Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Basically it goes like this:
- Pre-level 50 storyline is OK, but slow and feels like the after thought it was while they rebuilt the entire game from scratch after the disaster of the first version.
- 2.1 - 2.4 storyline is much better than the pre-level 50 storyline but still has a lot of rough spots.
- 2.4+ the storyline is much better, has less filler, and the characters are more engaging (especially after 2.55...).
Agree with all this. The storyline through 2.1 is almost pure filler. Then it still is filler heavy through 2.1-2.4 but things start picking up, but after 2.4 it gets a lot better.

Just understand that everything 2.0 was built in about 2 years on the backs of the failed previous version of the game, so that's why its grindy, with a lot of fed ex bullshit filler quests.

Stick to the storyline quests, grind as much in the quest hubs as you can, then fill in the rest with fates, dungeons and levequests until you start to reach 35 ish and can get to the core classes like White Mage and whatnot. Then just push as hard as you can for 50 and start working towards Heavensward. It does get better, but you need to give it some time to grow on you.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Appreciate the feedback. To get a little more specific, how is the endgame? It's not blow through easy is it? Also, would you guys say the game is better (in your personal opinion) than current WoW?

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Gonna have to let someone else speak on that, because I haven't seen the current end game, and the older content has been nerfed to facilitate storyline progression into the expansion, and I haven't played WoW since 2009 or so.

End game raids are only 8 people though, so I imagine it can't be that challenging, necessarily.

Anomander Rake

Golden Knight of the Realm
So, I am looking to get back into this. I had a lvl 34 toon on Marlboro from launch, but would rather reroll. It looks like Gilgamesh isn't accepting new players. Any other servers that you guys are on? Or is there a time I should try to get into Gilgamesh?

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
You have to try and create a character during non peak hours to get on Gilgamesh.

Updates on character creation restrictions are found here

Regarding Character Creation Restrictions | FINAL FANTASY XIV, The Lodestone

This information will be updated at the following intervals:
4:00 a.m./ 8:00 a.m./ 1:00 p.m./ 6:00 p.m./ 11:00 p.m. (PDT)
You can also make a character on another server and transfer, but that costs maybe 10 or 15 bucks I don't really know. That's found in the Mogstation.

Best bet is like early mornings, and right after a maintanence I believe.

I dunno who is on other servers. I'm sure there's a few.

Try like early early morning 12-3 or 4 am Pacific time would probably be your best bet I imagine.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
No problemo. Good luck. Its hard to get on Gilgamesh during day/prime time hours, but it is possible.

And if you make it on, I'm sure Krip's guild Fat Chocobo would welcome you with open arms. They're pretty cool bros. I like em.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
You can also make a character on another server and transfer, but that costs maybe 10 or 15 bucks I don't really know. That's found in the Mogstation.
I would absolutely recommend this, just pony up the $18 and transfer over. Even if you don't like the class you leveled up, you'll get a 50% (100%?) EXP bonus for any lower level classes that you level on your main.

And Fat Chocobo would love to have you if you need an FC. =)

Anomander Rake

So I was able to get right in with the server transfer - in game name is Anomander Erikson. Would love a FC invite Kriptini!

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Appreciate the feedback. To get a little more specific, how is the endgame? It's not blow through easy is it? Also, would you guys say the game is better (in your personal opinion) than current WoW?
Endgame is, as far as I know, easier than the hardest wow setting stuff(heroic? I honestly don't fucking know what they call it nowadays), but it's still sufficiently hard that for most people outside the really hardcore players, it's a nice challenge. Wether or not it's better than wow I guess depends on your expectations. The advantage over wow tends to be new content. However since they split the hard endgame and the casual endgame raids, you only really have a new hard raid every 6months(with a casual 24man raid inbetween, so new content every 3months). At the end of a cycle though, it's fairly similar to wow for "harcore" endgame, you end up with like 3 dungeons for 8man hard difficulty and 3 for 24man casual stuff but if all you're interested in is the hardcore stuff, it doesn't change much over wow. There's still a lot of side content added constantly though, like you'll farm your weekly badges to buy yourself raiding equivalent gear in new dungeons every 3months, and the 24man is a nice relaxing farm to gear alts or for glamour, plus other side content they add from time to time like Triple Triad.

Because of the slow content cycles in wow, there's time to play both mmos really and figure out if you prefer one over the other or dislike one or whatever.

I like XIV cause there's always stuff to do on your char. Since they have like 1 char = all classes, it makes sense to level up everything and gear up everything and so on, while in wow alts were a pain in the ass with the attunements(though they removed those mostly I assume) and the rep grinds and all that shit, had to redo it on every char so having more than one alt was unrealistic most of the time, but in XIV you can play like 6classes if you want and while gearing might not be optimal, there's some overlap between similar classes(all tanks use the same armor, all healers etc). It adds artificial longevity to the game, I would have gotten bored a lot earlier if it used the traditional character system cause I wouldn't have bothered leveling every class to cap and trying them out.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
So I was able to get right in with the server transfer - in game name is Anomander Erikson. Would love a FC invite Kriptini!
His in game name is Krip Tini. My in game name is Lawlz Lawllerz. I can't invite to the guild because I'm a scrub newb, but I can probably get you in contact with Gentle Giant or someone who can invite. Just add me as a friend in game. I'll be on in an hour or so prolly. Gonna make breakfast first.

Anomander Rake

Kriptini got me in late last night
smile.png

Cathex_sl

shitlord
Party finder BisEx is quite depressing. I can't imagine RavEx. End game content without a static is a dissatisfying proposition.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
My god the drop rate for Chimera Mane is terrible.
Yeah, Chimera Mane is AIDS. Luckily, (on Gilgamesh, at least), Chimera Felt is going pretty cheap; about 16k per bolt.

Cockatrice Thigh also seems to have a drop rate that is abysmally low for whatever reason.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Almost every new materials has shit droprates for whatever reason. On top of that, every fucking combine takes like 5 of them(a few "only" take 3). And then the actual final items take 2 or 3 of the combined materials, it fucking sucks.

On the other hand, I don't really care since I had a bunch of money saved up. I'm still down like 10millions, most of which was fucking alchemy desynth, which I hope one day is actually worth it but for now is a huge waste of money. But it's not so bad considering I have every crafter capped besides fucking armorer and a decent stock of most materials(like 30-80 of every leather/cloth/lumber/ingots/nuggets).

I could easily make the 10millions back in a few days, if I could muster the will to actually spend time trying to make money. Like I've seen several things selling for way more than the mats price, but I can't be assed spending 30mins crafting every day anymore, so instead I'm just leveling crafting so I can never craft. I still haven't done my tools.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Hunting retainers are a godsend. My Rogue retainer is level 57 and can collect most things I need. Looking forward to see what else I can have her gather when she hits 60.

My mining retainer, on the other hand, is worthless. I think someone in this thread may have already said it, but mining/logging retainers can't gather hidden items, so that means no faster mythrite or titanium. =(