Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
So this is for sure happening? I guess I don’t follow as closely as some of you guys, I hadn’t seen or heard this talked about anywhere except here, and only in passing just today and maybe a month ago, forgot who mentioned it back then.

I’m kinda salty about this tbh, I really love how AST can currently do either. It’s a big part of why I picked the job up when it came out, and has since remained my only healer job. Not to mention, I really like Nocturnal and use it almost exclusively unless of course I get paired with a scholar or another AST who puts Noct on first.

It's for sure happening. Lot of feelings about it from healers for sure, but that is the route they are going with the addition of Sage.

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
At least in Shadowbringers, the quest design doesn't really progress beyond 'run here to see the next part of the story' x 10 and then a dungeon/trial. It's not bad because the story is good, but most everything plays out in the cutscenes. You do very little combat outside dungeons / single player duties / trials. Sometimes there is a quest with a purple circle with two mobs or a 'go kill this one thing' but the MSQ (esp post 5.0) stays away from killing more than 2-3 things or clicking 2-3 sparkles. After that, its back to endlessly running between npcs.

The 2.x stuff seemed particularly offensive. You just finished ARR and two long ass dungeons, you're super excited to start HW (the 'good' stuff) and now you have to run around picking flowers and larping with Alphinaud so he can play leader. At one point, the quest sent me to check on some npc. I check on them, they say they are 'fine' and so I return the original quest giver to report that the NPC was 'fine'. At that point, the NPC I checked on calls on the linkshell or some shit and it's like, couldn't you fuckers have just done that in the first place? A literal quest for nothing.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Arr could use some trimming and simple recaps to build the world
They already trimmed, could trim more but I guess they still wanted a certain experience with it. Hopefully once they start 7.0 they just offer a way to bypass the entire current story arc for new players, with a new summarized start that basically act as a boost. I think 7.0 would be a good time for that, and you could still do the old story if you wanted, just having an option to bypass it would be nice to focus on the new story and stuff. Won't be anytime soon though, for now it's just the long story or buying a skip.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Then you should know about the false latency problems present with Cloud Infrastructure, it's really really apparent with WoW when they switched over..

Cloud Services are not ready, they won't be for maybe another 5 years at most, and with the recent shortage of silicon it might even be longer.

How would SE know that Blizzard would literally shit the bed with not only the lawsuit, but the shit show that was 9.1?(A lot of people were leaving before the lawsuit even came around at all)

I don't think any admin at SE would get fired cause they can't tell the future, it was an unknown they are doing the best they can with what they have, and I'm pretty sure they are not gonna cannibalize there new DC.

Cloud infrastructure is fine. It depends on where you get it from, and how many other resources are shared on that machine.

Quite literally, games are the last to make the switch and only because legacy MMO architecture is fundamentally incompatible with how cloud tech is supposed to work.

MMOs are better hosted on bare metal for a LOT of reasons, primary issue being cost.

B_Mizzle

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Level 25-35 was absolutely awful. I remember spending 2 hrs running around looking for wine for a "feast". What a joke. Gets better after that thank god.

I just did that part last night, was reminding me about bear asses and hoping it got better soonish.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Valos

Golden Knight of the Realm
A lot of the bear asses were removed. There are still some left over, but it thins out the higher you go until you're in Heavensward. There are still "go here and talk to blah" watch a cutscene and move to another place and watch another cutscene. That's the story narrative type of game it is, and that wont lessen.

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
Holy shit the number of quests at 50 to finish ARR and move on to Heavensward is insane. After a few hours of quests with my first 50 (SMN), I switched over to ninja, leveled that to 50 and I’m still only like halfway through them all. I just started an archer to get a break and may not be able to resist taking a bard to 50 before deciding which of the three to finish it with.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Holy shit the number of quests at 50 to finish ARR and move on to Heavensward is insane. After a few hours of quests with my first 50 (SMN), I switched over to ninja, leveled that to 50 and I’m still only like halfway through them all. I just started an archer to get a break and may not be able to resist taking a bard to 50 before deciding which of the three to finish it with.
They didn't speed that part up nearly enough. Its still a massive amount of quests. Heavensward onward though its not bad at all.

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
They didn't speed that part up nearly enough. Its still a massive amount of quests. Heavensward onward though its not bad at all.
It’s also silly that you get two full sets of jewelry upgrades (for two archetypes) before you even really get to fight anything outside of the full party instances. That being said, this free trial is crazy good. At this rate, I’ll continue to putt around with as many classes as I want to try before hoping for a good value on the inevitable complete edition

Drajakur

Molten Core Raider
I couldn't do it. I bought the MSQ unlock pack on the Mog Station today because I couldn't believe how many inane quests I had to go through before I could do my 52 BLM quest and go to Heavensward. Funny to think I waded through all that content only to tap out with like 25 fetch quests left. Oh well. It was only 20 bucks and now I'm excited about playing again. They should just cut that content completely. All the stuff I did was garbage and had the aura of just complete filler (which, I suppose it was given the lifecycle of that content pre-expac).

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
All the stuff I did was garbage and had the aura of just complete filler
The first half of the post ARR stuff is somewhat filler but it is also laying groundwork for one of the main story arcs moving forwards. The second half of post ARR content is setup for Heavensward. It is a bit long, but having recently played through it, as well as all of heavensward and most of stormblood, there are similar patches throughout.. There are stretches of 15+ MSQ at times in heavensward and stormblood which are pure narrative too.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
Joining the Aether Hunts discord has been amazing. Knocked out 50 S ranks, a bunch of achievement fates, and 100+ A ranks in 2 days due to trains. Simply amazing.

Not to mention flying in a group together with 200 other people on different mounts is a sight to see

• 3Like

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
Have a 72 whm on Zalera, was planning to get moved to Aether shard but alas getting sub payment updated was giving me errors, then it all got locked down.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
1630098409838.png

• 2Worf
  • 1Weird Boner