Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
Archer/bard has been wicked fun; they do so much damage with exceedingly little risk to self. Also their leather armor tends to be decent looking.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Oh, there is one terrible and fucking stupid thing about Archers/Bards though. Their Limit Break is still the Healer one and that is fucking stupid beyond belief. They need to pull their heads out of their asses and change it to one of the DPS ones.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Accuracy to whatever hit cap, which is yet to be determined, and then Dex/Crit > are everything else. Skill Speed is pure junk, once you hit 48+ and if you stack up crit you'll rarely be at a point where you won't be hitting something due to River of Blood procs chain resetting Bloodletter and keeping all your buffs and shit on cooldown.

Bard AF armor isn't that bad, and you won't be wearing it for long anyways once you hit 50 and start farming AK for Toxotes gear and Philosophy tokens for Darklight. It does suck though that the Mythology token gear is just reskinned AF shit. At least the Allagan gear is different.
Cool, ty. Glad to hear the armor won't look so, as someone else said...fab. haha.

skribble

Golden Knight of the Realm
Sorry for more noob questions, thanks for the tank / healer synergy information. I teamed with some better players later that day, but boy are groups a mixed bag. That fight with the slime where you have to pull the exploding mobs onto the slime to destroy it BLEW PEOPLES MINDS. Like they just did. not. understand. what was going on. Kept killing the thing before it exploded and when they finally got the hang of it on the next boss fight I couldn't get them to kill an add for love nor money. Dungeons where adds can actually kill me are going to be interesting.

Anyway, onto the noob question. Right now Im aiming for white mage, so Ive been going to 30 as Conj and 15 as arcanist, putting all my points into Mind. So say I decide to become a bard, how exactly does this work when Ive already put all my stuff into Mind? And does picking a class up later gimp you in anyway as compared to picking it right from the start?

Column_sl

shitlord
Really wish you could spec a WHM with sleep into an enchanter type though; my EQ enchanter is probably my favorite character of all time, though I imagine a lot of that is nostalgia. Not sure I want a game where that kind of CC is required, simply because you have a class capable of turning a 5 pull into a 1 debuffed to fuck and back pull.

Edit: Got my elder scrolls beta key so this should be interesting shit, trying to juggle the two of them.
A Black mage has mass sleep, single sleep, and can take virus from the Arcanist. Pretty close to an enchanter that can still do massive damage.

I think the problem is the packs are usually no bigger then 3, and obliviously you can just run to all the bosses with the trash skipped.

Column_sl

shitlord
Anyway, onto the noob question. Right now Im aiming for white mage, so Ive been going to 30 as Conj and 15 as arcanist, putting all my points into Mind. So say I decide to become a bard, how exactly does this work when Ive already put all my stuff into Mind? And does picking a class up later gimp you in anyway as compared to picking it right from the start?
Points reset when you switch to a new class. They are not tied together on your character.

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
A Black mage has mass sleep, single sleep, and can take virus from the Arcanist. Pretty close to an enchanter that can still do massive damage.

I think the problem is the packs are usually no bigger then 3, and obliviously you can just run to all the bosses with the trash skipped.
Ohh that is really, really cool. Thanks for the info!

spronk

FPS noob
Leveling combat classes in this game is incredibly easy by the way, I hit 50 on my warrior on saturday (got 3102'd during open beta so only made it to level 12, not a single other class leveled) and am already 41 on my black mage not even 3 days later. Its mind numbingly repetitive on other jobs though, you basically are completely out of quests so you just grind fates endlessly in groups, which means no dungeon queuing either unfortunately and without quests you actually lose money (ports, repairs) while leveling just doing fates. You also end up in real shitty gear, its quite common to see new 50s in still level 15 gear. Leveling gathering and crafting professions is unfortunately not as easy, the UI is beyond terrible and its korean grinding to the extreme. Which some are going to level, and some will hate.

One tip, there are daily "turn in an item" quests at your grand company for each of your professions. If you pick up every prof you can do these daily, and over a year you will level all the profs pretty high without actually having to do too much.

edit: logging in now, 7 player queue on gilg (~ min) so either a whole lotta people logging in or they are still throttling hardcore. No 2002s or 1017s at least.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Oh, there is one terrible and fucking stupid thing about Archers/Bards though. Their Limit Break is still the Healer one and that is fucking stupid beyond belief. They need to pull their heads out of their asses and change it to one of the DPS ones.
I think they'll change it later, they probably weighted making a new limit break for a single class, or just giving them one, and healer one is the one that "fits" the best. Once they add musketeer I'm sure they'll add a ranged DPS limit break. It's not too much of an issue, as long as you don't run 2 bards in 4mans, then it's pretty fucking gay cause you have 3 heal and 1 tank LB, so you basically can't do much of anything. LB3 for healer does combat rez everyone but rez take so long in this time I'd a good half of them end up being wasted with the guy rezing into an aoe.

Killjoy_sl

shitlord
9/4 Patch Notes

Login system seems a lot faster/smoother now (Character pops right up). Had 1017 for a few minutes when the servers first came back and the patch seems to have broken the Autohotkey script but I managed to get in manually after a few tries. Here's to hoping that we won't need it anymore after today.