Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Cybsled

They had a 30% off sale for level and story skip items going, not sure if it is over.

If people have been keeping up with the Doma reconstruction, the budget and bonus get boosted once you donate 20k worth of shit this week and unlock the school (budget goes to 25k and donation bonus is 200%)

Argarth

On the verandah
Just been watching a Savage raid on Twitch. Ouch That shit looks pretty intense.

edit: not suggesting I'd ever get that far, but couldn't see my ping cutting the mustard in such a hectic dance :D:D. Looks like a ton of fun though, and the talk seems pretty chill.

Last edited:

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Thanks for the tips.

Yeah agreed, we'll never see servers in Australia. Mind you, when I last played in 2014, the ping from here was wildly unstable and would frequently swing upwards to ~700 or even ~900 sometimes. That no longer seem to be the case, but it's still pretty noticeable.

To be honest, I'm mostly considering it again because Blizzard is really pissing me off right now. Another thing holding me back is catching up. Would need to pony up for the xpac(s) + at least one lvl60 boost & MSQ potion. I just couldn't bear the slog through ARR again from scratch. Not sure if i want to throw that much cash at a 250ms ping. Ah well, decisions!
Welcome to the other side of the fence. Fuck blizzard lately

I bought the ARR MSQ skip and am just dungeon levelling. Only playing an hour a night and I'm at 39 now. It's not that bad honestly.

Argarth

On the verandah
Welcome to the other side of the fence. Fuck blizzard lately

I bought the ARR MSQ skip and am just dungeon levelling. Only playing an hour a night and I'm at 39 now. It's not that bad honestly.

I think I'm probably going to jump back in anyway. It's been 4 years, so must be a ton of new stuff to see. Definitely be doing the boost though, hang the expense. Probably a Warrior, and then intend to level at least one other tank, and then a DPS. (get bonus xp on alt jobs from the boosted character)

You are leveling a tank I see from the post above? Have you tried the Endless Dungeon or the Dungeon w/Bots yet, for leveling?

Neuad

Trakanon Raider
Been farming Suzako for my BLM weapon, can't wait to step into Savage on Friday with my half static. New fights have been a lot of fun so far, I'm really glad normal isn't just a faceroll like it was last tier. Plus BLM buffs are always good.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Thanks for the tips.

Yeah agreed, we'll never see servers in Australia. Mind you, when I last played in 2014, the ping from here was wildly unstable and would frequently swing upwards to ~700 or even ~900 sometimes. That no longer seem to be the case, but it's still pretty noticeable.

To be honest, I'm mostly considering it again because Blizzard is really pissing me off right now. Another thing holding me back is catching up. Would need to pony up for the xpac(s) + at least one lvl60 boost & MSQ potion. I just couldn't bear the slog through ARR again from scratch. Not sure if i want to throw that much cash at a 250ms ping. Ah well, decisions!
Mostly need the MSQ pot really to skip ARR if you've done it already. Leveling is actually pretty fast, don't know the situation on the server you picked or if there's still any left for the US datacenters but they have Preferred servers you can pick(list is on the Lodestone webpage) that give double xp until 60 to everything(even crafting/gathering) and that doubles other normal ingame bonuses, so shit goes really fast, plus you also get some gold and some subtime(15days) if you reach lvl 30 if that's still going.

But running leveling roulette+dungeons/PotD/squad missions with the first time GC log bonuses and shit like that, I'd expect it takes maybe 10-12hours of gameplay to get to 50, which is fairly reasonable. At that point you can unlock every classes too if you planned on playing one that's not available at the start, the HW one will require relvling but the SB ones would unlock at 50 right away.

Also you have to buy Stormblood only. They do it differently than Blizzard which has all expansions but the last one rolled into the base game, probably because it's still early and they only have 2 expansions, but buying SB gives you HW too. There's sales all the damn time for SB too. That or if you're starting fresh, you can buy the complete edition which has base game+expansions.

Couldn't you just play your old account though? Saves you some leveling/questing, just need the expansion, can just pick another class if you want to restart.

Argarth

On the verandah
Mostly need the MSQ pot really to skip ARR if you've done it already. Leveling is actually pretty fast, don't know the situation on the server you picked or if there's still any left for the US datacenters but they have Preferred servers you can pick(list is on the Lodestone webpage) that give double xp until 60 to everything(even crafting/gathering) and that doubles other normal ingame bonuses, so shit goes really fast, plus you also get some gold and some subtime(15days) if you reach lvl 30 if that's still going.

But running leveling roulette+dungeons/PotD/squad missions with the first time GC log bonuses and shit like that, I'd expect it takes maybe 10-12hours of gameplay to get to 50, which is fairly reasonable. At that point you can unlock every classes too if you planned on playing one that's not available at the start, the HW one will require relvling but the SB ones would unlock at 50 right away.

Also you have to buy Stormblood only. They do it differently than Blizzard which has all expansions but the last one rolled into the base game, probably because it's still early and they only have 2 expansions, but buying SB gives you HW too. There's sales all the damn time for SB too. That or if you're starting fresh, you can buy the complete edition which has base game+expansions.

Couldn't you just play your old account though? Saves you some leveling/questing, just need the expansion, can just pick another class if you want to restart.

Yes I will be re-upping my old account, but the character was on the wrong server for the Oceanic FC I want to join. Highest job was only in mid 40s, and one I've no interest in playing again, so no great loss. Saw the gold star for Preferred server on the login screen. Unfortunately my preferred (Behemoth) was not one of them. Not sure how they are selected, but I guess it would be population based.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Pyros Pyros blizzard does that now too, you only need to buy the latest expansion

Argarth Argarth I've done potd but not the squadron stuff. Not even sure how to do that?
I know you only need to buy an expansion, but it's still different as I explained. In WoW, you own every expansion with the basegame, like up to Legion currently, and you only buy the last expansion to have everything. But in XIV, you only own vanilla with the base game, up to 2.5. You have to buy Stormblood to also get Heavensward. They split it differently, because there's not as many expansion for now I'd assume, so it makes little sense for them to give all of heavensward to everyone, but later down the road maybe. So for now you're capped at 50 with vanilla, while in wow you're capped at whatever legion goes up to.

Yes I will be re-upping my old account, but the character was on the wrong server for the Oceanic FC I want to join. Highest job was only in mid 40s, and one I've no interest in playing again, so no great loss. Saw the gold star for Preferred server on the login screen. Unfortunately my preferred (Behemoth) was not one of them. Not sure how they are selected, but I guess it would be population based.
Yeah preferred is just lower pop servers, to fill them up, then they rotate to keep every server decently filled. If you do want to join a specific FC I guess it's not a possibility, you can do cross server stuff nowadays but I think FCs are still server specific, can only use linkshells cross servers and like dungeon finder and what not.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I haven't done them cause I haven't played since they added them besides a couple of days to catchup the story only. But they're part of your squadron, which you unlock as you advance your rank with your GC. I don't think you can advance nearly fast enough to unlock them for leveling purposes, not for the first character.

Squadron is a bit like the wow thing where you send some NPCs on missions and they bring back shit, I think they added these in wow at least I haven't played since wotlk. One of the more recent additions is letting these characters also come with you on dungeon runs instead of real players, they have busted stats and shit but you can only do specific dungeons with them.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah tank queues vary from instant to 30secs depending on the content you do, and generally for old content, shit's super easy since a lot of people have ran the content hundred of times.

Because of the roulettes and how efficient they are for xp, people are always running old content so it's generally not hard to just chain all the old content in a row too which is great for coming back since there's like 60dungeons total or something stupid.

Healer generally is 30secs to 5mins or so, sometimes longer. DPS is like 10 to 20mins, sometimes longer for more obscure content, although since they added raid roulettes I guess it isn't as bad anymore.

Cybsled

Squadron is unlocked by maxing out your GC rank via the various GC seal and hunt log quests. Eventually they say you get a squad now and open up the barracks. You recruit npc and level them/etc by sending them on missions. Eventually they upgrade your rank and you can lead command missions, which lets you run dungeons with 3 npcs. You get a “pet” bar with General orders. You can also adjust the glamour on your npcs if you like.

Downside is the npcs sometimes like to stand in the fire, so you have to babysit them command wis for a few fights.

• 1Like

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
DPS queues are fine if you time them along with other dailies like beast tribes and hunting logs.

As a DPS, my leveling day goes like this:

Queue up for a leveling roulette
-do daily beast tribes
-hunt my hunting log marks
Get my dungeon and finish it
Queue up for another relevant roulette (50/60/msq/alliance/trial)
-finish off anything I hadn't done earlier
-level up miner or something

I find that grouping it efficiently like that keeps you leveling up and constantly doing stuff, earning currency/beast tribe exp whilst waiting for the leveling roulette. The daily beast tribe quests (60 and 70 specifically) are really fast and give really good exp, as well as giving unique mounts, minions and glamours when you level them up. Hunting marks are easy too with This tool and they give you currency you can exchange for decent gear.

So yeah, make sure you do those other things and you'll find it easy to level up 50-70.

• 1Like