Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
That isn't Shirk's intended usage is why, that's just a clever way to use it that players developed over time.

It's our response to "How can I say fuck all this enmity rotation bullshit, and just do the MAXIMUM DEEPS ALL THE TIME LIKE REAL AMERICANS DO? GO FAST!"

Provoke/Shirk is how.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Provoke moves the tank doing the provoking (the OT) to #1 on enmity, then the OT simply Shirks off all of that enmity to the MT, thus giving him a boost in threat without the MT having to be in Tank Stance and/or do the enmity rotation, and letting the MT do MORE BIG NUMBARS in DPS stance with DPS rotation.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Anyone play on ps4 or use a ds4 controller to play? I love the idea of it, and it's actually really well done but there isn't a way to replicate tab targeting with a controller and that turned me off. They haven't updated this, have they?

Yeah I've healed 5 and 10 man groups as White Mage between lv60 and lv65 without any issues and I assume that's the hardest thing to do, I actually prefer it to keyboard and mouse for main abilities but it's more awkward for coodowns though it's learnable. The left and right buttons do enemy tab targeting and up and down do party list targeting. The UI takes some tweaking for your TV size on PS4.

If you hold L2 you get 8 abilities on screen which you select with square, circle, triangle, cross, up, down, left and right. Same for holding R2. So that's 16. If you want more you can make it bring up another set of 8 if you hold L2 then R2 and another 8 for R2 then L2 so 32 total. Thats not actually enough but you can press R1 to cycle additional sets, not really feasible for combat so all my non combat stuff like mounts and teleports are there.

If I want to DPS I hold L2 and my single target is on up/down/left/right and my AoE on triangle/circle/square/cross. I can then hold R2 second for buffs/cooldowns.
If I want to heal I hold R2 and my AoE is on up/down/left/right and my single target on triangle/circle/square/cross. I can then hold L2 second for buffs/cooldowns.
I'm not using cooldowns as much as I used to because they are an extra button hold away, so I can better at this.

Fennin

Golden Knight of the Realm
Shirk transfers 25% of your current enmity to the targeted player, so if you provoke and then shirk, its effectively a bonus 25% enmity. The design purpose was to eliminate the priming of aggro combos on tank swaps, and using both tanks to swap correctly. It can also be used for overall enmity generation. It also helps the OT stay 2nd on the enmity table for most of the fight adding to fight safety in the event of a tank death, or some mechanics that are focused on the second place on the enmity list. You can also circle swap, Tank B provokes, Tank A shirks, Tank A provokes, Tank B shirks.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah right I knew how provoke and shirk actually worked - but provoking then shirking to boost the MT's enmity doesn't seem that far fetched to me.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yeah I've healed 5 and 10 man groups as White Mage between lv60 and lv65 without any issues and I assume that's the hardest thing to do, I actually prefer it to keyboard and mouse for main abilities but it's more awkward for coodowns though it's learnable. The left and right buttons do enemy tab targeting and up and down do party list targeting. The UI takes some tweaking for your TV size on PS4.

If you hold L2 you get 8 abilities on screen which you select with square, circle, triangle, cross, up, down, left and right. Same for holding R2. So that's 16. If you want more you can make it bring up another set of 8 if you hold L2 then R2 and another 8 for R2 then L2 so 32 total. Thats not actually enough but you can press R1 to cycle additional sets, not really feasible for combat so all my non combat stuff like mounts and teleports are there.

If I want to DPS I hold L2 and my single target is on up/down/left/right and my AoE on triangle/circle/square/cross. I can then hold R2 second for buffs/cooldowns.
If I want to heal I hold R2 and my AoE is on up/down/left/right and my single target on triangle/circle/square/cross. I can then hold L2 second for buffs/cooldowns.
I'm not using cooldowns as much as I used to because they are an extra button hold away, so I can better at this.
Last time I played with a controller hooked up the left and right buttons didn't do actual tab targeting where it'd cycle through targets. I'll try it again though!

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Last time I played with a controller hooked up the left and right buttons didn't do actual tab targeting where it'd cycle through targets. I'll try it again though!
Ive been using controller on PS4 (my alternate system to.play on obviously) and targeting has always been left and right. I wonder if you had a bad setting. It's pretty nice if you're just grinding shit

Crone

Ive been using controller on PS4 (my alternate system to.play on obviously) and targeting has always been left and right. I wonder if you had a bad setting. It's pretty nice if you're just grinding shit
That's why I want to get it setup for mindless grinding shit with Netflix on the second screen type stuff.

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
Getting all the crafts to level 54 has been a slog. I've just got WVR to 50 and I'm starting on CRP right now. I thought I should probably actually try to make gil instead of losing it in copious amounts.

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Getting all the crafts to level 54 has been a slog. I've just got WVR to 50 and I'm starting on CRP right now. I thought I should probably actually try to make gil instead of losing it in copious amounts.

50-60 is a slog in crafting because they decided to play hardball with crafting in Heavensward. The good news is that it's generally easier in Stormblood/between 60-70.

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
Shirk transfers 25% of your current enmity to the targeted player, so if you provoke and then shirk, its effectively a bonus 25% enmity. The design purpose was to eliminate the priming of aggro combos on tank swaps, and using both tanks to swap correctly. It can also be used for overall enmity generation. It also helps the OT stay 2nd on the enmity table for most of the fight adding to fight safety in the event of a tank death, or some mechanics that are focused on the second place on the enmity list. You can also circle swap, Tank B provokes, Tank A shirks, Tank A provokes, Tank B shirks.

Circle-shirking is in excess of a 50% boost to total hate and is on a relatively short cooldown.

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
50-60 is a slog in crafting because they decided to play hardball with crafting in Heavensward. The good news is that it's generally easier in Stormblood/between 60-70.

I've just been doing my moogle quests seeing as I hadn't had a crafter at 50 before now. Got my ALC and CUL to 54 that way. I should probably actually gear up, but my gil situation is bad right now.

Wyvernskin maps are selling for 250k though on Omega.

Crone

Chris Chris So I just hooked my DS4 up tonight to try things out again, and yea, that's not Tab targeting.

Left/Right D-pad buttons cycle through your current targets, but they don't actually target anything until you press X. Just pressing X, without anything targeted will actual target something, but it seems to just target something closet, and once you have that target, hitting X again won't do anything.

I wanna be able to hit a button, and have it actual cycle through your targets. Like actually target them. Not this 2 button bull shit. :(

Chris

Potato del Grande
Chris Chris So I just hooked my DS4 up tonight to try things out again, and yea, that's not Tab targeting.

Left/Right D-pad buttons cycle through your current targets, but they don't actually target anything until you press X. Just pressing X, without anything targeted will actual target something, but it seems to just target something closet, and once you have that target, hitting X again won't do anything.

I wanna be able to hit a button, and have it actual cycle through your targets. Like actually target them. Not this 2 button bull shit. :(
Up/down does work this way but that's what I use as healer. I don't actually target enemies that much!

Ehrgeix

Trakanon Raider
I don't have a source but Yoshi talked about how war/drk would be MT roles and pld/gun OT, and he thought adding another tank made sense because of this. Not sure I agree - imo pld sucks to play in pugs cuz you need so much babying to do very well. Will be interesting to see how gun works out.

Crone

Up/down does work this way but that's what I use as healer. I don't actually target enemies that much!
Up/down on the D-pad actually hard targets and cycles through? I think up down soft targeted party members for purposes of healing.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I've just been doing my moogle quests seeing as I hadn't had a crafter at 50 before now. Got my ALC and CUL to 54 that way. I should probably actually gear up, but my gil situation is bad right now.

Wyvernskin maps are selling for 250k though on Omega.
Are they actually selling though or is that just the price they're listed at?

I was on Omega until a week ago or so when I used the free transfer to move out and the economy was super fucked there(well until some Balmung guy moved in and flooded the market with cheap Rakshasa shit, literally hundreds of items). Could sell a lot of shit for way more than they should be worth because a lot of casual and RPers but not many people farming stuff. I actually made several millions selling decoration fishes while I was doing the whole fishing log completion shit, literally selling single fishes for 500k-1.2m. Mind you, they moved slow, but they did move eventually and it was free shit I got while doing my thing anyway.

Rakshasa in general was horribly overpriced until the guy came in with his cheap shit and I made most of my money exploiting that before the inevitable crash when they open world visit. It'd cost me 40-60k in mats(at Omega price, which was higher than some other servers) to make a Rakshasa accessory selling for 350-500k before the prices crashed. Now that they crashed mats went down too though so it's like 30-40k to make a 200-300k item so still fine. And surprisingly, they sold very quickly and there was little competition. Like I'd sell 10-15items a day(and I was only listing accessories, and generally only GSM or LTW stuff, never the whole sets).

As for the crafting leveling, doing beast tribes is great and is honestly a ton more efficient than dumping money in leves, unless you want to level them asap. Also gear is probably not worth changing too often if you just do beast tribes. You can make some money crafting low lvl stuff though sometimes. You can check ingots especially, like electrum, cobalt, silver, these usually turn a profit just by crafting them from ores you buy on the market, just boring but if you setup a macro with autohotkey you can do it afk pretty easily. Also check what crafting gear you can remake for cheap, and convert them into materia when they're spiritbound and remake them. Crafting materias sell for good money, even the low ones, since people need low materias for overmelding at decent %(so like control III and IV should sell for really good money still, same for CP, craftsmanship is often cheaper).