Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Haha, I just got slapped by some random because of the guild name.

What did they change ISIS to, anyway? I haven't watched Archer in forever.

Elsebet

Peasant
Yeah but you get what is it, 50% bonus xp for kills or whatever on chars that are lower level than your max, so it goes quite a bit faster. But it's kinda grindy doing FATEs over and over, I didn't mind it too much though, it's not super different than doing the same quests multiple times like in wow or whatever. The daily roulettes are great too, it's 1 level a day for a very small amount of play.
Don't forget the weekly challenge log!
smile.png
Gives big bonuses just for doing stuff you'd normally do like Fates, dungeons, guildhests, leves, etc.

Chopxsticks_sl

shitlord
Where is a good place to read up on the new changes coming with the expansion? Also I want to lvl the new healer class and I read you need to complete the main story, I feel I did that but need to check since its been so looong since I last played

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Where is a good place to read up on the new changes coming with the expansion? Also I want to lvl the new healer class and I read you need to complete the main story, I feel I did that but need to check since its been so looong since I last played
You definitely haven't completed the main story. I mean, you did complete the 2.0 story, but for heavensward you need to complete all the main story, which goes up to 2.5 patch, so there's a lot of stuff after. As for reading about the changes, probably reddit or the official heavensward site or whatever. Gist of it is 3 new classes, 50-60 cap for both combat and crafting/gathering classes, new zones with flying mounts enabled and then a bunch of minor stuff. Typical expansion really, don't think there's anything really crazy compared to normal expansions.

Chopxsticks_sl

shitlord
Ya, I stopped right about the time they released the the first difficulty upgrade for the Primal fights. I have not done any coil, is that required to progress the Story to unlock the new jobs? I might be boned..

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Ya, I stopped right about the time they released the the first difficulty upgrade for the Primal fights. I have not done any coil, is that required to progress the Story to unlock the new jobs? I might be boned..
Oh no, the story is the story, coil is raiding stuff. I mean coil has a story too, but it's separate from the main storyline, it's worth checking out on internet though if you don't plan on doing it, has a bunch of cool cutscenes including a CGI one.

The story keeps going with a bunch of quests, cutscenes and some primal fights. Every patch basically they added a new primal, and there was some story quests that followed up on the events that happened in 2.0 story and also introduced those new primals. So you have to do some primals and some other fights too, eventually leading to how and why you go to Ishgard for the expansion. Unlike WoW older expansions, which were very much "eh we found a new place, let's visit it" when the expansion popped up, it's more like the lastest expansion where you had the Siege of Orgrimmar and shit at the end of Pandaria expansion leading up to the current Warlords of Draenor expansion. Only that unlike wow, they apparently want to force people to do the story before they get access to Heavensward stuff.

It doesn't take that long, but it takes a good amount of time, especially if you don't skip cutscenes. There's also a bit of gear catch up to do, but not much. You probably want to start playing the game though, just doing random shit will be enough for gear and obviously you just follow the story to do that. Takes 10-20hours to complete starting from 2.0 I believe, with the variance depending on how much gearing you do, what class you are(easier to get carried as DPS and stuff), wether or not you watch cutscenes(you can skip a bunch and not miss much but once you reach the Shiva arc you probably want to start watching as it gets quite good) and so on.

Chopxsticks_sl

shitlord
50 WHM, That's cool there are new Primals, I only did the 3 I needed to complete my Thyrus (first stage of the purple weapon). I'd love to do coil Sadly my kids do go to bed until 8ish PST, so its hard to get into static groups.

EDIT: server transfer to Gilgamesh has been finalized!

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
50 WHM, That's cool there are new Primals, I only did the 3 I needed to complete my Thyrus (first stage of the purple weapon). I'd love to do coil Sadly my kids do go to bed until 8ish PST, so its hard to get into static groups.

EDIT: server transfer to Gilgamesh has been finalized!
just hit 50 on my summoner, if you're looking for some company im finishing up the main storyline now, then im gonna start working on the 2.1 shit

bho

Bronze Knight of the Realm
so i am getting through the story and i have ilvl100 gear from a recent catch up session in syrcus tower. what else should i be doing to get ready for heavensward? leveling other classes? Getting crafting/harvesting up?

Nehrak_sl

shitlord
so i am getting through the story and i have ilvl100 gear from a recent catch up session in syrcus tower. what else should i be doing to get ready for heavensward? leveling other classes? Getting crafting/harvesting up?
Aside from getting through the story, the answer to both posts is basically: do whatever you want. But in the interest of being a little pedantic about it, I'll break it down:

If you're interested in Dark Knight:
- Skill Check (Gladiator/Lv34): Flash, Convalescence, Awareness
- Skill Check (Marauder/Lv26): Foresight, Fracture(?), Bloodbath, Mercy Stroke

If you're interested in Astrologian
- Skill Check (Conjurer/Lv34): Aero*, Protect**, Stoneskin
- Skill Check (Thaumaturge/Lv26): Surecast, Blizzard II, Swiftcast

* Aero is likely to be cross-classed over, as SCH has access to it.
** Protect is being adjusted to have the Proshell trait (+magic def.) baseline to the spell.

If you're interested in Machinist:
- Skill Check (Archer/Lv34): Raging Strikes, Hawk's Eye*, Quelling Strikes
- Skill Check (Lancer/Lv34): Feint, Invigorate, Blood for Blood

* A number of jobs requiring Archer to unlock (incl. BLM, SMN) have access to this, therefore Machinist is likely to have access to it and actually use it.

Otherwise:
- Pick what you want to level up to pursue beyond 50 (long ass document with known expansion info, including Lv50+ actionshere)

Me, I'm getting WHM and SCH to 60 ASAP before grinding out AST. I might mix in its levelling along the way too, but finishing 3.0 main scenario is at the top of the list.

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
At this point gear out whatever class you want to advance with. The more gear you have, the easier the first 1-5 levels will be. As far as leve's, unless thee is something you want to level, just ignore them. You get like 6 a day or whatever so if there is something you want to level then burn them earlier rather then later as I would want a full allotment of them for when the expansion hits. They are by far one of the best ways to level.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
is the only way to get soldiery is to run the dungeons? and quests that award them? also seems to come from raids and such, but is there a set of mobs/fates i could grind until im ready to enter the raid zones to farm soldiery?

found this spreadsheet i figured it would help some hereGoogle Sheets - create and edit spreadsheets online, for free.

seems like LoA and ST award the most, but like i said until i can get inside those, is the only way to run the daily roullette and trials, then constantly run dungeons over and over for the 20 tomes?

Also is it worth doing the relic all the way? i heard its gonna cut farming for the new one down by a bit in the expac if its fully max'd or should i just go for the first step of it and call it a day?

People in game are telling me to skip the relic all together and try to farm soldiery/poetic and get a weapon from that.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
Aside from getting through the story, the answer to both posts is basically: do whatever you want. But in the interest of being a little pedantic about it, I'll break it down:

If you're interested in Dark Knight:
- Skill Check (Gladiator/Lv34): Flash, Convalescence, Awareness
- Skill Check (Marauder/Lv26): Foresight, Fracture(?), Bloodbath, Mercy Stroke

If you're interested in Astrologian
- Skill Check (Conjurer/Lv34): Aero*, Protect**, Stoneskin
- Skill Check (Thaumaturge/Lv26): Surecast, Blizzard II, Swiftcast

* Aero is likely to be cross-classed over, as SCH has access to it.
** Protect is being adjusted to have the Proshell trait (+magic def.) baseline to the spell.

If you're interested in Machinist:
- Skill Check (Archer/Lv34): Raging Strikes, Hawk's Eye*, Quelling Strikes
- Skill Check (Lancer/Lv34): Feint, Invigorate, Blood for Blood

* A number of jobs requiring Archer to unlock (incl. BLM, SMN) have access to this, therefore Machinist is likely to have access to it and actually use it.

Otherwise:
- Pick what you want to level up to pursue beyond 50 (long ass document with known expansion info, including Lv50+ actionshere)

Me, I'm getting WHM and SCH to 60 ASAP before grinding out AST. I might mix in its levelling along the way too, but finishing 3.0 main scenario is at the top of the list.
what is AST? but that seems to be the right idea, beam line straight through story quest and hit 60 asap.

Also what are leves ive heard they are great for leveling and i should be stacking them or saving them for the expac for easy levels? anyone wanna give me a simple breakdown.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I don't think Awareness will be useful for DRK, but it will probably be required for WAR.
It'll be equally useful, which is not very much if we consider current content as an example. Unless DRK get their own crit reduction, I don't see why it would be more or less useful, it's a defensive cooldown after all. It is however fairly useless for the most part in the current version, and might stay that way in the expansion, there's really only 2 fights you want to pop awareness on I believe, T11 when tanking the cube(or sphere whichever is the one that crit) and Shiva Bow form.

Based on current content, DRK would have access to, in order of usefulness: Provoke(assuming no class specific provoke), Convalescence, Foresight, Bloodbath. The 5th choice is pretty much crap regardless, I don't think DRK will use Flash due to their reliance on mp and the fact they'll probably have something similar, Mercy Stroke which is really not great without the warrior passive and Awareness, which is super situational. So it'd probably be Mercy Stroke unless the content requires Awareness, with Flash instead of Mercy Stroke if for some reason it happens to be useful to DRK tanking. It's pretty straightforward and for the 4 good ones, you don't need that high levels in subs(34gladiator for awareness, 22 otherwise and 26marauder for mercy stroke, 8 without it). Oh and Fracture might get buffed, though I doubt it.

Since I'm bored, for the 2 other classes:

MCH(MCN?) is Archer/Lancer I believe, which would be Raging Strikes, Blood for Blood, Hawk Eye and Invigorate as high priority, and the 5th is basically a choice between Quelling Strikes(though not sure if necessary like ever) and Keen flurry for these few aoes you can parry. For maximum damage, you will need a dragoon and bard leveled pretty decently since the skills are some of the last acquired(34lancer and 34archer, or 26 if you don't get Quelling).

AST is fairly simple since it's the same as ACN, so Swiftcast/Protect/Cleric Stance and then the rest is mostly crap, probably aero for dot damage and possibly stoneskin for the few times it might be useful. That's medium level stuff overall unless you go for stoneskin(26 thaumaturge and 34conjurer for stoneskin but if you don't bother it's only 8 conjurer).

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Teck: Nothing you can grind outside of dungeons really to get tomestones, unless you enjoy doing beast clan dailies for very tiny rewards. each time you do a level 50 dungeon for the first time you get bonus soldiery on top of what you get for clearing and if you are rouletteing it. You don't need to farm them at all for the most part, simply do them once each as you open and use the soldiery that you get to purchase right side inventory items. You will most likely get a drop or two from doing those for the left side, so just upgrade as you need it. Also, if you haven't, you need to complete the entirety of the main storyline quests, which will start requiring you to do progressively higher stuff that will also reward soldiery tokens. This also opens up other content and dungeons that will further increase your soldiery. Basically, just keep doing the highest content that it will let you one at a time, and use the tokens you get from them to upgrade gear on the right side first, because left side drops way more often.

Alternatively, look on the AH and just buy the cheapest upgrades to push yourself up as you can. When you can run ST, you'll get chances at tomestones to get a weapon from soldiery, which when you get one, just keep doing what I said before until you have the required soldiery and turn it in. Skip relic.

AST = Astrologian, the new healer for the xpac.