Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

khorum

Murder Apologist
Honestly, the reason I decided to give FFXIV a second chance (I tried it long, long ago before the remake) is becuase after 20 years, I have given up hope that the industry will ever make a true EverQuest clone with up-to-date graphics and UI.

I had given up on an EverQuest-like MMO ever being made, so I started looking at "multiplayer" console games to see if there was anything EverQuest-like to play with my friends. All I found was sci-fi stuff like Destiny1/2 and Anthem and then the wild wild west style in Red Dead Redemption 2.

I was just about to give up on there being an EverQuest-like game with modern graphics out there when it occurred to me that FFXIV is close to modern graphics, cross platform, and has a heavy fantasy theme. I watched some videos and twitch streams, and was like, "this can work. It's not western fantasy like EverQuest, but it's damn close to being a modern EverQuest with an Asian theme." So, I bought the $19.99 starter pack on Playstation 4, and here I am.

I'd give anything for it to be western-fantasy themed like EverQuest, but asside from that, I really love the game so far. Now that being said, my highest level class so far is level 16, and I just finished the main story quest where I can travel between the three cities. There's a ton I have not seen of this game, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

I'm in no real hurry to rush through the content because I look at where I am right now as if I had started EverQuest today, and was just now looking at level 15 in the Unrest zone. If I rushed to level 110, I would miss so much great content in that game, and I assume the same can be said for FFXIV.

So, to the person asking if it's worth it to play FFXIV today, my personal opinion is yes... if you are looking for a story driven MMORPG with a deep class system and a more slow strategical combat system. From my experiencer, this is not a button mashing twitch game. I could be wrong because I have just scratched the surface of the game so far, but that's the opinion I get of the game.

I see FFXIV as the perfect game for EverQuest gamers to retire to after they have finally accepted that DBG is never going to revitalize the IP and is just milking it for what they can before selling it off to the next investment company who will do the same.... and so on until there isn't enough people left playing the game to warrant the servers being online.

Just my two cents. Take it or leave it.

Eureka is pretty much the closest thing you'll get to a modern Everquest-like MMO experience with "encouraged" grouping, deadly zones that makes you clench up just crossing from point A to point B and a sense of satisfaction once you've outgrown them.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Eureka is pretty much the closest thing you'll get to a modern Everquest-like MMO experience with "encouraged" grouping, deadly zones that makes you clench up just crossing from point A to point B and a sense of satisfaction once you've outgrown them.
Damn dude I never looked at it that way. It's pretty much on point.

• 1Like

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'm torn on what to play in my return to ffxiv shadowbringers.

Samurai or Red Mage, I like both and they both seems to get nice improvements. Will do Dark Knight also for dungeon spamming.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I am a ffxi child so I'm interested now. Perking my ears up.

Speaking of ears, can't wait to be a female bunny

• 1Like
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 users

Janx

<Silver Donator>

Samurai or Red Mage, I like both and they both seems to get nice improvements. Will do Dark Knight also for dungeon spamming.
I might actually start up a machinist. Rework looks pretty interesting.

• 1Like

Cybsled

Ya, I've been working on machinist myself since the rework was announced. Just hit 69 today, should be able to get 70 sometime tomorrow or the day after.

• 1Like

Nola

Trakanon Raider

I have both at 70 and I prefer the Sam. They just do insane damage probably being 2nd highest DPS behind BLM and it seems they havent changed much come 5.0.

• 1Like

Merrith

Being able to drive finally in each Eureka zone is rewarding as fuck.

• 1Like

Aazrael

I might actually start up a machinist. Rework looks pretty interesting.
The only thing I dislike about ffxiv is the alt leveling. It feels a bit slow. Sidequests give zero exp it feels like. I usally run the roulettes and maybe the PotD/HoH but it feels a bit slow for me.

Never done the hunts though, need to read up on how they work.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
The only thing I dislike about ffxiv is the alt leveling. It feels a bit slow. Sidequests give zero exp it feels like. I usally run the roulettes and maybe the PotD/HoH but it feels a bit slow for me.

Never done the hunts though, need to read up on how they work.
It's definitely not fast, but it's not too bad imo. Back when I leveled every class, I'd just do like a couple of hours a day and get a couple of level(from 60 to 70) and then I'd just do something else. With the roulettes+spamming dungeon at your own level and doing beast tribe/centurio inbetween for DPS queues, it doesn't feel too bad I think. Past that however it feels pretty meh, I generally just did that then focused on something else, only a few classes I kept going. I think in that regard they do an ok job for making it easy for more casual players to level alts at a good pace or if you want to level everything over a long period of time, but it's definitely not that good if you want to hardcore grind several classes up asap. Mind you, I did it before HoH was available, I think it wouldn't be as bad now, although it means chaining HoH, which is pretty cancer on its own.

One thing however is the more expansions they release, the longer it takes for new players to get their alts up. I got all my classes to 50 back in ARR, and while I didn't play HW much, I then capped everything in SB including all the "new" jobs I hadn't touched much, so for ShB, it's only 10more lvls on everything, but for a new player, going from 1 to 80 is probably going to take quite a long time even just doing roulettes. Maybe they should increase armory bonus again for say 1-50, make it 150% or even 200%.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Did the first dungeon, the one on the ship. Wasn't too bad but I feel like mobs ramped up how hard they hit. I'm ilevel 210 so not sure how low that is for level 61

khorum

Murder Apologist
Should prolly spend some time unlocking and playing through the Crystal Tower raid content before the xpac if you haven't already. It's basically the basis of Shadowbringers.

• 1Picard

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Did the first dungeon, the one on the ship. Wasn't too bad but I feel like mobs ramped up how hard they hit. I'm ilevel 210 so not sure how low that is for level 61

You can buy level 60 armor/accessories/weapons with Tomestone of Poetics in Idyllshire(might be sold elsewhere, but I always go there to spend my poetics) that is iLevel 260 if you have any Poetics. Otherwise you'll upgrade your gear easily enough through questing.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I got the stuff with poetics but maxed out at 5? Pieces. My avg ilevel is still 210. I think you can upgrade them but it costs poetics? I'm still just trucking on

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
You should be able to get armour, accessories and weapons and be ilevel 260. You might have missed them on the vendor. In any case it’s not a huge deal as the quest will give you gear anyways as I said. Not sure if doing the MSQ replaces all slots though, might have to do a few sidequest...not 100% sure though as it been a while. Definitely no need to upgrade them though.

You can just go on, and if you find yourself struggling a bit...go and buy them. You should be fine though.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
You should be able to get armour, accessories and weapons and be ilevel 260. You might have missed them on the vendor. In any case it’s not a huge deal as the quest will give you gear anyways as I said. Not sure if doing the MSQ replaces all slots though, might have to do a few sidequest...not 100% sure though as it been a while. Definitely no need to upgrade them though.

You can just go on, and if you find yourself struggling a bit...go and buy them. You should be fine though.
Sorry I meant I only had enough poetics for 5 piecess

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I've been thinking of getting the game on the PS4 so I could play from the comfort of my couch on a 55" TV.

I'm not sure how I would like to play with a controller though when it suddenly hit me that I could hook up my PS4 controller to my PC and use it with the PC version.

So I did that, didn't have much time to try it, but it looks interesting, and tons of customization possible. I think it will take me more time to try and set up the UI, and buttons in a way that feel comfortable than time it will take me to get used to it. :)

Navigating the menu was much easier than I expected though, although you can see even with a mouse that everything is setup with a controller in mind.

Targeting feels weird though.

I might have to wait for the weekend to really try it, since I play with a friend during the week and don't have much time to tweak stuff before he gets on.

Anyone playing with a controller either on PC or PS4 that has any tips?