Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Nola

Trakanon Raider
My biggest issue with WHM is their regen aggro. It's just to potent. You regen your whole party you better expect to have every mob aggroing you.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

khorum

Murder Apologist
My biggest issue with WHM is their regen aggro. It's just to potent. You regen your whole party you better expect to have every mob aggroing you.

If you haven't learned to stop doing that early in like your third or fourth raid pulls, you deserve to keep dying to regen aggro.

Stacking regens is how WHM gets the spare GCDs to do some dps. I wouldn't mind a new paradigm, but more on the sort of things WHM can do with the spare GCDs, not with the regen mechanics itself. Spamming stone gets super old super fast.

• 1Salty

Nola

Trakanon Raider
If you haven't learned to stop doing that early in like your third or fourth raid pulls, you deserve to keep dying to regen aggro.

Stacking regens is how WHM gets the spare GCDs to do some dps. I wouldn't mind a new paradigm, but more on the sort of things WHM can do with the spare GCDs, not with the regen mechanics itself. Spamming stone gets super old super fast.
Never said I was dying. I was actually referring to dungeon pulling not raids. Pulling pack to pack while regen is active I get aggro. Something I cannot control unless tank stops pulling to wait for regen to fall off.

• 1Like

khorum

Murder Apologist
Never said I was dying. I was actually referring to dungeon pulling not raids. Pulling pack to pack while regen is active I get aggro. Something I cannot control unless tank stops pulling to wait for regen to fall off.

I dont mean you, it's a thing that happens a lot with WHM though: stack regens early in pulls and get raped. In savage or BA where trash will one-shot even overgeared healers. It happens a lot to WHM fresh to BA---get one-shotted by trash for regen aggro, then realize there's no rezzes in BA and that they've wasted the last hour of their time and almost certainly everyone else's time.

They stop doing early regens fast after that.

• 1Salty
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
If you get aggro in dungeons from regen, the tank is shit tbh. Like you will take initial aggro, and maybe take a hit, but more than that the tank's a pooper. It's very easy to catch mobs as they run past, or at the very least once they're next to the WHM(as long as he's not sprinting around like a retard). I just chain pull with Regen/Medica/whatever all the time and it really doesn't matter even on WAR which is the worst for this shit cause Overpower is shit to use this way, but I can just self heal for big threat boost or pop the circular aoe rage move if I have infuriate, or throw some tomahawks at shit I miss with overpower.

Regen aggro isn't that strong. In 8man if you're spamming heals and regen, that shit gets crazy sure but in 4man if you're not spamming Medica Is between your Medica IIs like a fucking lunatic, it's very easy to keep aggro off the healer.

Edit: BA is a special case and yeah fuck that noise but normal trash takes like 15hits to kill a healer so no big deal.

• 1Like

khorum

Murder Apologist
Also bear in mind a LOT of NA tanks (especially warr mains) are all over this "BLUE DPS" jerkoff meta where they think they're swole enough to stay in dps stances. They ain't.

• 1Salty
  • 1Worf

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Also bear in mind a LOT of NA tanks (especially warr mains) are all over this "BLUE DPS" jerkoff meta where they think they're swole enough to stay in dps stances. They ain't.
So glad they are getting rid of tank/dps stance. I've seen so many tanks gets their shit pushed in tanking in dps stance.

• 1Worf

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I know what you mean with the Regen, it happens like that during long/chain pulls and it doesn't necessarily mean it's the tank's fault on that. If a tank has an active regen on him, and hits a pack of 3 mobs with a single target ability (cause they aren't all in range of one Overpower, whatever) yeah that Regen is gonna make those other 2 targets in that group make a bee-line straight for you.

And if you're like, miles behind the tank and he has to stop his run and go all the way back to you to get the aggro on the other two, it's annoying. :p A good tank will realize this is happening and simply click off Regen as he's running to aggro the packs, but I wouldn't recommend tossing a Regen out like that until the pull at least stops moving. At that point if the tank doesn't have aggro on everything then it IS the tank's fault.

• 2Like

khorum

Murder Apologist
And if you're like, miles behind the tank and he has to stop his run and go all the way back to you to get the aggro on the other two, it's annoying. :p A good tank will realize this is happening and simply click off Regen as he's running to aggro the packs, but I wouldn't recommend tossing a Regen out like that until the pull at least stops moving. At that point if the tank doesn't have aggro on everything then it IS the tank's fault.

That's true and I think it's emblematic of the FFXIV's model where the bulk of cutting edge content are ex/savage trials where those conditions wouldn't be much of a factor if at all---so ppl generally don't have to worry about control much. With up-to-date gear a reasonably skilled tank can faceroll most roulette content and even some EX duties on the PF, but when folks try that harder stuff OUTSIDE of content that isn't in some tiny controlled arena like uwu and o12s, they run into those situations where control becomes a factor again.....and get smooshed.

It used to happen A LOT when Orbonne was still new and prolly still happens when you get into a roulette group with enough noobs. Happens all the fucking time in BA.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
It's all about timing, which comes with experience. I'll start most fights with regen and then work my way through the fight (4man stuff) without recasting usually. If we suck enough that I gotta regen twice, we also suck enough that I should regen myself.

It's only an issue if the tank doesn't go and pick up the mobs he didn't get initial aggro on, in dungeons. And even then, I can typically keep myself alive while still DPSing if that happens unless the tank completely forgot he was a tank.

Which happens. For some reason, DRKs have a very high percentage of doing this. At least warriors want to show off their l33t dps skillz so they hit everything because hey why not. Not sure why easy-AE DRK lose mobs all the time.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Which happens. For some reason, DRKs have a very high percentage of doing this. At least warriors want to show off their l33t dps skillz so they hit everything because hey why not. Not sure why easy-AE DRK lose mobs all the time.
Are they using Unleash or Abyssal Drain? Unleash has a potency of 50 while Abyssal drain potency of 120. AB would be a better choice for snap aggro.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Are they using Unleash or Abyssal Drain? Unleash has a potency of 50 while Abyssal drain potency of 120. AB would be a better choice for snap aggro.
Unleash has a threat modifier of 20x and is basically 1k+ potency(not counting Grit bonus), it shits on abyssal drain entirely for threat it's not even in the same category. It's worse for damage and generally if you're in Grit you're much better off spamming Abyssal Drain(and if you're not in Grit you better know what the fuck you're doing) since it's enough threat and does more damage, but if you just want threat, Unleash twice and you can go afk for the trash pack and not lose aggro. It's like Flash and Overpower.

• 2Like

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I just finished the Heavensward Hildibrand quest line. As silly as this quest line is, I must say that this part was really nice and touching. Probably one of my favorite questline in the game.

Is there somewhere that explains exactly who Goldbert and Julyan are, and why they are so damn powerful?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I just finished the Heavensward Hildibrand quest line. As silly as this quest line is, I must say that this part was really nice and touching. Probably one of my favorite questline in the game.

Is there somewhere that explains exactly who Goldbert and Julyan are, and why they are so damn powerful?
Well they're just Hildibrand parents and I guess that's a way kinda to explain why Hildibrand survives Nashu's bomb and being thrown across several continents, plant face first into the ground then stay there for months and somehow is still alive. There's no real logic to it and I don't think they pretend there is, unlike say Shantotto in XI.

dvoraen

Lord Nagafen Raider
I dont mean you, it's a thing that happens a lot with WHM though: stack regens early in pulls and get raped. In savage or BA where trash will one-shot even overgeared healers. It happens a lot to WHM fresh to BA---get one-shotted by trash for regen aggro, then realize there's no rezzes in BA and that they've wasted the last hour of their time and almost certainly everyone else's time.

They stop doing early regens fast after that.
Do they also learn that Medica II is not a prepull, or just-for-fucks-because-lol-ae-happened spell either? =p

I swear I'm going to have the equivalence of Medica II epilepsy with how much it makes me seize, seeing that.

• 1Like

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
I'm surprised you don't have non-essential party spell effects turned off yet. As soon as Blizzard IV came out, I shut those off.

• 1Salty

dvoraen

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm surprised you don't have non-essential party spell effects turned off yet. As soon as Blizzard IV came out, I shut those off.
I wasn't talking about spell effects. I'm talking about how idiotic white mages make me convulse.

• 1Worf

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Just got regen on my WHM and yea you're not kidding. Aggro magnet if its on prepull. :p

• 1Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Do they also learn that Medica II is not a prepull, or just-for-fucks-because-lol-ae-happened spell either? =p

I swear I'm going to have the equivalence of Medica II epilepsy with how much it makes me seize, seeing that.
Well same thing as I said really, it's kind of a non factor if you're geared and have tank stance(early leveling might be shit in that regard, until next expansion when they're moving tank stances earlier and shit). Having the WHM precast Medica II before pulls on raid fights isn't uncommon if there's some damage coming right away since that saves an oGCD(or worse a GCD). Threat should only be an issue in a few cases, like threat resets(O4S iirc had this shit a bunch) or if you're trying to pull the boss in DPS stance with no ninja in your party. Mind you, that is dependant on the WHM also using fucking Lucid to drop threat at some point(and then every 2mins on cd), which so many people don't fucking do, so that can suck.

But I do many of my daillies on tank and I've never bothered clicking off regen/medica or waiting for them to be off or whatever. SAMs who don't use Diversion or BLM/SMN/RDM who don't use Diversion OR Lucid tends to be a much bigger issue, threat wise, healers are pretty much never an issue for threat unless they're overhealing like crazy(and most of the overhealing healers are just baddies spamming Cure I on the tank non stop rather than spaming Cure III/Medica).

And Medica II is a just for fucks because an aoe happened, what else are you gonna use Medica II for, that's the whole point of the spell. Throw it out after an aoe(or before) and just resume DPS as the HoT heals people.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
We always had WHM threat issues during O4S, and not just because of the aggro resets. Almaghest hit like a truck. I would routinely have to Smokescreen the WHM or they would just rip aggro.