Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
I would say old enough to not care about offense taken at a collection of pixels on a webpage.

Rope

Silver Knight of the Realm
A low pop server doesn't even save you. I started trying to log in to Courl at 9am Sunday and it took me six hours to get in, and that's one of the lowest pop servers on the list. Most of the time the server list wouldn't even load, or I'd get 1017 before I even picked a character at all. I even got 1017'd out of a 4 person queue, ffs. During this time I also tried to get onto Lamia and Marlboro, also low pop servers. Same deal.
The servers got shut down for maintenance on Sunday from 8:30am to 10:30am pst. If you tried to log in to Courl for 6 hours this means nothing but if you tried during that time, that might be why. I also have no clue what your time zone is so the servers could have just been borked.

Budrick

Molten Core Raider
I would be one of them. I'm afk in the inn even though I'm at work.
I tried to get onto Malboro from Saturday afternoon and all day Sunday, but kept getting the server full message.
I don't know any other way to be able to play the character I want to play on the server I choose.

I never even bothered to make characters on Gilgamesh and started on Malboro from beta 4.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Because they forgot to put in an afk auto time out

Isn't it hilarious?

There are people afking for upwards of half a day right now
Asian MMOs generally don't have auto AFK.

That said, Phase 3 did have auto AFK kick so they were testing it at some point.

Servers are melting trying to run noob zones with thousands of players in them and that's a problem that has been solved for a very long time.
This doesn't seem to be true. The game itself has been lag free for me all Saturday (when they had no pop caps) and later Sunday.

The instability is almost all coming from the Duty Finder/Instance servers - and the lack of queue so people are hammering the character selection trying to get in which causes the Lobby to crash constantly.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
I'm wondering when Ill start seeing lineage 2 level of players ( that was the way shops worked there )sitting around in huge numbers due to no afk timer to avoid login problems.

Tol_sl

shitlord
I thought it was strange how they so blatently ripped off the Empire with those guys. Like, they even had a Darth Vader voice in one of the cutscenes.
I love how that cutscene was like, taking off on a rickety old airship and then it cuts away to a scifi dropship with 4 darth vaders in it. Gonna defect to the empire and get gun-everythings as soon as possible.

Roxby

Lord Nagafen Raider
FF12 had some empire vader guys too, with crazy helmet voices too.. so it wasn't their first time.

Vilgan_sl

shitlord
The complaints are fucking valid. Why does this game even have such outdated design? The zones don't even phase/instance if they are overcrowded, and that shit has been around since EQ2. Servers are melting trying to run noob zones with thousands of players in them and that's a problem that has been solved for a very long time.
I haven't seen any of this "servers melting in n00b zones" stuff at all. With the exception of the duty server which has created the queues, performance has been superb. 100 people stacked on each other for the same fate? No big deal. 500+ chilling in the city? Again, no big deal. Instance performance once inside the instance has also been great.

Their approach of locking the servers for character creation (regardless of what you think of that tactic) did a good job of balancing server population and making it a great experience IF you are online. The only issues this weekend have been 1: Duty server overload, which doesn't impact you inside the instance but meant you could get blocked from starting a new instance which is a huge blocker and #2: Login experience is awful. Both of these experiences are not affected by what server you on, you can have a shit login experience on Gilgamesh as well as Faery. Throughout the weekend, unless blocked early on by the instance stuff once you made it in game the experience was pretty darn good.

It also felt like they were manually adjusting world server limits based on duty server load, so there is a good chance that the 1000s of afk people (myself included while at work) aren't actually causing any problems. The load on the instance server when they all get home and start playing might be a different story tho :p

Spawn_sl

shitlord
I'm on Malboro as well. If someone has something setup let me know and I'll join. Think I hit 15 on my GLA last night, going to go PAL I guess until Shadow Knight comes out if ever.

Char Name: Hush It

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
It also felt like they were manually adjusting world server limits based on duty server load, so there is a good chance that the 1000s of afk people (myself included while at work) aren't actually causing any problems. The load on the instance server when they all get home and start playing might be a different story tho :p
I think you're right here. That would explain the brief hiccups yesterday with duty finder. It'd be working well for a while and then crap out, but only for like 5 minutes. I figure they were closely monitoring it, and when they raised the server limits enough it'd cause duty finder to break again and they'd lower it a bit. Then duty finder would start working. Repeat all day and that's pretty much how Sunday went.

Stosh

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I was on all day yesterday with no issues at all, I zoned dozens of times without a single hiccup. Not white knighting, since my friends on Vent spent all day getting disconnected and/or were unable to logon at all.

I understand SE being cheap and not wanting to invest a shitload of money on extra servers that will not be needed outside of the first 30 days, but clearly they fucked up. I see this as a business opportunity for a larger company, to provide the extra bandwidth and server capabilities to companies who don't want to throw a bunch of money at a short term problem. Blizzard doesn't need the extra money, but this is right up SOE's alley. SOE should be all over this, renting their servers and bandwidth to MMO's for the first 30 to 90 days of release so that companies don't have to overspend to deal with the initial logon crush.

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
Jesus, for a bunch of nonconformist asshats, some of you girls get your panties in a bunch over a word many of you sling around like a used Tenacious D cumrag. Yeah, I said American Inventor. Yes, in a way that was in no way illuminating or even humorous. Yes, I understand the tortured history and negative feelings that word can convey, just as I understand the jocularity with which it's tossed around nowadays. No, I'm not sorry and there's a good chance I'll say American Inventor again. That being said, allow me to lead us all in a rousing rendition of "Nobody Knows the Trouble I've Seen" as my internets crater like Edward James Olmos' face and let's move on with the topic of FF, yes?

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
I was on all day yesterday with no issues at all, I zoned dozens of times without a single hiccup. Not white knighting, since my friends on Vent spent all day getting disconnected and/or were unable to logon at all.

I understand SE being cheap and not wanting to invest a shitload of money on extra servers that will not be needed outside of the first 30 days, but clearly they fucked up. I see this as a business opportunity for a larger company, to provide the extra bandwidth and server capabilities to companies who don't want to throw a bunch of money at a short term problem. Blizzard doesn't need the extra money, but this is right up SOE's alley. SOE should be all over this, renting their servers and bandwidth to MMO's for the first 30 to 90 days of release so that companies don't have to overspend to deal with the initial logon crush.
I think the issue might not be that there's not enough servers, but more their choice of hosting/datacenter for them in Montreal if I am not mistaken. Just on brief research it seems they didn't go with a massive well known one that other mmo's usually go with , such as in VA for east coast/EU mix servers , and maybe went a bit on the cheap route on the actual hosting solution.