Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

fletch101

Lord Nagafen Raider
They didn't nerf the rewards, they nerfed the ability to endlessly loop skills until every item you made was HQ. My understanding is that it will be extremely difficult to make HQ items without using only HQ materials.
It was not hard to make HQ turn in items without the looping. Using the partial HQ base materials (the lumber only) and using only carpentry skills/no cross-class skills, resulted in level appropriate HQ leve turn-ins about 60% of the time. This was still well worth it, as the HQ base materials were trivial to obtain.

It is possible, maybe even likely, that this was just a fortunate confluence of recipe and leve requirements. You will need a recipe that doesn't need a ton of cross class base items and happens to be a leve turn in item as well.

On the other side of the spectrum, an item could require something like Crab Oil along with harvestable materials. This item requires it's own base item in the form of a mob drop. It's an uncommon drop as well; from a limited sample set, about 20%. Then you need to turn that into a HQ version of Crab Oil. These type of items are a pain in the ass, and I would just rather grind on easy to create items and save my leves for something else.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Well, there's more to the changes than just the looping so even the 60% chance may be reduced by a lot, unless you use full HQ materials.

To cut to the chase, we're aware of the current situation with using NQ material to create HQ items, and believe this to be an undesirable situation. There have been a lot of excellent points made already, but these are the three primary reasons:

The use of NQ material to create HQ items with such a high success rate undermines the value of HQ material, which also undermines the value of gathering classes.
Players would be able to easily create HQ items regardless of recipe difficulty.
Because the actions used to achieve these results are limited to certain classes, players may feel forced to level classes they have no interest in. Although we'd like to encourage players to try different crafting classes for the actions they can learn, the use of actions from other classes in this way was not intended. Therefore, these actions will have to be adjusted.

As mentioned above, we will be adjusting the crafting class actions to find a better balance between the crafting of NQ and HQ items.
As we work on these adjustments, we'd like to avoid restrictions on what actions can be borrowed from other classes. However, please keep in mind that any changes made will be done with the balance of the in game economy in mind.

tower

Golden Knight of the Realm
I guess we'll see what they do but I thought HQ difficulty was tuned correctly for crafts your level without having the synergy of all the skills from multiple crafts that let you loop infinitely.

I'd maybe nerf how easy it is to HQ items once you've out leveled it. At 35 armorer you can get HQ iron ingots every time, etc

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
Just received an email:

Hello,

We are writing to you as we have had to refund your purchase of Final Fantasy XIV. We made an error, as we cannot sell this game in Japan currently.

Please accept our apologies and as a gesture of goodwill we are giving you an additional $5 GMG Credit in your account

Thanks,
GMG Team

Interesting, considering I have already registered the game on my Square Enix account. I really don't see how they are going to un-register it at this point...

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
What is the speculation on the jobs remaining that havent been released? I read someone mentioned shadowknight type class.

Draynar_sl

shitlord
Just received an email:

Hello,

We are writing to you as we have had to refund your purchase of Final Fantasy XIV. We made an error, as we cannot sell this game in Japan currently.

Please accept our apologies and as a gesture of goodwill we are giving you an additional $5 GMG Credit in your account

Thanks,
GMG Team

Interesting, considering I have already registered the game on my Square Enix account. I really don't see how they are going to un-register it at this point...
Far as I'm aware there has been at no point yet ability to add our pre order codes to SE accounts so you might want to double check that.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Decided to hold off on this game. Not trying to be a badass or anything, will be away on my honeymoon at launch and the semester will start up right when I get back - might as well just wait 1-2 months and see if anyone is still playing.

Erie_sl

shitlord
Similar situation as I can't play much at launch, moving brother into house, fantasy drafts, weddings and such all happening at end of summer (hate the launch date), but ... Damn I'm excited for this game even though MMOs these days are nothing but disappointing. Generally stay away from betas because I like the launch day experience, but I'm definitely trying open beta if we get to keep characters.

/end drunk rant (... ! release the game already)

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
What is the speculation on the jobs remaining that havent been released? I read someone mentioned shadowknight type class.
In FFXI (and not yet officially announced for FFXIV) There were: Samurai, Thief, Ninja, Dark Knight (SKish... sorta), Puppet Master, Blue Mage, Dancer, Red Mage, Beast Master, Corsair, Rune Fencer, Ranger.

Dark Knight wielded 2handed weapons (primarily scythes) and wore heavy armor. Currently, it would fit in most with the Marauder class and sit along side the Warrior as a Job. It hasn't been alluded to yet, but it would fit in with that paradigm the best. I personally hope it gets added (and relatively soonish) because that is the primary type of character I play in games given the option since 1999.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Not really but they confirmed voice overs will be in for P4. Also they've shown high level screenshots(only 3 screens, one of Garuda, one of lvl 49 FATE and forgot what 3rd one is, think trash), it has Scholars in them, so it seems the class should be done and as such playable.

I assume we'll get news next week or so. Might be monday/tuesday the week after though.

tower

The speculation is they're going to start it on the 9th since the 8th is a Thursday.

I don't know why this has to be a big secret. Just let us know so we can plan around it.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
There likely isn't any secret to it, they're simply finalizing their own testing and haven't hardcoded the date yet.

tower

Nah I get it. If they find a major issue they want to be able to push it back.

Which is fine if it happens. Just say the 9th (or whenever) is the tentative date.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
i hope it gets pushed back a week, id hate to have to choose between watching TI3 and playing phase 4.