Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
4-man's aren't the best standard to base your tanking experience from tbh. Even ex trials are pretty faceroll until the level 70 ones.

FFXIV isn't any different from other MMOs, the real game really starts at the max level.
Of course. But for instance I'd have no idea that for the majority, dudes were going in dps stance. I also have a LOT of msq to get through.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Ya it's a weird meta in FFXIV; tanks optimize for dps even though I've only seen a couple real dps races. I think it's a consequence of the fact that everyone tanks on the same char they have a bajillion dps jobs with. Even as PLD I stack for +direct hit and my rotation is concerned with dot uptime and dps.

You get funny looks and /tells from concerned heals if you stack for anything else though so I do what everyone else does lol. It works but I know it's overkill...in fights where max threat is a thing, I'm way ahead of other tanks that it pretty much proves it's a lost opportunity EVERYWHERE ELSE.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
This is like the best time, and shittiest time to get into FFXIV. On the one hand, it's before an expansion, and so shit's usually easier and good time to catch up, figure out what job you want to play, and then coast into the new expansion with some game knowledge figured out.

On the other hand, everyone is in that exact coast mode. I got a handful of friends, but they don't play but a couple nights a week. It's that lull before a new expansion, and so for someone like myself, playing every single night, super into it, and looking for that HYPE LET'S DO ROULETTES yaaaaa !! attitude, it's tough.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Can't remember if i've posted this stuff yet or not but, if you're an active Hunter, fan of Hunts, or just hunting in this lull before Shadowbringers - or hell, if you're looking to get into Hunts in the next expansion:

Most people tend to use Ariyala's Hunt Tracker, but lately a crew of us have been trying to spread the word more and more to get this one used instead: Horus Hunts

It's a little more customizable than Ariyala's page is, and honestly the timers tend to be more accurate i've noticed it seems, cause the more active hunters are already using it. Alerts with /loc for S ranks usually (how it does this, I really don't fucking know - it pulls /loc before i've seen calls in-game, so unless someone's submitting it way early idk).

Also, a good Hunt Discord if you need it: Centurio Hunts

The Horus/Centurio crew seems to be working together so once World hops are live, if cross-world Hunting is actually a thing we'll be able to do (no reason to see why it wouldn't be at this point) we'll have some pre-made lines of communication for those calls and relays.

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
Y'all have drank the koolaid bullshit about tank DPS.

What if I told you that on JP servers healers don't DPS and tanks remain exclusively in tank stance? You know, the Japanese servers. For a Japanese game that has a worldwide audience.

The NA meta is complete bullshit. JP servers have significantly higher clear rates of savage/EX content, too. Not to mention Ultimate difficulty, where the difference is even more stark.

As good as the NA community is, the speed meta (as it plays out in NA) is detrimental to 98% of the playerbase.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

What if I told you that on JP servers healers don't DPS and tanks remain exclusively in tank stance? You know, the Japanese servers. For a Japanese game that has a worldwide audience.

The NA meta is complete bullshit. JP servers have significantly higher clear rates of savage/EX content, too. Not to mention Ultimate difficulty, where the difference is even more stark.

As good as the NA community is, the speed meta (as it plays out in NA) is detrimental to 98% of the playerbase.

Fucking A. JP onry here I come.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider

What if I told you that Japan hasn't had any relevant world firsts in years? In fact, for the past few tiers, they weren't even in the top 3.

This has more to do with culture and ego than it does meta. In Japan, you are expected to better yourself if the group is underperforming; it is shameful to be a problem player and those individuals will work hard to correct their mistakes or bow out on their own accord. In NA/EU, you cannot criticize the way someone plays their trans disabled catgirl or you are a homophobic Nazi and they will report you.

Tanks who play in DPS stance while they're still learning mechanics are retards. I think the speed meta is ultimately good as long as people have realistic expectations of when it's okay to play speedy.

• 1Like

Fennin

Golden Knight of the Realm

I've played in Japan since 2.0 and the largest difference in Japan in relation to tanks and healers is there isn't a stigma in the community for playing it safe when you are progressing a fight or running with PUG groups. They only care about one thing, play to the best of your ability to clear the fight. If you can clear the fight as a tank and just so happen to be able to do 6k dps, even better. The NA community really has the whole thing completely backwards, the motto is play to the best of what top players do. The bottom line is tank stances(with or without), probably lead to less than 1% of total wipes in PUG groups, mechanic mistakes account for the vast majority of wipes, and NA has some really terrible PUG strategies for mechanics.

There are multiple factors that go into why Japanese servers have a higher clear rate, the tank and healer meta is hardly one of those factors.

What if I told you that Japan hasn't had any relevant world firsts in years? In fact, for the past few tiers, they weren't even in the top 3.

Japan had world first Ultimate Bahamut, killed by the same group that got world first on coil bahamut in 2.0

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider

The fuck? Do you even Ultimate?

This has more to do with culture and ego than it does meta. In Japan, you are expected to better yourself if the group is underperforming; it is shameful to be a problem player and those individuals will work hard to correct their mistakes or bow out on their own accord. In NA/EU, you cannot criticize the way someone plays their trans disabled catgirl or you are a homophobic Nazi and they will report you.

This is such a cop out. Let's just agree to disagree.

Tanks who play in DPS stance while they're still learning mechanics are retards. I think the speed meta is ultimately good as long as people have realistic expectations of when it's okay to play speedy.

This is an easy statement to agree with, but I imagine we disagree about the when it's okay to play speedy part.

However, for 98% of the playerbase, it's never okay to play speedy. If you aren't fighting to clear content in week 1, you generally have no business trying to play speedy. The vast majority of NA/EU players try to copy some 1%er strategy but execute it poorly giving drastically worse results.

It's like some backyard militia in bumfuck middle of nowhere trying to copy Navy SEAL strats. It doesn't work that way.

The speed meta is built around cheesing Limit Breaks. Of course 98% of the playerbase has no idea how to do that, and most of them don't even know that's the goal of the speed meta.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Even playing FFXI, where we had mixed servers with their region, the jp players played much different than NA. Even just party metas were different. I'm not really surprised

Finally hit 50. Does anyone know - if you use the story skip does it instantly complete all msq quests up to the beginning of next expacs start? Reason I ask is I want to use the msq in hw to level and then skip the rest. Didn't want to pop the skip if it removes all that though

Last edited:

Cybsled

Story skip completes all the MSQ of that expac. If you're still leveling, I would highly recommend against that, since the MSQ is going to be your bread&butter for base XP gains. Plus HW story was way better than ARR and the MSQ is shorter in terms of the # of quests you have to do.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Even playing FFXI, where we had mixed servers with their region, the jp players played much different than NA. Even just party metas were different. I'm not really surprised

Finally hit 50. Does anyone know - if you use the story skip does it instantly complete all msq quests up to the beginning of next expacs start? Reason I ask is I want to use the msq in hw to level and then skip the rest. Didn't want to pop the skip if it removes all that though
There's an ARR only story skip potion iirc, and it only skips to the first HW quest, basically the same as if you did everything in 2.x and HW just released. That's what you want if you don't want to grind through all the ARR shit. Past that get to 60 and complete 3.0 MSQ first and then buy the HW skip if you want to skip the 3.1 to 3.5 stuff, although it's a lot shorter than ARR and not so bad imo, but up to you I guess.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Sorry to rephrase.

I skipped ARR and I'm gonna buy the HW skip. Will the HW skip remove the HW msq from the game or can I still do them even though I activated the skip?

Nola

Trakanon Raider
This eureka grind is starting to get on my last nerves. Twice yesterday while prepping for Penny people leave to kill other NMs so we didnt have enough time and we lost the window of opportunity to summon her. That is the most annoying thing in the world. Just fucking stay and help kill shit so we can summon her. I just need her drops to get my pyros weapon and move the fuck on to hydatos.

Also I hit 50 last night, got up to 42 logos but how in the hell i get the mount quest in pyros? I must have skipped a quest or something. I know Krille is not giving any quests and neither is Drake.

Malkav

French Madman
Sorry to rephrase.

I skipped ARR and I'm gonna buy the HW skip. Will the HW skip remove the HW msq from the game or can I still do them even though I activated the skip?

The flags them as complete. I fail to see why you would buy the skip and then want to to the MSQ.

Fennin

Golden Knight of the Realm
This eureka grind is starting to get on my last nerves. Twice yesterday while prepping for Penny people leave to kill other NMs so we didnt have enough time and we lost the window of opportunity to summon her. That is the most annoying thing in the world. Just fucking stay and help kill shit so we can summon her. I just need her drops to get my pyros weapon and move the fuck on to hydatos.

Also I hit 50 last night, got up to 42 logos but how in the hell i get the mount quest in pyros? I must have skipped a quest or something. I know Krille is not giving any quests and neither is Drake.

You can buy the drops from penny from the birdwatcher npc near the gate in town for 50 crystals each. Theres also 2 parts to the 50 quest, the first is near penny , the second is past yin's spawn in the south.

• 1Like

Harkon

Vyemm Raider
I know alot of people just want to reach "the endgame" when just starting this game but honestly 2.4-3.5 story is great. I would not play this game like other MMO's where its a rush to get the max level and end content as half the fun in FFXIV is the journey.

There is very little to actually do for the max level end game unless you like to level sync down to previous tiers.