Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Farming extremes and our tanks are Warrior and Gunbreaker, Both similar DPS both green parse but the warrior activates 11 unique abilities during the fight and the gunbreaker almost 20.

Do you use an inner release burn phase with Fellcleave? make sure storms eye is up pop Inner release and berserk x2 and mash Fellcleave weave in your charge and upheaval as well as OGCDs.

Otherwise use fell cleave when ever you would cap your rage bar though it doesn't give crit anymore so that may change.
Yeah I do all that, warrior doesn't have a lot oGCD but I could try to weave charge/upheaval.

Berserk is replaced by Inner Release at a certain level, not sure what you mean by berserk x2

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Correct

Hoping to finish the 4.4+ content tonight so i can move onto SB, im sick of stormblood lol.
Still not sure how much i like dancer, i mostly do because i like the big damage the dances do. I'll ride the class out until 80 anyway
It's a fun class imo, but there's also a billion dancers around which makes it kinda annoying. And even played well, it's still way way lower DPS than other classes, due to all the buffs they bring. I don't think the jury is out entirely on wether it's worth it or not versus BRD however, but it's fairly close. It shits on low level dungeons pretty hard though for leveling roulette and alliance roulette and stuff, the scaling is way fucked at lower lvls. Had a lvling roulette in Sastasha normal and the DNC was doing 3times as much damage as I was doing on my MNK(largely because no MNK aoe until higher lvls, but for some reason DNC get theirs already so motherfucker was just spamming them aoes, while I was doing 123 without dragon kick or demolish, fun stuff). Not the same story when I do ShB dungeons however.

Tried a learning party for Titania EX, late to the party. Looks kinda easy, but people dying to everything and DPS is so fucking low. Been going as SCH, loving some of the new tools although I should probably use some of these things more. Recitation+Emergency+Adlo is great for DRK's Living Dead healing though, it's like 50k heal right away, combined with an excog+lustrate and I can almost solo heal them back up to full. Obviously, it's no benediction but eh.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Ok cool I'm just going to start at level 1. I made a Dark Elf looking dude. Playing on PS4 Pro but I also have a PC license for the original game that I tied into it so I could switch if I wanted.

Any advantage to buying the expansion now (Which includes all 3) over just waiting until I finish the original realm reborn?
Expansion at low lvl only really gives access to the expansion races, Au Ra, Viera and Horthgar. If you don't care about these, there's not much to get from having them until 50 where Samurai and Red Mage unlock. You will be capped in Palace of the Dead to floor 40 without Heavensward, but on a first character you shouldn't do potd anyway. Maybe if you want to lvl alts, but you can figure it out then.

• 1Like

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Sounds good and Noodleface Noodleface if you are on tonight or tomorrow I'll be on so I can join your Linkshell :) And sing. Elvis.

dvoraen

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yeah I do all that, warrior doesn't have a lot oGCD but I could try to weave charge/upheaval.

Berserk is replaced by Inner Release at a certain level, not sure what you mean by berserk x2
I'm assuming it was supposed to be Infuriate.

• 1Like

Needless

Toe Sucker
It's a fun class imo, but there's also a billion dancers around which makes it kinda annoying. And even played well, it's still way way lower DPS than other classes, due to all the buffs they bring. I don't think the jury is out entirely on wether it's worth it or not versus BRD however, but it's fairly close. It shits on low level dungeons pretty hard though for leveling roulette and alliance roulette and stuff, the scaling is way fucked at lower lvls. Had a lvling roulette in Sastasha normal and the DNC was doing 3times as much damage as I was doing on my MNK(largely because no MNK aoe until higher lvls, but for some reason DNC get theirs already so motherfucker was just spamming them aoes, while I was doing 123 without dragon kick or demolish, fun stuff). Not the same story when I do ShB dungeons however.

Tried a learning party for Titania EX, late to the party. Looks kinda easy, but people dying to everything and DPS is so fucking low. Been going as SCH, loving some of the new tools although I should probably use some of these things more. Recitation+Emergency+Adlo is great for DRK's Living Dead healing though, it's like 50k heal right away, combined with an excog+lustrate and I can almost solo heal them back up to full. Obviously, it's no benediction but eh.

Yeah so far i've enjoyed it. It was a struggle through level 60 until i got a better weapon but after that i had a grand old time. One thing i really like about the class though is how Closed Position interacts and shares the big cooldowns between the two players.

It also drives me fucking mental when i get in a group with another dancer and they closed position the tank, REEEEEEEE

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
Ok cool I'm just going to start at level 1. I made a Dark Elf looking dude. Playing on PS4 Pro but I also have a PC license for the original game that I tied into it so I could switch if I wanted.

Any advantage to buying the expansion now (Which includes all 3) over just waiting until I finish the original realm reborn?
I started brand new on FFXIV on the PS4 Pro myself a month or so ago, so here's what I have found as a newbie on PS4 FFXIV.

1. Get a USB mouse and keyboard for your PS4. Use your controller to play the game, but trust me when I say that having a mouse for mucking with your UI and keyboard for chatting with your FC/Party members is a 100% plus to your overall enjoyment of the game.
  2. If you are using the controller to play the game, you are going to be using cross hotbars because that's just how it works. You will run out of crosshot bar buttons quickly UNTIL you realize you have 8 of them. Go in to character configuration (yeah I know that it sounds like an odd place to put it, but that's where they put it), and find the crosshotbar configuration area.
  3. Set crosshotbars 5 through 8 to SHARED. Do this before you start putting anything on these crosshotbars, or when you change them to shared, everything you put in them will disappear.
  4. Turn on the extended crosshotbars (think that's the name). Thatt adds 4 hotbuttons on the left and right of your main crosshotbar. You double pump the left or right trigger buttons to activate these . I put things like summoning mount, eating, etc in these areas. You will also set these extra slots to a particular crosshotbar that it pulls the hotbuttons from because you do NOT directly put abilities/macros on them. Set these extended crosshotbars to crosshotbar number 5. Remember that we set 5 to shared. So, you go to crosshotbar 5, put your abilities/macros on these buttons, and they will show up in those extended crosshotbar buttons for you to use.
  5. Next turn on your double trigger crosshotbars. I don't remember what they are called, but you will see it in the crosshotbar configuration area of character configuration. It's the ones that show up when you hold down left trigger then right trigger OR right trigger then left trigger. In essence, this gives you 16 more crosshotbar buttons. 8 for left-right and 8 for right-left. Again, these will be set to specific crosshotbars that it is refernecing when you hold down the left/right trigger or right/left trigger.
  6. Typically, I use the left/right trigger combination for cross-class/job abilities like teleport, return, sprint, etc. These are abilities that I want to set once, and not have to setup on every single class/job I play. So, use something like crosshotbar 7 for these since that is a shared crosshotbar (as we configured earlier).
  7. Then for the right/left trigger combination, I use these 8 extra hotbuttons for class/job specific abilities/macros. So, set it to a non-shared chrosshotbar like number 2. Put in class/job specific abilities/macros that you don't use all the time, but use on occassion.
  8. Since you have to pretty much hold down a trigger on your controller to do just about anything in the game, you want to make sure to put your most used (in combat) abilities/macros on the crosshotbar buttons associated with your a,b,x,y buttons. It's much easier to hold down your left trigger or right trigger and press a,b,x,y than it is to hold down the left trigger and one of the crossbar buttons (up, down, left, right) at least to me. I reserve the crossbar buttons for things I rarely use in combat because I find it a pain in the ass to take my thumb off the left joystick to press one of the crossbar buttons which results in my character coming to a complete stop while I activate a button. Do what makes your life easier, but I find keeping as little on the crosshotbar buttons as possible, so I can continue moving my character around with the left joystick as much as possible. Staying out of the bad shit is a constant struggle lol.
That's about it. I was a die hard keyboard and mouse player with over 17 years in EQ and WoW, so making the switch to playing a MMORPG with a controller was rough at first, but it has grown on me fast. I love it now, and I wonder if I could ever go back to not using a controller now.

Also, I have to say that playing a MMORPG on my PS4 Pro is fucking amazing. I LOVE not having to deal with Window's bloatware ass booting up slowly, running updates in the background that just happen to make my harddrive run at 100% for an hour at a time, and viruses/back doors by assholes for whom were born for the sole purpose in life of making other people's lives miserable. I just turn on my PS4 Pro, click the button on FFXIV, and I am in the game playing in less than 2 minutes tops.

The best part of all is the fact that everything money-wise goes through my playstation account, so I don't have to give my credit card information to some sleezy ass company like Daybreak Games. I just really have a hard time believing that I would EVER want to go back to the old way of playing a MMORPG.

Welcome to FFXIV.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
One thing I forgot to mention for people playing on PS4 is that you hold down the right bumper button on the controller, and then you can choose any of the 8 available crosshotbars to switch to at anytime.

So, to pull up crosshotbar 2, you would hold down the right bumper and then press the B button (think that's the button lol.. it shows you on screen when you hold down the right bumper button.

• 1Like

Cybsled

I was playing dancer, but decided to level my machinist first. Something very satisfying about a drill rocket launcher or an auto crossbow that sounds like a 50 cal lol

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
I was playing dancer, but decided to level my machinist first. Something very satisfying about a drill rocket launcher or an auto crossbow that sounds like a 50 cal lol

I've seen some serious numbers put up by Machinists, What they lack of support options they make up for in DPS.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
I started brand new on FFXIV on the PS4 Pro myself a month or so ago, so here's what I have found as a newbie on PS4 FFXIV.

1. Get a USB mouse and keyboard for your PS4. Use your controller to play the game, but trust me when I say that having a mouse for mucking with your UI and keyboard for chatting with your FC/Party members is a 100% plus to your overall enjoyment of the game.
  2. If you are using the controller to play the game, you are going to be using cross hotbars because that's just how it works. You will run out of crosshot bar buttons quickly UNTIL you realize you have 8 of them. Go in to character configuration (yeah I know that it sounds like an odd place to put it, but that's where they put it), and find the crosshotbar configuration area.
  3. Set crosshotbars 5 through 8 to SHARED. Do this before you start putting anything on these crosshotbars, or when you change them to shared, everything you put in them will disappear.
  4. Turn on the extended crosshotbars (think that's the name). Thatt adds 4 hotbuttons on the left and right of your main crosshotbar. You double pump the left or right trigger buttons to activate these . I put things like summoning mount, eating, etc in these areas. You will also set these extra slots to a particular crosshotbar that it pulls the hotbuttons from because you do NOT directly put abilities/macros on them. Set these extended crosshotbars to crosshotbar number 5. Remember that we set 5 to shared. So, you go to crosshotbar 5, put your abilities/macros on these buttons, and they will show up in those extended crosshotbar buttons for you to use.
  5. Next turn on your double trigger crosshotbars. I don't remember what they are called, but you will see it in the crosshotbar configuration area of character configuration. It's the ones that show up when you hold down left trigger then right trigger OR right trigger then left trigger. In essence, this gives you 16 more crosshotbar buttons. 8 for left-right and 8 for right-left. Again, these will be set to specific crosshotbars that it is refernecing when you hold down the left/right trigger or right/left trigger.
  6. Typically, I use the left/right trigger combination for cross-class/job abilities like teleport, return, sprint, etc. These are abilities that I want to set once, and not have to setup on every single class/job I play. So, use something like crosshotbar 7 for these since that is a shared crosshotbar (as we configured earlier).
  7. Then for the right/left trigger combination, I use these 8 extra hotbuttons for class/job specific abilities/macros. So, set it to a non-shared chrosshotbar like number 2. Put in class/job specific abilities/macros that you don't use all the time, but use on occassion.
  8. Since you have to pretty much hold down a trigger on your controller to do just about anything in the game, you want to make sure to put your most used (in combat) abilities/macros on the crosshotbar buttons associated with your a,b,x,y buttons. It's much easier to hold down your left trigger or right trigger and press a,b,x,y than it is to hold down the left trigger and one of the crossbar buttons (up, down, left, right) at least to me. I reserve the crossbar buttons for things I rarely use in combat because I find it a pain in the ass to take my thumb off the left joystick to press one of the crossbar buttons which results in my character coming to a complete stop while I activate a button. Do what makes your life easier, but I find keeping as little on the crosshotbar buttons as possible, so I can continue moving my character around with the left joystick as much as possible. Staying out of the bad shit is a constant struggle lol.
That's about it. I was a die hard keyboard and mouse player with over 17 years in EQ and WoW, so making the switch to playing a MMORPG with a controller was rough at first, but it has grown on me fast. I love it now, and I wonder if I could ever go back to not using a controller now.

Also, I have to say that playing a MMORPG on my PS4 Pro is fucking amazing. I LOVE not having to deal with Window's bloatware ass booting up slowly, running updates in the background that just happen to make my harddrive run at 100% for an hour at a time, and viruses/back doors by assholes for whom were born for the sole purpose in life of making other people's lives miserable. I just turn on my PS4 Pro, click the button on FFXIV, and I am in the game playing in less than 2 minutes tops.

The best part of all is the fact that everything money-wise goes through my playstation account, so I don't have to give my credit card information to some sleezy ass company like Daybreak Games. I just really have a hard time believing that I would EVER want to go back to the old way of playing a MMORPG.

Welcome to FFXIV.

Thanks man much appreciated. I'll follow these steps tonight before I start playing.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
There WOULD have been a benefit if you preordered shadowbringers to get the +30% exp earring, but that ship has sailed

• 1Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I've seen some serious numbers put up by Machinists, What they lack of support options they make up for in DPS.
Yeah MCH seem in a really good spot AND they look cool as fuck, I love the redesign and how they didn't half ass it and gave them plenty of new abilities, and it now feels like a real class rather than just gunnner with robot kind of thing. The multiple tools stuff is great.

Needless

Toe Sucker
There WOULD have been a benefit if you preordered shadowbringers to get the +30% exp earring, but that ship has sailed

This annoyed me lol i got it the day of release and missed it. I thought it was part of the 'collectors digital edition' or whatever.
Aw well

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Got my BTN to 80. Started in on FSH. That is going a little slower due to not having leves, but still got a level getting the items and doing turning for 70 delivery. Tomorrow is delivery day!

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Got to 73 last night. I do like Warrior still, but it definitely feels neutered. The rotation is so boring.

I do love that I can overpower groups nonstop now in dungeons though. They made AOE threat kind of like WoW where it just doesn't matter at all anymore. Also the amount of fell cleaves I can cast is absolutely ridiculous. I haven't figured out the optimal way to weave them in.

Nascent Flash, which you get at level 76, is absolutely incredible for big dungeon pulls. It grants a suped-up version of Bloodbath to the entire party. Also great for recovery situations against bosses. Essentially, WAR gives the party Medica II when dealing damage and also reduces incoming damage by 10%, all on a 25s CD. Such an awesome ability.

Also for those of you who are wondering about which jobs are doing the highest personal DPS, here's what I've found in my experiences. Instead of ranking them individually I have them put into tiers because some of the jobs are so close in damage that it's inconclusive to say which has higher personal DPS.

Tier 1: BLM
Tier 2: DRG, MNK, SAM
Tier 3: MCH, SMN, RDM
Tier 4: BRD, NIN
Tier 5: DNC
Tier 6: WHM, PLD, GNB
Tier 7: DRK, WAR
Tier 8: SCH, AST

These tiers only factor in personal DPS and not group utility. If you factor in group utility then currently DRG is Tier 0.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Nascent Flash, which you get at level 76, is absolutely incredible for big dungeon pulls. It grants a suped-up version of Bloodbath to the entire party. Also great for recovery situations against bosses. Essentially, WAR gives the party Medica II when dealing damage and also reduces incoming damage by 10%, all on a 25s CD. Such an awesome ability.

Also for those of you who are wondering about which jobs are doing the highest personal DPS, here's what I've found in my experiences. Instead of ranking them individually I have them put into tiers because some of the jobs are so close in damage that it's inconclusive to say which has higher personal DPS.

Tier 1: BLM
Tier 2: DRG, MNK, SAM
Tier 3: MCH, SMN, RDM
Tier 4: BRD, NIN
Tier 5: DNC
Tier 6: WHM, PLD, GNB
Tier 7: DRK, WAR
Tier 8: SCH, AST

These tiers only factor in personal DPS and not group utility. If you factor in group utility then currently DRG is Tier 0.

FF Logs - Combat Analysis for FF

FF Logs - Combat Analysis for FF

Not that Ex Trials are the end all be all, but it would swap MCH and DRG in your tiers, and RDM/BRD