Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
I think it's Yoshi trolling everyone heh wouldn't be the first time. Just waiting for release now, everything done and all grinded out..

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I don't know if it's a spoiler. Considering the narrator, it could be a lie.
I don't see much of a point to him lying about that.
And it follows what they've been putting together. It doesn't mean all that much though in the end, it's a big reveal and all but it doesn't really change the story so far, just explains a few things like the Tempering bit with the Echo, although this could have easily been explained by just making the Echo a special power anyway and why Hydaelin seems weakened, probably because of the lack of Aether which was illustrated in SB MSQ at a few points(Y'shtola noting issues in Azim Steppes similar to The Burn and the bit with Matoya).

What seemed interesting is while the story takes place in the First and all, we're still interacting with Solus. It's unclear wether this discussion happens at the very end of the MSQ as a big final reveal(kinda shit they spoiled it then), or if it actually happens early on. It could be we meet with Solus before leaving for the First to get some answers directly from Hydaelin via Minfillia and as such the spoiler here isn't a big deal. I believe they mentionned there was a dungeon at 70 this time or some shit, so it could be some content on the Source before we leave for the First and then the whole reveal wouldn't be that bad at all, just spoiling the "intro" of ShB.

Guess we'll see.

Desgin of stuff looked fucking great though, monsters and places, so refreshing. I'm glad we're leaving "brown desert" and "fake Japan" behind, there were a few nice places but overall SB felt very uninspired and more like a checklist thing where we had to free them because they talked about them a while back, and the places weren't that great other than Azim Steppes and Yanxia.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Oh apparently the intro guy saying "It's been 100years since we've seen a dark knight" actually says dark night based on the french/german translation, so it's not class related at all lol. Was wondering how they'd do class specific stuff with voice acting since they're kinda stingy on voice acting already but guess that's the easy answer.

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
I got to level 25 on my pugilist yesterday, and yeah I am 100% hooked on FFXIV now. I uninstalled EverQuest, and said fuck that shit.

I noticed that the leveling seemed to slow down after the first 20 levels. It's no biggie, I don't mind grinding... I mean I played EverQuest for almost two decades, so I can grind with the best of them.

I was just wondering if the game gets more and more slower on leveling as you get higher, or if I am just skipping too many side quests? For the most part, I have been doing the main story line quests and my class quests. I sprinkle in a "learn to do this" quest every now and then, but for the most part, I have avoided a ton of the side quests.

Also, I have to say that I freaking love the pugilist class. Super fun class.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Just do every blue quest even it's a side quest and you should be okay. Dont worry about the regular quests. Once you get into Heavensward the questing gets much better cause of the storyline.

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
Just do every blue quest even it's a side quest and you should be okay. Dont worry about the regular quests. Once you get into Heavensward the questing gets much better cause of the storyline.
Speaking of that... how do I know when I have crossed over in to the Heavensward content? I got the expansion free here recently when Square was giving it away, but i know nothing about it personally.

Will it be a natural progression of the main story line from the original game in to Heavensward, or will it be like the stupid shit they do in games like EverQuest 2 where you have to track down some npc to start that content?

Cybsled

You’ll know. Without spoiling much, the MSQ brings you there because of stuff that happens and you’ll literally get a title that introduces the expansion like a movie.

Kantern

Silver Knight of the Realm
Speaking of that... how do I know when I have crossed over in to the Heavensward content? I got the expansion free here recently when Square was giving it away, but i know nothing about it personally.

Will it be a natural progression of the main story line from the original game in to Heavensward, or will it be like the stupid shit they do in games like EverQuest 2 where you have to track down some npc to start that content?

There's is a UI element that shows you if there's is a new quest for main story available. I believe default setting is it is hidden when you catch up to patch content and shows when quests are available.

The MSQ is natural. You will not need to seek it out.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>

It just chains. If you catch up, it'll stop and when a new patch is released, you have to figure out where the NPC was when you last turned in a quest, but as long as you're doing content, it basically chains one after the other without interuption. If at any point you're lost, there's the Scenario Guide thing in the top left that tells you where to go next(as well as your class quests location, do these too, they give gear AND skills). But since each expansion simply continues the MSQ before it, there's no looking around for a NPC to start the new arc, it literally just keeps going, expansions aren't self contained, they're all part of the main story, just different arcs of it.

As for Heavensward, you'll know when you're in HW content because the very first quest is literally "get to fucking Ishgard bro", so once you go to Ishgard, that's when Heavensward starts. Well technically it's when you talk to the NPC right before that, but same thing.

Also all the quest sounds(taking or turning in quests) are different based on the expansion. And after doing hundreds of ARR quests, you'll very obviously notice when you pick up the first HW quest and it has a fancy new sound fanfare and on screen effect.

Mind you, if you're 25, you're REALLY far from HW. Take your time and all but yeah, you shouldn't expect to get there soon, this game has a shit ton of story, it's like 25-30hours for the ARR MSQ and then another 15-20 for the post ARR leading to HW. Then HW and SB are basically about 20hours each for the main MSQ and 12-15h for the post MSQ in each. And that doesn't even scratch the amount of side content.

• 1Like

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider

It's a natural progression from 2.48 to 3.0 or whatever the MSQ patches are. Same way that 3.48 will breadcrumb you into 4.0.

The new expansion starts after you've completed the 2.x storyline. If you're watching cutscenes and reading the dialogue, you can't miss it. If you notice your surroundings at all, you can't miss (for HW, for example) ending up in The North in brand new area/setting/theme.

• 1Like

bho

Bronze Knight of the Realm
any FCs or statics looking for a whm? would like to get into a decent medium-core group for savage in shadowbringers.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm on Sargatanas now; though I am not a big raider type guy. WHM main and mostly just playing the story and doing crafting/gathering etc.

Currently I run a FC of 8 players who haven't logged on in several years, haw.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Fuck it some guy pumped me up to make my own raid group. Join me if you ain't a tranny loving bitch. I have a proven track record of leading a guild and then going out for cigarette and milk

Nola

Trakanon Raider
I'm on Sargatanas now; though I am not a big raider type guy. WHM main and mostly just playing the story and doing crafting/gathering etc.

Currently I run a FC of 8 players who haven't logged on in several years, haw.
Players are starting to log back in my FC. If you are looking for another FC your welcome to ours. We are gonna keep our ranks smaller, not gonna be one of those super FC. We are also on Sargatanas.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, but it can be hard to do as I believe they lock servers with high pop, but I dunno if that changed. Last time I did it, transfers were $18?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yes

Hit 64 last night. Basically just doing MSQ and then when it runs dry I spam a couple dungeons to hit my level.

Question is - in doing this will I miss anything major along the way? I unlocked the level 63 dungeon so I had something extra to do, but it made me think maybe I might be missing things. Should I try to do the blue quests I find along the way, or is there a good curated list?

I'm not looking to be a completionist, just want to be ready for ShB

Last edited: