Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

khorum

Murder Apologist
So pretty fun. Level 11. 😜 Story is mysterious so far, great music, good visuals on ps pro 4k. Tons of shit to do.

The story for the ARR---the base game until 50---is the weakest, most predictable high fantasy shit. It's like they went out of their way to make it as "Final-Fantasy" as they could and hammed up all the acting and music a little too much. But starting right after that, even with the patch content, the story starts getting much better. Eventually the writers for Heavensward took over and the writing for the last two post ARR patch content quests got DECIDEDLY more mature and far more interesting.

Then Heavensward blows it all out of the water.

If Heavensward had been a standalone FF game, it would be one of the best they've ever made. Stormblood's story wasn't as good but still stellar compared to any other RPG out there and Shadowbringers... well Shadowbringers' story puts it in GOTY contention for me and if THAT had been a standalone FF game I'd struggle to argue how it wouldn't be the best of the whole franchise.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
well Shadowbringers' story puts it in GOTY contention for me and if THAT had been a standalone FF game I'd struggle to argue how it wouldn't be the best of the whole franchise.

Yeah I'm kind of on this level with it. I think it helps to have all the backstory from the previous expansions/ARR of course, but by itself ShB is fucking amazing.

Malkav

French Madman
You guys remember when everyone was "where the fuck is this coming from?" during the storyline in 3.1/3.2 because it felt so out of place in the middle of the Heavensward story?

It's incredible we get answers to that 4 freaking years later.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
There’s still some shit from HW that I haven’t unlocked (I never did the void ark dungeon, etc.). Should I be sure to go back and do any old unlocks before going into ShB so I don’t miss any story? I’m not sure what’s story heavy or not, so not sure what dungeons I should do, or shit like Sephirot etc. or also some of the hard dungeons of SB that open after the first MSQ set.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
There’s still some shit from HW that I haven’t unlocked (I never did the void ark dungeon, etc.). Should I be sure to go back and do any old unlocks before going into ShB so I don’t miss any story? I’m not sure what’s story heavy or not, so not sure what dungeons I should do, or shit like Sephirot etc. or also some of the hard dungeons of SB that open after the first MSQ set.

I think the only context you need is to do the Crystal Tower story (level 50 24-man raids) and the Warriors of Darkness MSQs (around patch 3.2, I think).

khorum

Murder Apologist
Do Crystal Tower.... there is voiced content that only plays for people who played through Crystal Tower.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Alright, played through those back in the day but I’ll probably go check through the story again since I can’t remember what the fuck that was about. Thanks!

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I wish that I could enjoy the story more, I just feel so far behind at 73. I wanted to start raiding next week but it's doubtful

Cybsled

Skipping stuff from prior xpac probably impacts your leveling ability. There are a fuckton of high xp roulettes that aren’t unlocked until you open up enough content (alliance raid roulette being the biggest non-MSQ standout), as well as various trials and dungeons that aren’t MSQ related.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
So I am on a preferred server and leveling way too fast. Level 33 now and just hit level 20 MSQ quests. I have done zero side quests but i did do some hunting logs and the duty finder things that were available at appropriated levels. Should I be skipping everything but MSQs or does the exp/quest differences level out later on? Also does the preferred bonus go away once I hit 70 or does it apply to anything I level that’s below 70?

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
I'd skip anything not MSQ until 70+, even on a non preferred server the MSQ is all the exp you need generally. Even in Shadowbringers you can skip all the sidequests on your first class because the MSQ gives so much exp you don't need to do much to fill in the gaps except some daily roulettes.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Cleared Titania after a couple more hours into shit groups until a decent one. Fight's really not complicated I don't get why ppl die so much, it's not like Suzaku where you had to check the notes and figure out the pattern while still doing other shit, it's literally all just scripted shit or binary choices.

Played SCH since easier to find groups. I'm not disliking the new SCH too much, the DPS rotation is boring as fuck and when you're in the "there's nothing happening for the next 15secs" phases, it gets real bad, but when it gets all fucking hectic, it's easier to just press 1 I guess. Meanwhile the healing tools are fucking crazy, I feel like I can never run out of them even when I'm using them poorly. Hell I have yet to use Dissipation still even though it's actually pretty good now.

Some shitter in my FC was telling me how "SCH has mp issues" and when I said I didn't at 77(was a few days ago), he said "na it's just in endgame content". I don't think I've dipped under 80% other than the one time I died. There's so many free fucking heals, how would you even run out of mana. I was in a party with a WHM who was full DPS mode, fucker didn't even bother casting regen on the tank or Medica II at like almost any point in the fight, and I still barely had to hard cast heals(most of them during downtime, other than Recitation Adlo during add phase on one of the tanks). I mean not complaining, he did over 6k DPS, which btw is absurd, so that helped with our kill nicely.

Needless

Toe Sucker
Is POTD the way to level a lower level? i kinda wanna level BLM up but i'm pretty sure my Thaumaturge is only 26 or so lol

not convinced i'll enjoy dancer enough to stick to it, i wanna blow shit up

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
wormie wormie and Utnayan Utnayan , don't skip the +blue quest as they unlock stuff, dungeons, or other game features. So stick to MSQ and the +blue quest and you should be good.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

dvoraen

Lord Nagafen Raider
I saw Kriptini Kriptini running around Eulmore last night but my PF popped before I could call him a filthy lala.
No no, he is officially a "lala-ho" and you use /lalaho as your greeting. Also, all his ERP girlfriends are missing their beards, because dwarves are supposed to have them on the First. He and I have discussed this~

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
wormie wormie and Utnayan Utnayan , don't skip the +blue quest as they unlock stuff, dungeons, or other game features. So stick to MSQ and the +blue quest and you should be good.

Yep did those last night when I hit level 10. Guildleves, leves, also did a small party duty, and the housing tutorial but that lost me and I don't really care much about that yet.

Hit level 11 with ease really. Everything flows really well on a controller but I am going to nab a wireless keyboard and mouse to use for chatting and adjusting UI elements as recommended.