Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
WHy does almost every major character have armour plates everywhere EXCEPT their genitals?
If you do the quest 'Stroking the Haft' as pointed out a few posts above, you will know the answer to this question. Stuff needs room to manuever, expand and the like.

misery_sl

shitlord
Is it too late to pick this up, or would a total beginner like me with no friends be able to get into the game? Is soloing rough?

Frenzic

Lord Nagafen Raider
Is it too late to pick this up, or would a total beginner like me with no friends be able to get into the game? Is soloing rough?
When I first started I choose a server I knew no one on. Just recently came back for the free weekend and decided to stay. Again I'm on a server I knew no one and just made friends here. It's pretty easy to make friends in this game and the majority of people are very nice.

Xaxius

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm really enjoying the controller. Can you use a controller and keyboard together?
I actually play on my PS3 with a controller and use my android tablet as a bluetooth keyboard. You could probably use an android phone just as well. Just download BlueputDroid and you're good to go.

Chris

Potato del Grande
You can solo 1-50 easily and there is a very good party finder system for the 4 and 8 man content which is part of the story and beyond.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
i wouldnt mind getting back into this. I submitted a support ticket a few days ago because I cant remember my account information for the life of me ... still havnt heard back from them. ggwp.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
So, I decided to jump back into this but I'm not feeling like going DPS. What is the current consensus between Paladin/Warrior tanking. What are the major differences? I've heard Paladin has better mitigation while Warrior has better threat control, but that is all second-hand knowledge. Overall, how difficult is Tanking in this game? As someone who has never tanked in an MMO before, am I setting myself up for failure?
WAR easier time to corral and hold hate on multiple mobs, more HPs, more complications in skills. The more mobs it fights, the better it gets.

PLD more stuns, more mitigation, dependant on mana (and a BRD who knows how to pay attention), easier time with bosses for "Oh crap" moments and faster at grabbing hate when needed. The less mobs it fights, the better it gets.

There really isn't a serious threat issue with either though, but if you've never tanked in an mmo before I'd suggest PLD. Both can be played with macros to a great extent anyways after you get an understanding of how they work through the leveling process.

Just make sure to level the proper complementary skills to each tank so that you can be at your best. Some DPS jobs you'll have to level to say, 20 and some to 8 or something for certain skills that your tank will use. The first thing you want to do even if you don't want to heal is level a Conjurer to about 4 for the solo heal that all your other guys can use.

Xaxius

Lord Nagafen Raider
i wouldnt mind getting back into this. I submitted a support ticket a few days ago because I cant remember my account information for the life of me ... still havnt heard back from them. ggwp.
If you haven't heard from them by Monday, call them at this number (310)-846-0345 and they'll take care of it. I had an account issue when I came back and they resolved it almost instantly.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
When I first started I choose a server I knew no one on. Just recently came back for the free weekend and decided to stay. Again I'm on a server I knew no one and just made friends here. It's pretty easy to make friends in this game and the majority of people are very nice.
What server are you on, what is your name in game?

Sarg_sl

shitlord
man, after resubbing and not having played since 2.1, I am having an absolute blast. Hildibrand quests were pretty funny for what they were. The content additions so far are pretty cool (Dungeons, Raids, and Primals) and above all, I am amazed with how much I am enjoying the Frontline PVP. I am normally not a big fan of PVP Arena garbage but I am all for the 3-way matches between the 48-72 players that the Frontlines are currently offering. All things considered, FFXIV seems to have a lot of staying power with its content updates, difficulty, and legitimate fun (although frequently grindy) content that's currently in. The main problem I've had through my experience is keeping a consistant static group to run the 8man coils with, without bleeding through a player each week.

I've been slowly chipping away at tradeskills as well, and even those seem leaps and bounds over the gather X+Y materials and click the combine button.

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Tradeskills are a rabbit hole of evil. You get to a certain point in the 20s where you start needing stuff from other professions that can't be found on a vendor or farmed, so its either pay exorbitant amounts on the market, or level that other stuff up yourself. And then, hell, you need iron or elm or cotton or something, so you are also trying to level a gathering skill to avoid the market prices.

Before you know it, 3 days have gone by, you haven't killed a single thing, you are an expert leatherworker, culinarian and miner when all you wanted was to be a carpenter, you have callouses on your hands from endless node whacking, your leve allowance is at zero and all your gil is gone from porting all over the place.