Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Goonsquad Officer
Are all the tank classes pretty much viable, or is this a WoW-style thing where only gunblades or something can tank in harder content?
They all work. Some say gunbreaker does best dps, warrior is one trick pony, paladin is a bit tougher and dk is best main tank, but the difference is super marginal in overall tankiness and ability to do any content.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Hit only 31. Dicking with Paladin but also trying to bring up summoner too. There’s a lot of fucking content but so far seems fun and the community seems nicer. Gotta admit I’m still a little meh on the Japanese styling vs western mmo aesthetics. Strange since FF4 and FF6 are two of my favorite games of all time.

Even casually, MMOs are so relaxing to play.

I'm doing the same thing. Pal/Summoner. And yeah everyone is an angel, and I really like that. I tried logging back into ESO and asked some questions because all my abilities and shit were gone and I got utter silence in 3 different zones. There's plenty of people, they just ain't talkin. So I really do like that about FF14. I just hope I get some more abilities soon because I'm still finding the GCD pretty rough, at least on pal. It feels better on a caster because your GCD is taken up by cast time.

Also, I do feel quite attached to my character. The attention to detail in certain scenes is crazy. Little eye movements that convey happiness or whatever. There was one that really impressed me that was super subtle. Someone actually sat and designed the tiniest of facial mannerisms for that one sentence of that one scene and I was blown away by that, and that makes me feel attached to my character.

However, the one thing that pulls me out of it is all the jobs being on one character. I personally prefer alts. I'm attached to my Hyur Highlander redhead chick as a Gladiator/Paladin. That's the story I started with her and that's what I feel most attached to with her. So when I swap to summoner and she's running around in a robe with a nerdy book, it doesn't feel right. I'd much rather have that had been an alt, and a totally different persona that I could build up and get attached to in a different way. In my opinion it's a huge weakness for the game. I like doing different race/class combos with different appearances and different stories/personalities. And that's almost impossible on FF14 because the systems do not support it (no proper bank, only 1 char per "server", etc etc).

Goonsquad Officer
I'm the oposite. I cant do alts because the idea of re doing quests over make my eyes roll back. I always preferred one manz many role systems. I do hear thst alt complaint a fair bit tho

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
French tanks are the worst. For some reason the role in need for the duty finder is almost always healer, and I those guys are ... something else entirely.

The unsynced sprouts (most likely from WoW) took to the "wall to wall pull" meta like fish to water, even when they have shit mitigation or don't even bother with defensive cooldowns. The sync'ed 80 gunbreaker though pulled pack for pack, and even positioned himself between the mobs. Most likely getting his ass kicked is his fetish.

lolwtf.jpg

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
I'm kind of torn on the lack of alt thing also. Having everything on one char is super convenient, but I definitely like having different characters/appearances per class. I love my cat man, but my god, he just doesn't look right as a DRG, so I went back to my Miqote chick. If I could glam character appearance with job, that would be friggin' awesome.

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The biggest appeal to this game for me is the ability to do everything on one character. I'll never be tempted to do an alt in this game, the idea sounds masochistic.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
French tanks are the worst. For some reason the role in need for the duty finder is almost always healer, and I those guys are ... something else entirely.

The unsynced sprouts (most likely from WoW) took to the "wall to wall pull" meta like fish to water, even when they have shit mitigation or don't even bother with defensive cooldowns. The sync'ed 80 gunbreaker though pulled pack for pack, and even positioned himself between the mobs. Most likely getting his ass kicked is his fetish.

View attachment 358368

That's because French Tanks only know how to reverse!

tenor.gif

• 3Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

Morrow

Trakanon Raider

View attachment 358368
That's because French gamers suck.

nu_11

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'm doing the same thing. Pal/Summoner. And yeah everyone is an angel, and I really like that. I tried logging back into ESO and asked some questions because all my abilities and shit were gone and I got utter silence in 3 different zones. There's plenty of people, they just ain't talkin. So I really do like that about FF14. I just hope I get some more abilities soon because I'm still finding the GCD pretty rough, at least on pal. It feels better on a caster because your GCD is taken up by cast time.

Also, I do feel quite attached to my character. The attention to detail in certain scenes is crazy. Little eye movements that convey happiness or whatever. There was one that really impressed me that was super subtle. Someone actually sat and designed the tiniest of facial mannerisms for that one sentence of that one scene and I was blown away by that, and that makes me feel attached to my character.

However, the one thing that pulls me out of it is all the jobs being on one character. I personally prefer alts. I'm attached to my Hyur Highlander redhead chick as a Gladiator/Paladin. That's the story I started with her and that's what I feel most attached to with her. So when I swap to summoner and she's running around in a robe with a nerdy book, it doesn't feel right. I'd much rather have that had been an alt, and a totally different persona that I could build up and get attached to in a different way. In my opinion it's a huge weakness for the game. I like doing different race/class combos with different appearances and different stories/personalities. And that's almost impossible on FF14 because the systems do not support it (no proper bank, only 1 char per "server", etc etc).

GTFO. Fuck having 8 different characters and having to do reputation, crafting skills, and content unlocks for every one of them. Having everything consolidated on one character is best.

I'm also pretty sure you can do more than 1 char per server if you do the $15/month subscription.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
If you don't like the looks of your character with a specific job, there's a lot of variety in gear later on so you can transmog it.

Like every class can dress as the Nier Automata character which is stockings/dress (or shorts for male characters? Not sure)

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
If you don't like the looks of your character with a specific job, there's a lot of variety in gear later on so you can transmog it.

Like every class can dress as the Nier Automata character which is stockings/dress (or shorts for male characters? Not sure)
Yeah its 2B for female characters, 9S for male.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Yeah so some tank armour is a bit too bulky on my viera, so gonna try and work in the tights or maybe the dress. Maybe mix it with Advent Children Cloud transmog from subbing for a few months or the Gunbreaker starter armour which is basically Squall's outfit.

Malkav

French Madman

There is no 9s non job specific glam. Gear drops in the Copied Factory are 9s inspired for some jobs though.

The universal costume set is 2B, both for female and male. Yes, you can have your male char in 2B outfit.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Barraind

Trakanon Raider
I have alts in 14, but most were from an era where you had daily capped tradeskill items tied to beast tribes, and alts let me make gear MUCH faster.

I made one this expansion to play with a friend who moved datacenters.

It only takes 4-5 days played to get 1-2 jobs to 80 and all crafters maxed if you just go full steam ahead and maximize everything. Possibly as low as 3 if you cut out having a second job (which takes a little time) and crafting (which takes dailies).

But now, they just sit around holding FC houses. The only real use they have is on other datacenters, and thats not going to be a necessity for much longer.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Correct. But the story skip will give you access to the roguelike dungeons which allow you to level your other jobs much faster than you normally level through questing or dungeons.