Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Heallun

Lord Nagafen Raider
It's a bit different. It's a theme park but the story is actually engaging and good.
SWTOR had a decent story. You don't get 300 days /played on a pre-set storyline. Game looks fun but it's definitely a 90 day and done unless they're Gods of content creation.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Curious. Will P4 be only for pre-orders? As in the head start with no wipe after? Or will head start be more of a P5 only a few days before launch?

I do not have the game on pre-order, and I have not gotten any e-mails regarding an eventual P4 open beta (have been in beta for the last 4-5 tests). I am not going to pre-order anything until I see how the summoner works.

tower

Golden Knight of the Realm
I found the game a lot more fun in phase 3 once the quests dried up. My understanding is that the quests won't actually dry up going forward but that they weren't implemented in p3.

The class system may buy it an extra month or so. I'm not going in with the expectation of reaching the 90 day mark but if I do it would be 89 days and 20 hours longer than I played SWTOR.

My suggestion to anyone trying it (who is on the fence) is to play up to the Ifrit fight. The first 10-15 levels they don't just hold your hand, they grab you and drag you around. The game functioning properly (and the relatively short amount of time required) got me through that part and it sold me after.

The community, aside from a few japanophiles, was a cut above the norm and that played a role as well. Now that Dungeon Finder is in that could be gone and it ups the Theme Park factor even more.

^edit: phase 4 is a 1 week open beta open to anyone that registers for it. if you were in p3 you should be in p4. after that they'll have head start, etc

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Absolutely don't have a pre-order and just got a P4 invite myself a few days ago (I was forced to register it by yesterday in advance or it was going to expire or some such) - so no it's not a head start/pre-order phase.

Stave

Potato del Grande
Absolutely don't have a pre-order and just got a P4 invite myself a few days ago (I was forced to register it by yesterday in advance or it was going to expire or some such) - so no it's not a head start/pre-order phase.
Yeah it's gonna be an open beta without a wipe, and early start will start probably around August 20th. Also, tonight/tomorrow morning, the 2nd benchmark tool is launching and the character creator. You won't actually be making/saving/naming your character on the server, but you will be able to save customization files so you can import them to create your character later.

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Funny thing about the responsiveness issues/AOE... That was actually an issue in early WoW as well. Used to be spells cast from the center of your circle to the edge of theirs... Which is fine until two players have vastly different sized circles, ala gnomes and Tauren.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
One of the good things about this game is the little touches that are added. For example, your character maintains eye contact with your target. Even through enemy animations - if they jump in the air, your character will look up and follow it through it's animation. The animations are also smooth as silk, game feels tight and responsive, the monsters and assets are unique, and the effects are cool, even if sometimes you feel a bit like you are in a fireworks display. If you target someone behind you or to the side, your character will look over its shoulder or to the side at your target, even friendly ones.

Even with my shitty GTX 460 super overclock I scored 10500 (extremely high) on the high desktop benchmark. I think the game is more processor than GPU intensive, which is nice. Need open beta now!

Stave

Potato del Grande
My score went up quite a bit with the new benchmark. Now rocking about 10k. They have really optimized this engine. It is especially noticeable during the ifrit fight and when all the people are walking by the aether crystal. 60fps with like 40-50 players on the screen looking amazing. Even WoW would hiccup during this sometimes. It's pretty crazy how good this engine is really.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
Why not some character pictures? On the left is my main from beta, on the right I char I made for fun.

Listening the music in the character creation is soothing
smile.png

k04ryx.jpg

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
My score went up quite a bit with the new benchmark. Now rocking about 10k. They have really optimized this engine. It is especially noticeable during the ifrit fight and when all the people are walking by the aether crystal. 60fps with like 40-50 players on the screen looking amazing. Even WoW would hiccup during this sometimes. It's pretty crazy how good this engine is really.
Well when they decided to make that shit work on PS3, I guess they had to. The first video showing PS3 footage showed atrocious FPS issues, but the next one was decent(it's still like 30FPS but first video was like 15). It is also kinda an old engine, and yet they reduced the quality(the original FFXIV was better looking by a fair margin if you check comparison screenshots), so yeah, it runs pretty well.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
Well when they decided to make that shit work on PS3, I guess they had to. The first video showing PS3 footage showed atrocious FPS issues, but the next one was decent(it's still like 30FPS but first video was like 15). It is also kinda an old engine, and yet they reduced the quality(the original FFXIV was better looking by a fair margin if you check comparison screenshots), so yeah, it runs pretty well.
What does that say when they dropped the visuals and still have the best looking MMO by a good margin? Still pretty good, IMO.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
What does that say when they dropped the visuals and still have the best looking MMO by a good margin? Still pretty good, IMO.
Oh yeah not saying it looks bad or anything, but it does say they completely fucked it up the first time around because the engine ran not very well unless you had a top of the line computer iirc, when really they didn't need the game to look that good at the time. Mostly though I like the art direction in general so regardless of the quality of the engine I'd still like how the game looks, the fact it also looks good technically at the same time is icing on the cake.

Edit: Apparently some stuff was in the benchmark other than well, the benchmark, tutorials from the P4 client and other shit I don't know, but some datamining going on athttp://www.daevaofwar.net/index.php?...63-dat-mining/

Has some pics about Arcanist/Carbuncle and Fishing stuff, as well as dungeon names and minipet icons.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
Oh yeah not saying it looks bad or anything, but it does say they completely fucked it up the first time around because the engine ran not very well unless you had a top of the line computer iirc, when really they didn't need the game to look that good at the time. Mostly though I like the art direction in general so regardless of the quality of the engine I'd still like how the game looks, the fact it also looks good technically at the same time is icing on the cake.

Edit: Apparently some stuff was in the benchmark other than well, the benchmark, tutorials from the P4 client and other shit I don't know, but some datamining going on athttp://www.daevaofwar.net/index.php?...63-dat-mining/

Has some pics about Arcanist/Carbuncle and Fishing stuff, as well as dungeon names and minipet icons.
Free company branded gear. Kinda awesome. Can get a rerolled theme going.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
If you really want it to look good, FF XIV does work with SweetFX as long as you use theright versionof the injector. You have to be careful how much SMAA you add, because it has the unfortunate effect of making text hard to read if you overdo it. (My settingshere.)

If you want to see the difference it can make:
Normal
SweetFX
Text issues minimized as much as possible

The performance hit is negligible. SMAA uses shaders to do the antialiasing work, and modern GPUs are extremely efficient with shaders. If you try it out for yourself, make sure to turn off SE's awful FXAA implementation in settings.

It works with the benchmark too, if you put the SweetFX files in the \game subdirectory.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Upgraded my card today. This is on Maximum with Shadow Resolution/Cascading/Softening each dropped a level.

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.130104-1431)
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti(VRAM 4049 MB) 9.18.0013.2049
Tested on:8/1/2013 10:23:46 AM
Score:4021
Average Framerate:33.145
Performance:High
-Easily capable of running the game. Should perform well, even at higher resolutions.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760(VRAM 4042 MB) 9.18.0013.2049
Tested on:8/1/2013 12:47:37 PM
Score:9536
Average Framerate:83.276
Performance:Extremely High
-Easily capable of running the game on the highest settings.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
Upgraded my card today. This is on Maximum with Shadow Resolution/Cascading/Softening each dropped a level.

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.130104-1431)
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti(VRAM 4049 MB) 9.18.0013.2049
Tested on:8/1/2013 10:23:46 AM
Score:4021
Average Framerate:33.145
Performance:High
-Easily capable of running the game. Should perform well, even at higher resolutions.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760(VRAM 4042 MB) 9.18.0013.2049
Tested on:8/1/2013 12:47:37 PM
Score:9536
Average Framerate:83.276
That's pretty low for a 760. What processor are you running?

Edit I'm an idiot, I see it now. I5 3750k must be a beast if it's making my score higher than yours when I'm running a 460 GTX Super OC

FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn Official Benchmark (Character Creation)
Tested on:8/2/2013 1:57:46 AM
Score:9998
Average Framerate:89.420

System:
Windows VistaT Home Premium (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.vistasp2_gdr.130308-1436)
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz
16324.992MB
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460(VRAM 4050 MB) 9.18.0013.1422

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I had to go withGalaxy GeForce GTX 760 GC 2 GB GDDR5simply due to physical length constraints within my current tower.

Pure maximum difference with no shadow reduction is 2862 (22.888 fps) vs 9334 (82.202 fps). Have not done any tweaks to the 760, it's still straight out of the box.