jolt.

I kinda like it though and the side utility feels good.

Hit 70 on my first crafter today doing leves, then I remembered I should have done class quests. But then I also remembered I didn't do my HW class quests on most classes, so it's gonna be a pain in the ass to catch up. Like on my CRP(the 70 I got), I'm still on the lvl 50 quest in HW apparently. I think the most advanced one is Alchemy which is on the last quest(but not done). Been slowly leveling gatherers too on the side, mostly doing GC and the quests, I still haven't gathered a collectable for mining/bot, the basic way apparently requires 600GP but I have like 570 I need to get new accessories. Still using my lvl 50 ones, and not even the good ones, the white garbo 2.0 ones. Really like the changes to fishing, the other 2 not so much. On the other hand it seems scrip farming with fishing is complete garbage now(as opposed to the easiest back in HW with Hinterlands perch) so that kinda sucks.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Na they use a lot of the previous FF stuff for new content. For example in HW, the primals were inspired by FF6, The Fiend, the Goddess and the Demon, the Warring Triads. The 24man Crystal Tower is inspired by FF3. The current Omega wing raid is all FFV inspired. The next 24man was titled Return to Ivalice, which is obviously a callback to XII/Tactics universe.

Weird. At least the mobile game makes a story out of it rather than just tossing stuff in there.

Malkav

French Madman
Weird. At least the mobile game makes a story out of it rather than just tossing stuff in there.

Well, there is a story. Omega is an interdimensional entity summoning beings from various dimensions in order to determine the most powerful being in creation.

As for primals, do you really need an explanation as to why Shiva, Ifrit, Garuda and co are like in every FF game ever?

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Well, there is a story. Omega is an interdimensional entity summoning beings from various dimensions in order to determine the most powerful being in creation.

As for primals, do you really need an explanation as to why Shiva, Ifrit, Garuda and co are like in every FF game ever?

No, not those really, more the random characters. No idea what that omega thing is as I haven't done it.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
No, not those really, more the random characters. No idea what that omega thing is as I haven't done it.
They have explanations, the characters used are used within the lore of the game, they're simply using char design and playing on nostalgia with musical and graphical themes from some old FF.

For example the Warring Triad is perfectly acceptable within the lore of XIV. They're powerful entities that have been enslaved by the Allagans as power sources or for war purposes, this is a recurrent XIV theme, the Allagans loved putting primals and stuff in prisons to draw power from them, that's actually the whole underlying story of 1.0's end and 2.0 Coil of Bahamut raid. Well in Azys La, which is some Allagan fuckery place, the prisons are starting to deteriorate and you go there to kill stuff before they escape and wreck shit around. So yeah they're bosses designs taken from FFVI, but they're not like pulled from FFVI directly, they're created within the lore of the game and then reworked and redesigned to fit properly.

They just do it for a bunch of stuff, both the typical FF stuff(chocobos, moogles, morbols etc as well as the usual summons like ifrit shiva titan and so on) but also stuff specific to only one or few games. For example completing the 2.0 MSQ gives you a mount that's straight from FFVI. Some bosses that don't need a backstory are taken from other games, as a recent example one of the boss in the 69 dungeon is taken from FFVI, but it's not the last boss or anything, just a random boss so they don't need some complicated explanation, it's just there and people who played FFVI will remember it and those who don't will just think it's just another boss, like the one before and the one after. A lot of random trash mobs that you've killed for random quests in the overworld are directly taken from specific FF rather than the general "most FF" mobs. Some armor sets or weapons are taken from specific games too(there's a set of armor from Tactics Ogre for example)

The new Omega raid takes a bunch of liberties with how it approaches the thing though since it's like some sort of interdimensional kind of thing so they can just do whatever. Still the 3rd boss in there is linked to some obscure lore of XIV past too instead of just being pulled from a random world to fight you.

The only things that they directly pull from another game and just say "yeah that's the same person" were cross promotion events, when Lightning from FFXIII came to Eorzea(she can travel through dimensions), and then when they did the Dragon quest event with Shantotto coming from FFXI to mess around.

The Ivalice 24man is unclear how it'll fit for now, they dubbed it Return to Ivalice but it might simply be inspired by it and not actually Ivalice stuff, guess we'll see.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Got my susano weapon finally after losing a roll on my first clear to a repeat floor stain. Mount drop rate seems so horrible i think I'm going to wait the 10 days for 330/340 gear when even the most mediocre scrubs should be able to down it consistently.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
OK I'm almost done HW, probably this weekend. Anything I should focus on for SB content?

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
MSQ!

And get your torrents in every zone as you level and progress through the MSQ. This makes literally any other activity in the game easier.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
You mean Aetheric Currents?
Probably, it's the same as HW pretty much, make sure to get all the ones with the compass thing as you level up(some zones are MSQ locked to a higher level, similar to Sea of Clouds in HW), and do the sidequests that reward them, so you unlock flight asap. But it's basically the same as what you should have been doing in HW so nothing really important there.

Also unlike HW, you can level to cap mostly on MSQ, at least when I leveled I didn't touch any sidequests. I had rested xp the whole way though but still shouldn't be that far, and that was with like one dungeon run every time cause long queues as DPS. Talking of dungeons, the one thing you might miss is the 63 dungeon. It's not part of the MSQ, it has its own sidequests in the Ruby Sea. Once you unlock the underwater stuff there as part of the MSQ you can get the quest I think, it's in Sui-no-sato. Other than that it's basically more of the same.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
OK, easy enough.

I think I'm torn between Samurai and Dragoon. While I don't hate the dragoon, the resource management is constantly an issue in dungeons because you have to run in and out on bosses so blood of the dragon fades and it gets aggravating. I'm only worried because I'm sure there will be a billion Samurai...

Malkav

French Madman
Yeah DRG really have an issue right now with mechanics and phases changes on bosses.

To add to what Pyros said, you can see important side quests easily (currents, dungeon) as their icon has a blue background and a + next to it (indicating that they unlock something).

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
The omega theme is pretty cool because it gives them an excuse to put just about any boss fight in they want. So it should be a lot more varied than alexander

Archdruid Archeron

the Site Surgeon
<Granularity Engineer>
OK, easy enough.

I think I'm torn between Samurai and Dragoon. While I don't hate the dragoon, the resource management is constantly an issue in dungeons because you have to run in and out on bosses so blood of the dragon fades and it gets aggravating. I'm only worried because I'm sure there will be a billion Samurai...

I find samurai one of these most enjoyable melee classes I have played in a while, more fun than DK, feral, or rogue up to Cata, and definitely more so than dragoon. I find myself happy to wait on the dps queue rather than playing my white mage just so I can play my samurai. The class seems really well designed and tight, with abilities that flow rather than just random buttons to push.

Enjoy whichever, Stormblood is fun.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Starting fresh was a good decision for me. Played the game back in 1.0 for a month on Gilgamesh and I hated it. Came back and I'm really enjoying the game and there is so much I have yet to experience. My pally is level 61 and my Ast is 60. I finally got my ilvl to a decent level and now tanking is sooo much smoother and easier in dungeons. I actually feel like a tank and not like a Blm soaking up damage. The game is definitely a different gaming experience from WoW and a nice breath of fresh air. But I'm really curious how the end game is. Will it be enough to keep me playing or will I get bored.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
The endgame kinda builds up over time, but the first patch of expansions is pretty bare. If you're interested in savage though there's a decent amount I guess. The game thrives on parallel progression with stuff like alts being classes on your main character, crafting being its own sphere of stuff to do and the large amount of old shit to do for fun/cosmetics(mount and glamours). It's a nice game to take breaks and come back though, you always have a bunch of story and a lot of new dungeons to see after a few months.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Red mage is simpler than Samurai I think, at least once you unlock the secondary gauge for samurai and have to manage it with positionals and stuff(62 I think is when you get the good stuff). Red mage pretty much plays like 2.0 BLM in some aspects, mostly you just have to pay attention to procs, but the class is fairly straightforward and there's very little optimization to do since there's basically no conditionals on anything, you just do your rotation the same way all the time, only that sometimes you press the button that's lit up instead of Jolt.

I kinda like it though and the side utility feels good.

Hit 70 on my first crafter today doing leves, then I remembered I should have done class quests. But then I also remembered I didn't do my HW class quests on most classes, so it's gonna be a pain in the ass to catch up. Like on my CRP(the 70 I got), I'm still on the lvl 50 quest in HW apparently. I think the most advanced one is Alchemy which is on the last quest(but not done). Been slowly leveling gatherers too on the side, mostly doing GC and the quests, I still haven't gathered a collectable for mining/bot, the basic way apparently requires 600GP but I have like 570 I need to get new accessories. Still using my lvl 50 ones, and not even the good ones, the white garbo 2.0 ones. Really like the changes to fishing, the other 2 not so much. On the other hand it seems scrip farming with fishing is complete garbage now(as opposed to the easiest back in HW with Hinterlands perch) so that kinda sucks.
Do the first 3 of the weekly turn in with Khloie or whatever the fuck her name is and get a right side piece and some goblin dice to upgrade it. Then do the other 3 you can this week. Come Thursday you will do it again and have fully upgraded right side.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Playing Catch up in this game sucks. I won't hit 70 this week which means I'll be permanently behind getting drops from the omega raid