Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I dunno maybe I'm just spoiled but more inventory space never felt like such a mountain to climb for the devs in other MMO's i've played over the years. Or maybe this game is just coded that wonky, who knows.
WoW has been talking about how hard it would be to code the default bag for years.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
WoW has been talking about how hard it would be to code the default bag for years.

Yeah I guess it comes down to the situation - with WoW specifically, at the rate in which they kept giving us more and more bags every expansion with higher slots I didn't think inventory space was that big of a deal to code, oh well.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Yeah I guess it comes down to the situation - with WoW specifically, at the rate in which they kept giving us more and more bags every expansion with higher slots I didn't think inventory space was that big of a deal to code, oh well.
You are correct, it was the default internal backpack that was the issue. Doesn't FF14 suffer from an initial bag problem as well?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
FFXIV is coded over the remnants of the shitfest that was 1.0, so it wouldn't be too surprising if increasing inventory size was a mess due to how items are saved on the server or whatever, who knows really.

I assume they also err on the safe side cause if they fuck up some shit and end up having to rollback and do 24hours maintenances and shit like that, it's just really bad for the image. Especially if it happens during the new expansion release.

Unrelated but I'm probably going to reactivate with the current promotion shit. Is there a dungeon/trial for the last story bit? Last time I played it was Baelthar wall or whatever the fuck, I cleared that so there's only the most recent story stuff left, just want to do it so I don't run into random spoilers or whatever but want to know if I need to prepare some time or if it's just gonna be cutscenes and shit.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
You are correct, it was the default internal backpack that was the issue. Doesn't FF14 suffer from an initial bag problem as well?

It's all one bag in FFXIV (no separate containers), so I guess you could say our entire inventory is probably suffering from a similar default internal backpack problem WoW was having. I'm willing to bet the entire system coding is a mess job akin to what Pyros said, from 1.0. When asked if we could ever get a Glamour UI that saves all of the glamour we've ever collected into one database for us to pick and choose at will, similar to what WoW/Diablo 3 has now, Yoshi said it would require building the entire system for the Glamour UI from scratch based on how the items were coded/stored in the system currently, (ie, don't expect something like that any time soon, maybe 5.0).

Pyros Pyros - There's a bit more MSQ after you unlock/beat Baelsar's wall for the first time. Mostly running around/cutscenes but there was one solo Duty that you gotta do (which is pretty quick). Prolly take you only a half hour to knock out.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Realistically, you have a ton of bag room in FFXIV. 425 non-equipped slots as a level 1 character is a lot. There's just no real way to increase your carry around inventory, so if you do every job and craft, you end up with full bags all the time. I think the most you can have in WoW is like... 150? Or something similar. So there's definitely a lot more being shuffled around, especially with Glamours and Materia etc.

Granted, I've definitely found my zone loading times to be way more medium dependent, ie if I'm installed on a SSD or a regular HDD, so the network overhead can't really be that massive overall. If the time to get information from the server doubled, I wouldn't really care that much.

I'd tend to agree it is the bones of 1.0 most likely as the culprit.

Malkav

French Madman
I had forgotten the joys of the Duty Roulette.

Trial roulette yesterday : Titan HM. Both tanks got hit by the same fucking landslide 20% into the fight. Come on....

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
My buddy told me that they're removing cross class skills in the expansion? I was leveling my BRD to get Quelling Strikes for my BLM (I know I'm turrible), and he said not to bother because it won't matter come expansion. Is that true?

I've finally gotten everything unlocked and completed, from MSQ, Sky Pirates, to the Warring Triad. Haven't beaten the primals on Extreme yet, except Bismark, but I intend to try and farm up all the birds before expansion hits. I don't remember how long it took for me to farm all the ponies at the end of ARR, but I think this is roughly the time I got into the game (a few months before expansion) last time.

Oops, just occurred to me, I haven't made any progress in Alexander 5-12 yet. Still need to do that. Not going to bother trying to do savage there, but I do want to unlock that whole dungeon as well.

Working on getting PLD to 60 currently. I want to go into the expansion with dps, healer and tank at max level. I've already got BLM and AST, so just need to finish up PLD and I'll be ready. I'm pretty excited about this expansion. Can't wait!

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I've heard rumors about the cross class skills but I haven't seen anything concrete yet. With PotD it takes like 2 hours to get quelling strikes. That place is legit amazing.

dvoraen

Lord Nagafen Raider
What they're doing with cross-class is, as of the last definitive comment, was gathering them all up and dividing them up as "additional role" actions. So something like Quelling Strikes, for example, will go from <job list here> to "DPS". There was some mention of Berserk becoming a Tank action, to name another example.

We should be finding out more, if not a full list, sometime this month. (As well as what everyone is getting for 60+ actions/revamp.)

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I'll come back if they fix the stupid DRG gameplay they fucked up with Heavensword.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
I'll come back if they fix the stupid DRG gameplay they fucked up with Heavensword.

To this day I can't believe they made Fang & Claw and Wheeling Thrust random. The E3 demo three days before the expansion released had them tied to specific combos.

bho

Bronze Knight of the Realm
i started this back up in preparation for stormblood. have sch/smn/blm/whm around i265 working through a11s/a12s now....in duty finder =/. Looking for a FC that is semi-hardcore...anyone have any recommendations? Gilgamesh

Ark

Trakanon Raider
i started this back up in preparation for stormblood. have sch/smn/blm/whm around i265 working through a11s/a12s now....in duty finder =/. Looking for a FC that is semi-hardcore...anyone have any recommendations? Gilgamesh
Death and Taxes has some non poopsocking statics and things are slower atm in preparation for the expansion.

Heallun

Lord Nagafen Raider

Bard, man. Wanderer's Minuet was sacrilege to the mobility gods. Now you're left hitting 1 thing between gcd's and rushing to do even that. Bard was so chill before.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Bard was always the class you could tell the shitty people to play and do well. None of the classes now can perform well with a shitty player which I think is a huge mistake. You always need one class to be a one button warrior.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I started playing this again this weekend.

I had a Ninja that I played in Heavensward, but never finished it...stopped midway around 55 for non-game related reason.

I also have a Scholar that I played with a friend who was 50, and was only done with the original game main story.

I decided to stick with the Scholar, enjoyed it more than the Ninja. So I'm doing all the main story leading to Heavensward, she's almost there now, and almost level 52.

I always forget how nice this game is, so polished...and they fixed one of the thing I found most annoying before...you can queue for Duty Finder with your chocobo out now. What a fucking nice quality of life improvement.

Anything I should do beside level to 60 and do all the main story quests? Not really looking to grind weapon/armor since Stormblood will most likely replace everything as all expansion do.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You will hit points where you need to level to do the MSQ. When this happens, go get the rest of that level in Palace of the Dead. Palace of the Dead quest starts in Grindania south of the Aetheryte. Once you get your PotD armor and weapon up to 90/90 you can turn them in for a high ilvl weapon which will help you get through the ilvl requirement for MSQ's faster. The other things that will help you once you are 60, is to go to Sea of Clouds and pick up the pirate quests. They are the new "Crystal Tower" and all loot restrictions have been lifted. There are three tiers to the new CT.