Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah I’ve been going the Limsa route ever since, thanks!

Level 57 white mage now, the 70% new player bonus plus the silly XP you get from the MSQ roulette has helped. Now to get sixty and the poetics for that gear and push on through.

Last edited:

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
Recipe search using materials in inventory might be amazing. I hold onto so much crap and wonder if I can make anything valuable out of it.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Faggotry
Reactions: 2 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Recipe search using materials in inventory might be amazing. I hold onto so much crap and wonder if I can make anything valuable out of it.

Seriously. I use garlandtools.org, but having an in-game version will be awesome.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm

That's all my bags are. Probably the biggest drawback to having all your classes and trades on one character.

Mr. K

Molten Core Raider
So my Dragoon is 46 now. Then I think I'm going to try Samurai. I've basically only done MSQ and Blue Quests. For my second job do I just do the Side Quests since I skipped most of them?

Cybsled

Samurai starts at 50, but you need 1 class at 50 to start that job.

You could do side quests on alt jobs if you want, or just slam those daily roulettes for the giant XP bonuses.

Mr. K

Molten Core Raider
Samurai starts at 50, but you need 1 class at 50 to start that job.

You could do side quests on alt jobs if you want, or just slam those daily roulettes for the giant XP bonuses.

Yeah trying to get 50 on my Dragoon this weekend.

What are daily roulettes?

dvoraen

Lord Nagafen Raider

Daily roulettes refers to the Duty Roulette option in the Duty Finder. Every day you can queue for any and all of them (that are unlocked*). For sub-50 characters, that's likely only Duty Roulette: Leveling, Guildhests, and Frontline (PVP). Leveling gives a lot of xp so it should carry you to 50 fairly quickly. Then, you can start work on unlocking Alliance Raid Roulette (which gives more xp than Leveling roulette) after finishing the MSQ, and so on.

* Roulettes require a certain number and/or specific duties completed to unlock.

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot

Pretty much what Dvoraen said,

Roulettes are the equivalent to the wow random dungeon you could do once a day for whatever the expansion currency was. Except FF14 has multiple and they encompass every dungeon/expansion depending on the roulette because they were smart to make you be able to scale down to the appropriate level to still get exp benefits etc. But useful for leveling main job and secondary jobs.

If you're on a preferred server and make sure to do your roulettes while doing MSQ, you'll be 80 before you even touch Shadowbringers. I think I may have been 80 before I started or got half way through Stormblood when I did that.

• 1Faggotry
Reactions: 1 user

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
These quests from 70 to 80 are as painful as ever. Run across the zone to click on something, fight a mob that spawns, run all the way back. Pick up some aetheryte and then when you're just about done with the zone you get the quests to unlock flight in the zone. Rinse repeat.

They've been using this kind of mechanic since FFXI.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
These quests from 70 to 80 are as painful as ever. Run across the zone to click on something, fight a mob that spawns, run all the way back. Pick up some aetheryte and then when you're just about done with the zone you get the quests to unlock flight in the zone. Rinse repeat.

They've been using this kind of mechanic since FFXI.
Find someone to fly you around ^^.

Daidraco

I mean, at least you can fly in the zone as soon as you finish it. You have to wait 6 months to a year and a half to fly in any expac zone in WoW. Basically, it could be way worse. I really enjoyed the newest expac though.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I mean, at least you can fly in the zone as soon as you finish it. You have to wait 6 months to a year and a half to fly in any expac zone in WoW. Basically, it could be way worse. I really enjoyed the newest expac though.
Yeah, it just sucks that by the time you're basically able to fly in a zone, you really don't have a reason to go back to it(unless you're a crafter). Especially without needing to level up multiple "characters" along the same zone routes.

Cybsled

Usually the MSQ patch updates create new reasons, so no reason not to. By the time you beat a zone first time around, you're usually close to unlocking flying.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Beast tribes, gathering, hunts, world bosses in some zones(kholusia and tempest), post MSQ, sidequests, various other unlocks(24man and 8man raid quests for example).

At least this expansion they added a way to unlock mount ground speed earlier, so the first thing I did in every ShB zone other than the 2 split ones was run 6FATEs and buy the riding map for that zone to run around faster. I don't think it's a big deal either, you only do it once(more or less, have to redo on real alts, but not that many people play actual alts since you can do every class on one char) and it doesn't take long at all.

Last edited:

Daidraco

Beast tribes, gathering, hunts, world bosses in some zones(kholusia and tempest), post MSQ, sidequests, various other unlocks(24man and 8man raid quests for example).

At least this expansion they added a way to unlock mount ground speed earlier, so the first thing I did in every ShB zone other than the 2 split ones was run 6FATEs and buy the riding map for that zone to run around faster. I don't think it's a big deal either, you only do it once(more or less, have to redo on real alts, but not that many people play actual alts since you can do every class on one char) and it doesn't take long at all.

I got 90% of the flight points as I quested through the zones. I felt like one to three were always some weird spot at that you wouldnt reach on your regular path of leveling, but other than that... Just pick em up as you go and done.

Merrith

"fixed list of turn ins" for crafting/gathering is weird. It's already a fixed list, just rotates through a couple different possibilities for crafting. Gathering aside from fishing is completely fixed list already.

It's crazy how I feel like it's been so long since playing through the original ShB story at release (when it hasn't been even a year), even crazier they're finishing up the main ShB MSQ already in this patch. I know that's been the case where the main story for that expansion finishing in the X.3 patch, and X.4 and X.5 are for setting up the next expansion...but just seems like there's so many threads from the First that are still there to be explored.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
"fixed list of turn ins" for crafting/gathering is weird. It's already a fixed list, just rotates through a couple different possibilities for crafting. Gathering aside from fishing is completely fixed list already.

It's crazy how I feel like it's been so long since playing through the original ShB story at release (when it hasn't been even a year), even crazier they're finishing up the main ShB MSQ already in this patch. I know that's been the case where the main story for that expansion finishing in the X.3 patch, and X.4 and X.5 are for setting up the next expansion...but just seems like there's so many threads from the First that are still there to be explored.
To an extent, the full ShB stuff won't be done by 5.3, since there's still the 5.4 raid content which obviously is heavily tied to that. Also while they're saying it'll be finished, it doesn't mean everything there is done just like previous expansions. If you look at SB for example, in 4.3 you liberate Doma fully, but you spend most of 4.4 and 4.5 still running around to discuss thing with weeb Cyan and worst girl while the Empire is doing what the Empire does. It set up ShB stuff with the Scions but a large part was still part of the main SB storyline even after the "end" of the arc. I fully expect it'll be similar, 5.3 will see everyone sent back, but you'll still be able to cross over and you'll probably have some reasons to do so.

Merrith

To an extent, the full ShB stuff won't be done by 5.3, since there's still the 5.4 raid content which obviously is heavily tied to that. Also while they're saying it'll be finished, it doesn't mean everything there is done just like previous expansions. If you look at SB for example, in 4.3 you liberate Doma fully, but you spend most of 4.4 and 4.5 still running around to discuss thing with weeb Cyan and worst girl while the Empire is doing what the Empire does. It set up ShB stuff with the Scions but a large part was still part of the main SB storyline even after the "end" of the arc. I fully expect it'll be similar, 5.3 will see everyone sent back, but you'll still be able to cross over and you'll probably have some reasons to do so.

Worst girl? Funny I miss her this expansion.

I'm sure they'll be more stuff, but it was more just things happening to Scions within the SB areas. We'll see if they figure out how to send the rest of the Scions home from the First in 5.3 MSQ.