Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Vilgan_sl

shitlord
Subbed to this a few weeks ago for the first time since 2 months after ARR hit (enjoyed it then, just burned out on Fate grinding in the upper 40s). Game was fairly good/enjoyable, storyline got a bit boring in 2.1 and 2.2, then man... shit just took off in 2nd half of 2.3 and beyond. 2.4, 2.5, 2.55, and all of Heavensward are fucking awesome. I haven't started 3.1 yet since I need to be less distracted by FFXIV for a bit, but really really impressed. I only get sucked in by a game every 1-2 years and never expected to get sucked in by an MMO story. 2 thumbs up!

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
I recently did the same thing. I very much enjoyed catching up, the MQ, the side quests, and all the new dungeons and leveling to 60, but now I'm at a boring wall which has killed all motivation to play. Maybe I am missing something obvious, but the end-game just doesn't do it for me. I'll go from i210 gear to what to i230 gear...wooooooo(basically just more +better crap, nothing unique).

Plus the grind is just boring. In order to get the final epic weapon I need to farm like 20k tomes, which you basically get by doing the daily dungeons(there are other ways but this is the most common). Or you rerun the same few raids/instances over and over.

Not bitching about the game, but I just think it's most fun at low levels, alts, etc. The end game is kind of weak in my opinion. And while the raid complexity is fairly neat and fun, generally creative. It becomes memorization basically. I wish there were a touch more randomness to it.

The lower game though is one of the best in my opinion.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
I agree that the best part of the game is catching up after not having played for a while. When I keep up with the current content I burn out pretty fast

Harkon

Vyemm Raider
I haven't played since finishing up the 3.0 release content, I think 3.3 is coming out soon?

I figure once it's released there should be enough new content to come back in for a jaunt without hitting the grind wall too soon.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
If I haven't played since Coil 1-5 and want to do the story and look around are there any update guides?

Valechec_sl

shitlord
They ever fix dragoons skill bullshit?
If you mean jump lock, it's not nearly as bad as it used to be. Can still get you killed if you do it at the wrong time, of course. Regular jump has about 1s as you bounce around where you can't actively move. The other two you can start moving as soon as you land.

Malakriss

I'm not sure where Coil 1-5 was in the timeline but as somebody who started playing a month ago I found this guide to be pretty helpful.
Guide to Catching up to Patch 3.0 (Heavensward) : ffxiv
Thanks, got the expansion for 50% off with the actual box so waiting for that to show up before I start doing all the story I missed. Guess it was 2.1 or the very start of 2.2 that I left, probably once I saw the reset treadmill in action.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
If you mean jump lock, it's not nearly as bad as it used to be. Can still get you killed if you do it at the wrong time, of course. Regular jump has about 1s as you bounce around where you can't actively move. The other two you can start moving as soon as you land.
nah the whole wheeling thrust thing needing to be on the back or side but not knowing which until the skill pops

opther than that how exciting for another ilvl increase of "of maiming", "of healing", "of casting" etc gear. I wonder if they are ever gonna fix that mess too.

Harkon

Vyemm Raider
Gotta admit that update vid made me reconsider playing again.
Yea, I 've resubbed to this game 3 times played for a month or 2 and unsubbed. Ill probably keep resubbing every so often as long as they keep dropping decent content.

Generally unsubbed once I got to the old school grind ass portions to get 10% betterer.

Always felt like I got value for my money however.

Malakriss

Only letting me download the game at ~4.4MB/s, although once the first round of updating blazed through my SSD it dropped the approximate time from 190 to 125.

Malakriss

I'm doing the daily stuff at Gold Saucer and have caught up to Heavensward, should I worry about unlocking anything else that is important or continue leveling to 60 through the MSQ?