Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Chris

Potato del Grande
All you are really doing is writing a book, you never have to factor player choice in to the narrative, that book better be interesting.
That I can't deny.

Well you've seen that the 50-60 combat is an order of magnitude better than 1-50 combat. The combat increases another order of magnitude again in terms of the buttons you press and another in terms of how complex the fights are.

You've also seen the story also improve an order of magnitude from 1-50 to 50-60 too, Shadowbringers is where your hard work starts to pay off and it starts to become the best story every told in gaming. All these shitty anoying characters pay off.

Big problem you have is only doing the dungeons once (and this is correct for now), the story isn't gameplay but it does unlock the dungeons and raids. Eventually you'll start farming all this stuff you unlocked for endgane currency and just enjoy the pure gameplay.

One little tip: once you finish Heavensward unlock the first Alexander and Mhach raids, you don't need to do them right away but you'll end up progressing through them as you do Raid and Alliance roulettes for exp/currency later.

I don't personally like Alexander that much but the three Mhach raids are really fun.

Honestly this game is like polishing a turd and finding a billion dollar rare diamond in the middle lol

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
I skipped everything from 1-70 and still enjoyed Shadowbringers and Endwalker. :p
poyj_21.08.111.jpg

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
That I can't deny.

Well you've seen that the 50-60 combat is an order of magnitude better than 1-50 combat. The combat increases another order of magnitude again in terms of the buttons you press and another in terms of how complex the fights are.

You've also seen the story also improve an order of magnitude from 1-50 to 50-60 too, Shadowbringers is where your hard work starts to pay off and it starts to become the best story every told in gaming. All these shitty anoying characters pay off.

Big problem you have is only doing the dungeons once (and this is correct for now), the story isn't gameplay but it does unlock the dungeons and raids. Eventually you'll start farming all this stuff you unlocked for endgane currency and just enjoy the pure gameplay.

One little tip: once you finish Heavensward unlock the first Alexander and Mhach raids, you don't need to do them right away but you'll end up progressing through them as you do Raid and Alliance roulettes for exp/currency later.

I don't personally like Alexander that much but the three Mhach raids are really fun.

Honestly this game is like polishing a turd and finding a billion dollar rare diamond in the middle lol
hey bro, i'm really not trying to nitpick here and please don't take this the wrong way, but this is the apologetics I was talking about. An order of magnitude is 10x better. This hasn't happened, not even close. It takes until level 50 to have the gameplay almost as in depth as a rogue does at level 5 in WoW. i'm 62 now and my gameplay is about twice as good as it was from 1-50, so i'm a lvl 10 rogue now instead of level 5.

You start with 1 skill at level 1 and you build up from there. It takes that long to get enough skills to fill a hotbar. But it's not about the number of skills you have, it's about actually having to think about anything. From 1-50 the game may as well have 2 buttons. Autoattack for single target, and auto attack for AOE. that's all you really are doing. Likewise for the story, it finally follows a coherent narrative, where before it had schizophrenia and could hardly be called a story.

I'm almost done with Heavensward so i'll post my thoughts on that story soon, but I am heading out of town today for a potential surgery which if that happens it may be some time before I'm able to game. I'm sure this thread will be devastated without my posts and y'all will be waiting with baited breath for my return.

For anyone who has never played this game before and might be confused i'm going to break down combat in layman's terms:
from 1-50 you are drip fed skills every 5 levels, you start with 1 skill.
You have an autoattack which is pretty meaningless in the grand scheme of things, say you have an axe that deals 100 dmg, and it has a delay of 3.5 (pretty typical for 2h axe that warrior uses).

So you deal 100 dmg every 3.5 seconds.

To start you have 1 button you can press, heavy strike, which deals 150 damage. Every 2.5s (GCD) you deal 150 dmg, every 3.5s you autoattack for 100.
Then after a few levels you get a 2nd button you can press, maim. It deals 130 dmg, unless you use it after heavy strike, in which case it deals 250. (and "after" is fucking forgiving, like 24s to to use it, and it doesn't have to be on the same target, it's not a debuff on a mob, it isn't a combo point you are building or anything)

So to start, you have to "decide" what to do. press 1 to deal 150, or press 2 to deal 130. This isn't a choice, you always press 1.
Next GCD, you "decide" what to do. press 1 to deal 150, or press 2 to deal 250. This isn't a choice, you always press 2. and repeat.
so you press 1,2,1,2, etc.
There's no resource to manage or think about, mobs don't actually deal damage to you. I mean i guess they do but you are never at risk of dying, you will never drop below 90% health and you seem to have the same insane health regen in combat as well as out, there's no downtime to manage. There's telegraphs but they are extremely forgiving, you can type a sonnet in the time you have to move out of the aoe. You do get a 30s cooldown stun and an interrupt but mobs you can use interrupt on are a handful of boss abilities sprinkled through 50 levels. Stun you can use on trash to avoid having to avoid their aoes, ie if you are lazy.

Around the mid 20s you gain a 3rd skill. It deals 120 dmg, unless you use it after Maim, in which case it deals 380 dmg and heals you.

So again:
press 1 to deal 150, 2 to deal 130, or 3 to deal 120. You always press 1.
then press 1 to deal 150, 2 to deal 250, or 3 to deal 120. You always press 2.
then press 1 to deal 150, 2 to deal 130, or 3 to deal 380 and heal yourself. You always press 3.

And that's combat. You also get an AOE "rotation" slowly drip fed to you which is identical to the above except no 3, just 1,2.

Mid 30s you get a resource, which you build by pressing 2,3 that lets you deal 330 dmg that doesn't interfere with the 1,2,3 "rotation". at level 50 you gain an AOE version of this resource consumer.

And finally, at level 50, you gain your first actual choice in combat:

Storm's Eye, deals 120 unless used after Maim(2), in which case it deals 380 and gives you a 10% dmg buff.

So now your options are:
press 1 to deal 150, 2 to deal 130, 3 to deal 120, or 4 to deal 120. You always press 1.
then press 1 to deal 150, 2 to deal 250, 3 to deal 120, or 4 to deal 120. You always press 2.
then press 1 to deal 150, 2 to deal 130, 3 to deal 380 and heal yourself, or 4 to deal 380 and give yourself 10% dmg buff. See what it did there? You now have a choice. Do you need the heal(3) or do you need the buff(4)? it's also slightly more complex! 3 gives you 20 resource, while 4 only gives you 10. you start to have to think about managing that resource you were given 20 levels earlier!

mind you this buff you also gain from the AOE rotation and it stacks for up to 60s duration, so 90% of the time you already have the buff from AOEing the trash and your health isn't 100% from clearing all the trash, so you typically still choose 3 mainly and the periodically use 4 to refresh your buff, but it's nice to have the option.

Last edited:

Chris

Potato del Grande
I'm almost done with Heavensward so i'll post my thoughts on that story soon, but I am heading out of town today for a potential surgery which if that happens it may be some time before I'm able to game. I'm sure this thread will be devastated without my posts and y'all will be waiting with baited breath for my return.
We are just trying to be supportive and give you advice and encouragement to get you to the point where you can share in the two great expansions we just had.

Nobody has disputed your critique of the game, you are right.

What's pissing me off is that you keep reposting your shitting on the game over and over again and now I just don't want to read what you think of the good parts of the game. You are clearly too autistic to enjoy it.

So you can now be the third person on my ignore list and I'll pretend that you died in that surgery. Yes you are Ossoi and Vanessa tier.

Ehrgeix

Trakanon Raider
I unsubbed for the next patch and I'm playing Assassin's Creed Odyssey (never played one these games before), it has a MSQ lol.

So I guess FF14 is like playing the Assassin's Creed series in order of worse game to best game and I'm a boost buyer since I've no idea what the plot is.

Can't believe you'd quit the greatest MMO of all time =(

-

Sylas Sylas - Warrior is one of the easiest classes in ff, but combat rotations for most classes are generally not challenging to do on a dummy at max level (they do get more interesting than at level 60 though, obviously). This places a lot of stress on encounter design to add challenge/interestingness, but they generally manage this (solo potd/HoH are fun, current 24man -> extreme -> savage -> ultimate are ramping challenge). The downside of this is you rarely get exciting "connecting with your class" gameplay and it's mostly "put blue square in blue square hole" mechanics to figure out. Which is mixed. Apparently I've been playing for almost 5y now though, so they are doing something right at least.

1645571710260.png

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Well you are ignoring me now but it seems like this is a goal post move? I thought you said the last raid of Heavensward was where I could tell the story was going to get good? is it now only the last 2 expansions?

joz123

Potato del Grande
Well you are ignoring me now but it seems like this is a goal post move? I thought you said the last raid of Heavensward was where I could tell the story was going to get good? is it now only the last 2 expansions?
Why do you keep playing a game you obviously don't like? Story is only part of the game and you hate the combat.

• 2Like

Krowbar

Molten Core Raider
From the way my friend described it, Heavensward and Stormblood are pretty much self-contained stories with the main plot taking a backseat. The final patch of Stormblood followed by Shadowbringers and Endwalker pretty much focus on the main plot. I ended up skipping everything till I got to the level 70 stormblood content and enjoyed the story from that point on.

Maybe someone else could correct me on this.

Goonsquad Officer
From the way my friend described it, Heavensward and Stormblood are pretty much self-contained stories with the main plot taking a backseat. The final patch of Stormblood followed by Shadowbringers and Endwalker pretty much focus on the main plot. I ended up skipping everything till I got to the level 70 stormblood content and enjoyed the story from that point on.

Maybe someone else could correct me on this.
Arr is pure world building and setting rule establishment. Heavensward is a self contained story that fleshed out a bit of world. Stormblood moved the main story...awkwardly at first and expanded the setting to the east and raised the scope of garlemald. Shadowbringers is a self contained story that uses a ton of the earlier backstory and side lore as central. Then endwalker gathers everything it can grasp and wraps it all up with as many cameos as possible.

Its the only vidya game story I know of that maintained coherence (minus a few presumed retconss and revivals) that iterates over 6 boxes and 4 tweeny sessions.

An important caveat though is that you have to want to enjoy it. Maybe like jrpgs. Maybe enjoy anything. Otherwise you are likely to just compare it to whatever else and bitch.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Heavensward is mostly about the Dragonsong war but it dovetails together with the Ascians at the end of 3.0 and the post-game of Heavensward sets up both Stormblood and Shadowbringers. Stormblood is pretty much entirely about Ala Mhigo and Doma, although the post-game of Stormblood delves back into the Ascians and sets up Shadowbringers.

Krowbar

Molten Core Raider
Well I had played the original launch and didn't even last the free 30 days so I was hesitant to start again till my RL friend convinced me. He did say that Shadowbringers had the insane Final Fantasy scale storyline which it did. EW hadn't released yet when I started but after experiencing both, I'm glad I did. I don't really enjoy the end-game the way it's designed here though so I'm unsubscribed till the next major patch or expansion.

• 1Like

Krowbar

Molten Core Raider
The highlight of the game was the ending of 5.0 for me. They even made the duty finder a part of the climactic ending.

• 1Like

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Its the only vidya game story I know of that maintained coherence (minus a few presumed retconss and revivals) that iterates over 6 boxes and 4 tweeny sessions.
Can you explain what this means? I get that WoW changes shit/retcons storylines every expansion (maybe? Idk i only ever played vanilla and then classic wow) but wow isnt really a story game.

I can think of no other games where this is a problem?

Goonsquad Officer
Warcraft couldn't maintain narrative consistency between warcraft3 and wow. They changed a lot of core elements. Its not about "only" story games. Wow obviously repeatedly raped its own lore, but games like mass effect bastardized then made a mockery of its story elements. That's just 3.5 games.

Its hard to think of just about any game that does a persistent storyline or setting without completely dropping the ball. Dark souls 1>2 went to retard town. Eq > plane of time > shark jump uqua or whatever. Dead space lost its horror setting and became a micro game and suffered for it, then got executed by ea. Starcraft had 1 broodmare, wings of liberty then Planet Fucking Zerg and the ultra karigan.

Lore suffers in almost all arenas when you try to iterate a game. Ff14 sort of uniquely keeps its Narrative, setting and story coherant and steadily improving. It does this over 1.0, arr, (the post arr), hw, (post hw), sb, (post sb), shb. (Post shb) then endwalker. not to say everyone will like it. You have to like jrp or japanimation cartoons or just ff14 to enjoy it. But it keeps its own lore quality up.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Um you mentioned wow which i already stated not really a story game and doesn't care about its lore, then eq jumped the shark after 5 expansions? Shit i tapped out of eq when they went cats on the moon and sold my account.

Mass effect tells a coherent story over its trilogy, andromeda is a spin off rather than sequel so no, thats not accurate. Then you mention a rts and then darksouls? I'm not sure I'm following what exactly you are comparing or trying to say. Other than WoW what rpg/mmos do you think don't follow a coherent storyline? I really cant think of any that dont do as good a job or better than ff14, so im not sure why you think its some unicorn here.

Also I wouldnt call arr or post arr coherent, in fact my main gripe about this "story" is how inconsistent and incoherent it is.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
You think the Garlemald Empire are the obvious good guys. There is nobody left on this forum who thinks your opinion on the story matters.

• 2Like

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
As presented in arr and so far in heavensward, absolutely they are the "good" guys.

Have you seen apocalypyo? Tell me your thoughts on the ending.

Last edited:

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Do you know why it's called A Realm Reborn? Because the 'obvious good guy' Garlean Empire triggered the 7th Umbral Calamity when they tried to commit genocide on the inhabitants of Eorzea with Dalamud. I'll refrain from bringing up more examples of their CARTOONISHLY EVIL behavior in Heavensward because I don't know how far along you are but nobody of sound mind would ever think that the Garlean Empire are the good guys at any point during the FF14 story.

I don't think any Empire has ever turned out to be the good guys in the entire 40+ year history of Squaresoft games.