Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just bought the expansion, but i'm soooooo far behind. I'm working on the MSQ and i'm at 55 on smn/sch. I have all weekend to play but even with the 30% bonus earring I do see myself catching up this weekend.
That's a long fucking way. I hope your escape button finger is ready to be destroyed.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Have two monitors? I am sure some autist has story collections on youtube. Watch them while playing since 99 percent of story quests is clicking past dialogue and then running to another spot to click past dialogue and 4 cut scenes.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Decided to DL this for the hell of it, since some RL friends have played it for a while, and WoW was annoying me. Have a little 14 Archer, and decided to try out Carpentry just to see how it works. Get a few levels in on that and Botany, then need some parts from another crafting class to continue leveling Carpentry. Instead of just buying them, decide to go check out the other crafting class. Next thing you know I'm a 16 Botany, 15 Miner, with 42 levels combined in 5 crafting classes... Not able to queue up for MSQ dungeons while working, but crafting/gathering is great for it.

Gotta say, having a great time. Game feels like it has so much depth, and best crafting system think I've tried. Very very nice graphics too. Not nearly the manga type shit I was expecting.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Decided to DL this for the hell of it, since some RL friends have played it for a while, and WoW was annoying me. Have a little 14 Archer, and decided to try out Carpentry just to see how it works. Get a few levels in on that and Botany, then need some parts from another crafting class to continue leveling Carpentry. Instead of just buying them, decide to go check out the other crafting class. Next thing you know I'm a 16 Botany, 15 Miner, with 42 levels combined in 5 crafting classes... Not able to queue up for MSQ dungeons while working, but crafting/gathering is great for it.

Gotta say, having a great time. Game feels like it has so much depth, and best crafting system think I've tried. Very very nice graphics too. Not nearly the manga type shit I was expecting.

Oh you sweet summer child

Cybsled

Crafting/gathering is addictive in this game to be sure. It is also a good palette cleanser for when you don’t want to play combat classes. I’ll chill out in my house with a playlist on my orchestron and craft away.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I did the zone in SB where it's a big open plain and has the floating palace, really.enjoyed it. Didn't see anyone around, but the zone reminded me of the open plains of ffxi. Felt like a real mmo zone.

Also in that zone I went 65-66 in like an hour. Fastest I've levelled this expac.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Need a FC on Leviathan "Janx Gubbin" is char. Someone hook a brotha up. Had to reinstall everything this morning and lost all my macros/UI positioning ;( FML.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Well, finally got Goldsmith and Alchemist to 70. So that makes 4 with Carpenter and Weaver. I'm pretty happy with that. I'll continue with the Namazu dailies this week. Going to keep the custom deliveries for early access.

I'm not sure what my plan is for early access., concentrate on Miner/Botanist and sell mats, or try to level crafters too. I'm thinking, it will be easier for me to just focus on the gathering, I'm not rich, so I can't really compete with the dedicated crafters. Now I wonder, should I level both or concentrate on just 1...so many decisions. :)

I'm as ready as I'll be for Shadowbringers. I can't wait. 1 week. :)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Well, finally got Goldsmith and Alchemist to 70. So that makes 4 with Carpenter and Weaver. I'm pretty happy with that. I'll continue with the Namazu dailies this week. Going to keep the custom deliveries for early access.

I'm not sure what my plan is for early access., concentrate on Miner/Botanist and sell mats, or try to level crafters too. I'm thinking, it will be easier for me to just focus on the gathering, I'm not rich, so I can't really compete with the dedicated crafters. Now I wonder, should I level both or concentrate on just 1...so many decisions. :)

I'm as ready as I'll be for Shadowbringers. I can't wait. 1 week. :)
It's better to level both early on, because you only have a few collectible nodes but they generally make them so they're not all at the same time, so you can do the mining one, then do the botanist one and alternate and not waste time like that. Once you unlock a fair amount of them(66 or so) you can focus on one or the other and then do the next one after.

Main issue of leveling gathering first is you basically can't gear yourself without buying gear from crafters, and you can't gather the good stuff without gear. So you kinda have to grind a bit meh materials, but if you don't have money, you don't have much choice anyway, since you wouldn't be able to afford the mats for leveling crafting AND crafting the gear anyway, and you'd need all the crafts lvled other than CUL, to make tools/clothes/accessories. And you can still make good money just gathering whatever ore, log or whatever else people need for crafting leves in large quantities. You know like how ARM/BSM use High Steel Ingots as a leve turn in for SB, so you could sell thousands of koppranickel sand/ore instantly at decent prices for weeks.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I basically go as far as I can in the story before I hit some sort of wall (either playtime or needing a higher level or whatever) and get all the Aether currents in the zones as possible, then I start leveling mining/botany and working up crafting with leve turn ins from those. Just spend a couple of minutes when you first get to <insert hub here> and look at the first tier of available leaves. Then go out and gather stuff to complete those leves in droves. Figure out a rough number you need for your classes, and sell the excess. Repeat at each level range and zone. When you get bored or you want to finish burning off the story (or you're getting to the end of where you can easily fly to nodes with currents, ie need more main story to get to other zones and currents) then you go back and finish that up. Or you run out of leves; in which case just keep grinding on stuff you know is a turn in (or read is one) as you level the gatherers. Either way Come back, do the gathering/crafting cycles again and eventually you'll hit max with your main and all the crafters/gatherers. Don't use leves for gathering though. They are way better spent on crafters, and just grind on the materials you already can access that you know are part of leves/quests/whatever.

Don't forget to hit your daily GC turn-ins as well for -everything- even if you have to turn in NQ stuff for crafter classes. You should probably never do that with Gathering, but it may be a requirement for crafting early on unless you started decked in crafter gear from Stormblood.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
So Retainers - looking long term, is there any particular class/mission type that's better than the others, over all?

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Still can't decide between doing the new tank or AST. Leaning towards the new tank class. What's everyone else doing for battle classes?