Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Question if anyone knows. I'm reading around and its saying you have to finish all current story quest to even be able to access any of the expansion stuff(ie if I came back to this game just as the expansion dropped, I would have to do all the prior stuff before even moving on to what I came back to play), is this true? Like for instance if I was interested in playing one of the new jobs for the expansion, I should just focus on making sure the story is finished(so I can even access the new job) and maxing classes I think will be part of that job for the skills? Seems odd to me they would restrict the new jobs like that, means anyone new can't just create a character and start on the job they want.

For instance the machinst looks fun(I'm a sucker for guns). Currently I have a BLM I haven't played since turn 5 in Coil. I'm thinking I should just finish the story on the BLM, so I can have access to the machinst job come expansion. Then level up things I think that job would use for cross-class(probably archer/pug/lnc) and then just chill(maybe make money and leveling gathering in spurts).

Citz

Silver Squire
That's the current understanding.
The new classes will be in the new city in Ishgard. In order to access Ishgard, you need to be done with the 2.55 story quest.

It's not that different from when the DK was first introduced in WoW as it required a lvl 55+ character.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah, assuming translation wasn't fucked up, they mentionned you will need to finish the current story to have access to Ishgard. It makes sense from a continuity point of view, however it also means a lot of people are gonna be pretty fucking angry when they start playing the expansion and notice they can't actually do any of the new shit until they do like 8hours of 50 content. That and the fact every story arc requires to do a 8man boss, some of which are relatively annoying, I'm not sure how it's gonna work out. I think giving access to Ishgard but not to the story would be fine, forcing people to do the 2.0 story is gonna get a lot of backlash.

Anyway because of that if you plan on playing the expansion, resub like a week or two before the expansion and finish your story shit. There's quite a lot of story content to catch up on, it's not something you clear in an afternoon, even if you skip all the text and cutscenes, you're still looking at like 2-3hours per major patch, plus whatever queue for the dungeon you need, and there were 5 major patches(and the last one has 2 dungeons which are also hard enough that you'll need a carry or to find good player, which might involve more than one run).

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah reading up now, seems like dungeons, some 8 mans, including ilevel gear checks etc. Not sure this is the wisest plan, like you said. So many people will jump back in for expac and when they learn they can't do anything in that expansion until they finish w/e story they haven't done, which are not simple solo mode quest which you can knock out quickly, they are going to be upset.

Guess I will just finish story with BLM, and then do some gathering/fishing randomly. Maybe work on classes , though no clue what machinist will use(considering they are dumping base class, who knows which cross class skills work).

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I would imagine that they will most likely let people into the new content but not progress the main storyline until you complete the old. This includes letting people make the new jobs when they hit 30. For everyone else that has played the game, they will probably quickly realize that you'll have "raid" encounters interspersed with the content to unlock further tiers, as this has been a thing since day one with ARR. What I would hazard to say that they'll do is that they'll take the Ilvel caps off the story progression stuff when Heavensward releases so that if people are having trouble with it, they can outlevel/gear it and then smash it easier.

Then again, this is Square, and with FFXI expansions they really didn't care if players were ready to move into the expansion content hah.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I would imagine that they will most likely let people into the new content but not progress the main storyline until you complete the old. This includes letting people make the new jobs when they hit 30. For everyone else that has played the game, they will probably quickly realize that you'll have "raid" encounters interspersed with the content to unlock further tiers, as this has been a thing since day one with ARR. What I would hazard to say that they'll do is that they'll take the Ilvel caps off the story progression stuff when Heavensward releases so that if people are having trouble with it, they can outlevel/gear it and then smash it easier.

Then again, this is Square, and with FFXI expansions they really didn't care if players were ready to move into the expansion content hah.
Based on what I've read and I guess information from all the interviews/panels etc, you can't enter Ishguard unless you have the story completed and Ishguard is where everything starts(including the new job npcs).

Which sounds brutal. Imagine someone deciding to play because of the new jobs, means they would have to level something else to 50 and do all the story stuff before unlocking those new jobs. Guess its a "Reward" for completing everything up to that point, considering they start @ 30 and have no base class.

Malkav

French Madman
Just started doing the story quest post-50, and god damn is the beginning (the 2.1 shit) absolutely boring.
Sure hope it gets better.

Mandank_sl

shitlord
I have lurked on these forums for years. I've decided to unlurk just to say how much fun my wife and I are having with this game. She is playing an Arcanist going up to a Scholar (Healer) and I am playing a Marauder going to a Warrior (Tank). I'm not sure if we are doing anything wrong or anything right but we are having fun. In some ways it reminds us of Everquest 2 before it got all bloated and abominable.

skylan_sl

shitlord
I resubbed and I have a rog at 26 and still need to get pug up to 15 to spec ninja. The fate grind is a lot harder now as sometimes there's only 1 or 2 people grinding the fates. Is this the case on all servers ? I'm on Behemoth, it was a very populated server back in the day but i'm not sure of the distribution now.

Kantern

Silver Knight of the Realm
I resubbed and I have a rog at 26 and still need to get pug up to 15 to spec ninja. The fate grind is a lot harder now as sometimes there's only 1 or 2 people grinding the fates. Is this the case on all servers ? I'm on Behemoth, it was a very populated server back in the day but i'm not sure of the distribution now.
Dungeons, leves, guildhest, and hunting log. I didn't do many fates after I came back. Make sure you open up challenge log also for more exp. DPS queue is pretty long, but still wasn't that bad for leveling. Daily Roulettes are huge exp boost.

There are a few leve's that are fastest xp/hour in game until DD grinds (44-50). Camp tranquil is one for I believe 30-35 or 35-40 can't remember. You run around pick up 3 items and finish. The turtles are too slow to interrupt you.

Vithe

Hardcore Casual
I'm playing this game for the first time and I am loving it. Level 11 Conjurer so far. What do I need to do to get a guild invite, or is it for high level only?

Vittra

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I literally just leveled pug to 15 last night, by doing hunting logs and Leve quests. Between leves, I would do whichever Fate spawned in the area and was a good amount of exp. Doing 4 leve quests all together is a level of XP when you're between 1-15

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Nah, FCs can invite level 1 characters, I'm pretty sure. You just need to be in a Grand Company (Level 20+ main story stuff) in order to create one.

skylan_sl

shitlord
Dungeons, leves, guildhest, and hunting log. I didn't do many fates after I came back. Make sure you open up challenge log also for more exp. DPS queue is pretty long, but still wasn't that bad for leveling. Daily Roulettes are huge exp boost.

There are a few leve's that are fastest xp/hour in game until DD grinds (44-50). Camp tranquil is one for I believe 30-35 or 35-40 can't remember. You run around pick up 3 items and finish. The turtles are too slow to interrupt you.
Much appreciated, this will help a ton. I had a feeling I was doing something wrong.

Nehrak_sl

shitlord
Setting the record straight a little:

30-34 leves are at Camp Tranquil and/or Costa del Sol
35-39 leves are at Wineport and/or The Observatorium (Coerthas)
40-44 leves are at Camp Bluefog (North Than*) and/or Whitebrim (Coerthas)
45-49 leves are in Mor Dhona onry

* Some of these will get you attention from the Lv 49 basilisks lurking around, so something to keep in mind. (And I still don't get why the leves pass by these... You'd think the leves would be 45-49 because of that, but nope!)

Malkav

French Madman
* Some of these will get you attention from the Lv 49 basilisks lurking around, so something to keep in mind. (And I still don't get why the leves pass by these... You'd think the leves would be 45-49 because of that, but nope!)
God yeah, I was doing a few there a few days ago, and totally forgot the level of the roaming mobs there. "Oh, there is a basilisk sitting on the leve spot, meh, I'll kill it." Damn near died.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There is a rerolled LS. It's pretty empty usually but might see a pick up the closer it gets to expansion. Can whisper me(Motoko Kusanagi) for invite to LS if I'm on(a lot of afks/tab- outs though).

Not sure about getting invite to ISIS(forum FC) as I left that to join a more active one while I was playing.