Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
If there are people playing this on Gilgamesh, once I hit 50 and the semester ends I'd be up for playing quite a bit during the summer.

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
I hated TESO because it was a poorly designed broken mess. I still play WoW albeit not for long as the content production is way too slow with all the money they make, and I do not see how they cannot have a ton more content based on the revenue generation.

FF14 has a few things going for it. Graphically from an atmospheric stand point, it is gorgeous. Cities and environments are well done and the NPC characters so far have unique personalities. (Of the limited ones I have met in the game) The slow paced combat works for me since I am playing this on a PS4 with a PS4 controller so I am not button mashing. The crafting systems seem fairly deep. The story is actually pretty decent so far, admittedly I am playing Solo and probably will for the unforeseeable future. The production values seem much higher, albeit this is also FF14 2.0 and they royally screwed the pooch on the 1st game - however, they did make up for it with their consumer base which is something not a lot of companies out there would do when they screw over the consumers to that extent.

Not that far in though, so it could get pretty boring pretty quick. But for now (And I played the PC version at launch - pretty much caught up to where I was when I ditched the PC version) we will see what happens. I also got it very cheap. The PS4 version is on sale right now for $23.
Try to stick with it until 50, don't burn yourself out with leveling though. Just doing the daily dungeon + guildhest and working on your story quests is enough to hit 50 if you go at a relaxed pace. Throw in a few side quests and leves if you want to level faster, or run dungeons if you're not a dps.

Nehrak_sl

shitlord
Really, if they really want to make BLM "better" without it being so turrety, they can just lower the cast time (not the recast) of Fire and Blizzard and call it a day.
tongue.png
It would also implicitly help the Firestarter proc issue. The other thing I want them to do for THM/BLM is give the Thunder spells more uniqueness. For example: Thunder 1 = bzzt + dot; Thunder 2 = AE + maybe-dot; Thunder 3 = PEWPEW USE WITH THUNDERCLOUD AND/OR SWIFTCAST with no dot (it's just a 400ish potency attack with a 6s cast time, something like that). Or just make BLM switch between Fire/Ice/Thunder elements and have them be meant as burst/regen/sustained dps spells respectively.

As far as 3.0 goes, I'd be surprised if we get more than two (job) abilities for post-50. I'm expecting it to be mostly traits to fill in the gaps, honestly, since 3 hotbars are getting purty-full with cross-class thrown in. (I also really want them to not use Blizzard II as an AE crutch; Fire II thx.)

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Really, if they really want to make BLM "better" without it being so turrety, they can just lower the cast time (not the recast) of Fire and Blizzard and call it a day.
tongue.png
It would also implicitly help the Firestarter proc issue.
I'm excited to see what new abilities and mechanics they add in the expansion. I'm sure they're aware of BLM issues, and I expect something fun or interesting added to the class.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Try to stick with it until 50, don't burn yourself out with leveling though. Just doing the daily dungeon + guildhest and working on your story quests is enough to hit 50 if you go at a relaxed pace. Throw in a few side quests and leves if you want to level faster, or run dungeons if you're not a dps.
Ok sounds good. I am an Archer so...

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
tongue.png
It would also implicitly help the Firestarter proc issue. The other thing I want them to do for THM/BLM is give the Thunder spells more uniqueness. For example: Thunder 1 = bzzt + dot; Thunder 2 = AE + maybe-dot; Thunder 3 = PEWPEW USE WITH THUNDERCLOUD AND/OR SWIFTCAST with no dot (it's just a 400ish potency attack with a 6s cast time, something like that). Or just make BLM switch between Fire/Ice/Thunder elements and have them be meant as burst/regen/sustained dps spells respectively.

As far as 3.0 goes, I'd be surprised if we get more than two (job) abilities for post-50. I'm expecting it to be mostly traits to fill in the gaps, honestly, since 3 hotbars are getting purty-full with cross-class thrown in. (I also really want them to not use Blizzard II as an AE crutch; Fire II thx.)
Not bad ideas.

They also could do the obvious done in other games, nerf the damage and lower the cast timers. I know Yoshi said his favorite class was BLM some time ago, so I don't think that would happen.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Couple things that might make you a little more relaxed about it if you are already enjoying it. Progressing the story unlocks all but a couple of dungeons, which you unlock by going to the Waking Sands (you'll go there much earlier through the story line first) and they get progressively more complex and "difficult" as you go along. As long as you work on your hunting log in the relevant levels, hit fates up when you see them and they are nearby areas where you are already leveling, and basically always keep yourself queued for dungeons that you unlock, you will have a fairly seamless leveling experience on your first character. Every other non crafting/gathering class you level will get a bonus to xp depending on how far away from your highest leveled combat class. This basically covers quite a bit of the xp that you normally would get from doing the storyline quests. None of this takes into account rest xp or doing all the sidequests you come across as well. I found myself outleveling some of the lower areas before I had finished the storyline involving them due to this, so if you seem like you are plowing through levels without doing hunting log stuff or the others I mentioned above, just ease off the sidequest action and it'll even out.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Couple things that might make you a little more relaxed about it if you are already enjoying it. Progressing the story unlocks all but a couple of dungeons, which you unlock by going to the Waking Sands (you'll go there much earlier through the story line first) and they get progressively more complex and "difficult" as you go along. As long as you work on your hunting log in the relevant levels, hit fates up when you see them and they are nearby areas where you are already leveling, and basically always keep yourself queued for dungeons that you unlock, you will have a fairly seamless leveling experience on your first character. Every other non crafting/gathering class you level will get a bonus to xp depending on how far away from your highest leveled combat class. This basically covers quite a bit of the xp that you normally would get from doing the storyline quests. None of this takes into account rest xp or doing all the sidequests you come across as well. I found myself outleveling some of the lower areas before I had finished the storyline involving them due to this, so if you seem like you are plowing through levels without doing hunting log stuff or the others I mentioned above, just ease off the sidequest action and it'll even out.
Ok sounds good. I seem to be doing every quest I see right now, but also started the Leves as well, and I seem to have quite a few leves stored up. I think I am hold 100 so that seems to be never ending as well. I was thinking of picking up Carpentry since I am an archer. Is that a good trade skill in the market today?

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I'm sorry I don't really remember but does FFXIV have it set up to easily get groups and progress through the game? I know several have posted so really good info but not sure when you log in are you expected to run from one place to the next? Queue up? I honestly do not remember what I was doing in game but I don't remember anything being too difficult but for whatever reason I quit halfway through my second character.

Things I do remember, the game was beautiful, loved the soundtrack, market board/AH was easy to use, trades killing wasn't too bad though I didn't get too into it, and tanks/healers had no problems getting groups. Game was slow paced compared to other MMO's but not old school, EQ slow.

Really thinking of picking this back up but hate to spend the money only to realize I cannot get much out of the game being a pretty casual player due to work right now.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Ok sounds good. I seem to be doing every quest I see right now, but also started the Leves as well, and I seem to have quite a few leves stored up. I think I am hold 100 so that seems to be never ending as well. I was thinking of picking up Carpentry since I am an archer. Is that a good trade skill in the market today?
Carpenter is kinda meh. In general, crafting is an endgame thing, you don't need crafted gear to level and the low level prices mats aren't even that affordable for a minor bonus over just garbage NPC vendor gear or quest rewards, and equal or worse than dungeon gear. Crafting endgame is basically having every craft to cap anyway, so you don't really pick one. You can try messing around with crafitng and see if you like it, but it takes a while. As you level up, you can unlock GC daily turn ins for specific items per craft that give pretty good xp(it's just one item so it goes pretty fast) and Ixal beastmen daillies which let you level crafts some more, and leves are very important to level crafts too.

Better crafts unless you want to really go deep into it would be weaver/leatherworker/armor(depending on what your class wears, so LTW for bard) and goldsmith, so you can make spiritbind gear and instead make your money like this. Can also sell spiritbind gear for decent money without much gearing and shit. All the high end crafting requires a very long time and money investment and the profits are the lowest atm since they haven't added new recipes in a while and the expansion is coming.

For combat leves, don't bother too much, they're nice to have something to do inbetween dungeons on other chars, but on your first char you shouldn't have to do them. They're basically repeatable quests, that's all they are. Even if you hit 100, you don't really need to feel forced to spend them, or if you do, look into crafting leves instead(or gathering if you hate yourself).

Muligan, group stuff is done 2 ways, DF and PF. DF is Duty Finder, which is a matchmaking queueing system, you select the dungeons you want to go, click Queue and wait it out, it makes basic groups for it with people on your server group and shit. Other way is PF which is Party Finder, which lets you setup a group message that people on your server can see, and if they fit the requirements(ilvl, class), they can join your group. It's basically the old LFG system, but without a spammy channel. DF tends to be for the easier content/daillies and what not while PF tends to be for the harder content and farm groups and such, since you can kick people who suck, do non standard groups to do an easier strat and so on.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
Anyone know if you can create a 2nd character on the same world with a free trial account? I am on Excalibur which is a
full server so the only way to create a new character there is in the middle of the night or early morning. Not going to bother trying to create a new character during those times if the free trial outright prevents it.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
Honestly mate, Archer is far from the best class to lvl first. Very dependent on other class skills to get decent DPS.

Arcanist is by far the best class to lvl first. It's the only class where two jobs automatically level without it rather than one. One is the solo OP pet class - Summoner - and the other is easy mode healer - Scholar. Both are powerful without any abilities from any other jobs/classes.

Stick it out on Archer if you're enjoying it but just be aware it's a bit of a ballache, bland and under powered for story quests and leveling.

ixian_sl

shitlord
I'd also recommend going through guildhests once you gain access to them. They are a nice bit of EXP and you will be required to do some of them later on for the post-50 story content, so might as well get them unlocked as soon as you can.

Edit: Also Pyros, I just realized you post on GAF too haha. I saw a post about crafting from you on there last night and thought "hm that writing style seems familiar" then looked at the name and avatar.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Honestly mate, Archer is far from the best class to lvl first. Very dependent on other class skills to get decent DPS.

Arcanist is by far the best class to lvl first. It's the only class where two jobs automatically level without it rather than one. One is the solo OP pet class - Summoner - and the other is easy mode healer - Scholar. Both are powerful without any abilities from any other jobs/classes.

Stick it out on Archer if you're enjoying it but just be aware it's a bit of a ballache, bland and under powered for story quests and leveling.
I may try that as well, for now I like Archer though. Problem is I would make another class to try if I could do it on Gilgamesh, but it never takes fresh characters so I am not particularly fond of paying $18 to transfer him if I like it. Thanks all for the tips.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
If you already have a character on Gilg, should be able to make new characters on Gilg, no problem.

Don't really need to reroll, though, once you hit like 15 on one class, you can go take up any other class and level it.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Gilgamesh was open for new characters for like 4 hours this morning, Between ~8am and noon central.

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
Anyone have a good suggestion for a community site to get caught up on the game? Something like icy-veins. I'm considering playing again but the end-game seems daunting. I'd also like to get caught up on class details and rotations so that I can figure out what I might like to play.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
If you already have a character on Gilg, should be able to make new characters on Gilg, no problem.

Don't really need to reroll, though, once you hit like 15 on one class, you can go take up any other class and level it.
Ok I'll do that then. I'll try creating new characters too just to test on Gilgamesh now that I have a character on there.

Explosivo_sl

shitlord
Anyone have a good suggestion for a community site to get caught up on the game? Something like icy-veins. I'm considering playing again but the end-game seems daunting. I'd also like to get caught up on class details and rotations so that I can figure out what I might like to play.
Not a community site, but this reddit thread:[Guide] From fresh fifty to i105 in 2.5 : ffxivhas been my bible since reaching endgame. Pretty much everything else you will pick up on over time. I've only been playing about 2 months and im like ilvl115. It also helped that I choose a tank as my first class. Instaqueues ftw.