Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
Not a community site, but this reddit thread:[Guide] From fresh fifty to i105 in 2.5 : ffxivhas been my bible since reaching endgame. Pretty much everything else you will pick up on over time. I've only been playing about 2 months and im like ilvl115. It also helped that I choose a tank as my first class. Instaqueues ftw.
That guide mentions a long relic weapon quest chain. Is that something that will become obsolete when the expansion comes out or will there be a way to upgrade it in the expansion?

I chose a tank as first character because of instaqueues as well but I'm beginning to think the combat gameplay will be more fun playing a rogue/ninja or pugilist/monk.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Ok I'll do that then. I'll try creating new characters too just to test on Gilgamesh now that I have a character on there.
Just to reiterate, the only reason to create a new character is to change the race, as you can be every class in the game on one character, and for combat classes (healers/tanks/dps) you will level faster by already having one class leveled partially. Not to mention that you get a plethora of cross class skills that can be used by most classes until 30, so leveling multiple classes on one character is beneficial and actually required to pick up your "job" at 30, where you get restricted to only using two related classes to the job to draw cross class abilities from. Spending 20 minutes to level white mage to 8, for example, lets you use protect on all your characters until they hit 30, which is a nice boost to soloing durability for most/all. And has been mentioned before, the crafting/gathering classes pretty much require you to level every other crafting/gathering class to actually do any of the endgame stuff.

So yeah, if you just wanted to run around as a different sized character, "test" away, but it is always better to level different classes on the same character.

Saban_sl

shitlord
That guide mentions a long relic weapon quest chain. Is that something that will become obsolete when the expansion comes out or will there be a way to upgrade it in the expansion?

I chose a tank as first character because of instaqueues as well but I'm beginning to think the combat gameplay will be more fun playing a rogue/ninja or pugilist/monk.
It'll have some use in Heavenward, supposedly, but dont expect anything too drastic. Probably more cosmetic than anything.

I did the same thing by going Paladin first and realizing with the slower gameplay i didn't care much for tanking since everything felt so unresponsive when it came to taunting and snap aggro. So i switched to monk haven't looked back. Itching to try BLM once i have more time too.

ixian_sl

shitlord

I don't think anyone will know what will happen with relic weapons until the expansion hits; SE has backtracked on occasion when it comes to other matters so whatever they say should be taken with a grain of salt.

Paladin is fairly boring to level; Warrior's fun to play but given the way they meter out ability unlocks in this game even it is kind of dull till later on. Great Axes are the best, though.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
If you already have a character on Gilg, should be able to make new characters on Gilg, no problem.

Don't really need to reroll, though, once you hit like 15 on one class, you can go take up any other class and level it.
Do you know for certain that is the case? I have a character on Excalibur and on the free trial it was locked for creating new characters. Didn't make sense to not allow someone with a character already on the server to not make a new one so my assumption is it was a free trial limitation.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Well I got on Gilg back when the game first came out and everyone here was playing, but I didn't have the time to play seriously at that time.

So I've subbed a time or two since, and each time Gilg was locked to new character creation, but I've been able to just go ahead and make a new character when I wanted, on that server, without any problems.

So I think that's the free trial keeping you from doing that.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
Well I got on Gilg back when the game first came out and everyone here was playing, but I didn't have the time to play seriously at that time.

So I've subbed a time or two since, and each time Gilg was locked to new character creation, but I've been able to just go ahead and make a new character when I wanted, on that server, without any problems.

So I think that's the free trial keeping you from doing that.
I decided to say screw it and bought the game. Still can't create a second character on Excalibur.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I decided to say screw it and bought the game. Still can't create a second character on Excalibur.
Hmm not sure how it works during the free month, but the basic sub only has 1 char slot per server and 8total. You then pay like 1$ a month more or whatever to upgrade to 8/40. Which is great since one char is enough for the most part and that makes the sub actually cheaper. So maybe you're just locked from making more chars at all? I'd test it but I'm one of the ppl subbing at reduced price with only one char, so I can't ^^.

Gilg is extremely populated though, so it'd be hard getting in. If I were to try to make a char on Gilg, I'd probably just wait until a maintenance, though this can be kinda long. Next one is next tuesday. There aren't that many people playing on Gilg from the board though, you could just as well pick another decently populated server and play there and if you really want to once the expansion hits, you could server transfer to Gilg(which I think follows different rules so it bypasses the char creation lock).

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I was able to make a new character on Gilg today at 6am Central time.

Which I did, largely because I couldn't remember dick-all about where my old character was in the story.

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
Man, I'd have already tried this if recovering your account wasn't still a nightmare. I see that Square still blows when it comes to account management.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
Logged in early this morning and was able to create a second character on Excalibur. Apparently even if you have purchased the game and already have a character on a server, when that server is locked for new character creation it is locked across the board for everyone regardless of whether you have an existing character on the server or not.

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
Finally figured out my account info and now when I try to log in it tells me that my registration code is invalid? Every time I try to play this game I run into issues with their account system.

Has anyone ever run into this issue?

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
There's a good chance that you have a similar issue to what I did initially. I had my "beta" ID and then my pre-launch ID. When you go to the mog station, see which account is considered the active one. Then use the info for the right one. If I remember correctly, I had to log into Mog Station and make sure I enabled the correct account. Like I had two IDs but only one was enabled, which wasn't the one I had purchased early access for. I had to manually go through and switch to that one through mog station and some other intuitive stuff on the SE account website. Was a pain but I didn't have to email anyone or anything.

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
There's a good chance that you have a similar issue to what I did initially. I had my "beta" ID and then my pre-launch ID. When you go to the mog station, see which account is considered the active one. Then use the info for the right one. If I remember correctly, I had to log into Mog Station and make sure I enabled the correct account. Like I had two IDs but only one was enabled, which wasn't the one I had purchased early access for. I had to manually go through and switch to that one through mog station and some other intuitive stuff on the SE account website. Was a pain but I didn't have to email anyone or anything.
Hmm, I seemed to have been able to switch it to an active account. Thanks for the advice.

I think I just need to sub now. I'm thinking it over, haha. I always seem to resub to shit and then immediately regret it. The game sounds very improved, though.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
Now's probably the best time to get back in or start this game if anyone's on the fence.

84-ish days from now the expansion drops but as said, they already are removing the weekly locks on WoD and adding Final Coil to the dungeon finder.

Can use that time to get back into the flow of the game or finish up some jobs for cross-classing the new ones coming later.

Vlett

Lord Nagafen Raider
Now's probably the best time to get back in or start this game if anyone's on the fence.

84-ish days from now the expansion drops but as said, they already are removing the weekly locks on WoD and adding Final Coil to the dungeon finder.

Can use that time to get back into the flow of the game or finish up some jobs for cross-classing the new ones coming later.
Wife and I are restarting on Balmung(sp). Man I'm completely out of the loop on grinding to 50. I assume we should just stick to the story for the first grind?

Harkon

Vyemm Raider
Definitely. Following the story should be the priority as you level up your first class.

I'm on Balmung so can outfit you if you want some good leveling gear. I have all the crafting stuff maxxed.

If you can fight your way through the hordes of ERPers to reach me that is.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I've got a couple friends on Balmung, from their warnings, you just need to watch out for naked male catpeople cybersexing everywhere.