Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I am at level 20 and only doing MSQ's without any other bonuses aside from rested XP. I seem to have overleveled the MSQ's. Just wrapped up the 3 dungeons and those spiked me from 17-20 in about an hour.

Quick question on MSQ completion for vanilla - do I have to do a raid to see the end of the story? And if so, is it hard to populate raids in vanilla right now?
The "raids" in the technical term in this game are side stories, not related to the MSQ. You will have Trials however, which are 8man single boss encounters. You will get A LOT of these once you reach ~50. They're mixed with story dungeons and then the solo instance stuff(which they do more of and better later in the expansions).

In general, old content isn't hard to find groups for, because of roulettes. For the content that's not in roulettes, you can generally find people to carry you with the Party finder, just people rarely do old non roulette content(extreme primals and the ARR raid) at level, it's a waste of time for everyone involved really.

But everything part of the MSQ is in a roulette, and so you always get people. If you're a DPS these queues can still be shit, but for healer/tank it's fine for pretty much everything.

Oh and in case of, roulettes are randomized categories of content that offer a daily bonus(generally large xp bonus), for example the leveling roulette has all the leveling dungeons, the alliance raid roulette all the alliance raids etc. Each give bonuses and are run daily by many people. You should actually probably do your leveling roulette(which unlocks when you have 2 dungeons) every day, it's good xp. If you're on a preferred server with the Road to 70 buff though it won't be necessary to progress the MSQ, but otherwise will probably be useful.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Well that's that then. I was kinda thinking I'd get MCH to 80 for the role quest but I'm not stepping into potd ever again. Does it even work in potd? Wasn't there some armory exp bonus thing that narrowed what exp buffs applied to potd?
It's a scaling earring with main stat on it, so it's worth using all the way to 70. MCH is different now, but still pretty fun. Scaevan aiming gear actually looks nice, too

• 1Like

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
It's a scaling earring with main stat on it, so it's worth using all the way to 70. MCH is different now, but still pretty fun. Scaevan aiming gear actually looks nice, too

If you want to try hard you can equip it when you get synced down in roulettes as well even if you are above 71.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
I am at level 20 and only doing MSQ's without any other bonuses aside from rested XP. I seem to have overleveled the MSQ's. Just wrapped up the 3 dungeons and those spiked me from 17-20 in about an hour.

Quick question on MSQ completion for vanilla - do I have to do a raid to see the end of the story? And if so, is it hard to populate raids in vanilla right now?

People run the Original MSQ raids every single day because they incentivise it by giving you a boatload of Experience and Materia. They also made the cutscenes unskippable so the roulette players don't hastle and rush the new player.

• 1Like

dvoraen

Lord Nagafen Raider
People run the Original MSQ raids every single day because they incentivise it by giving you a boatload of Experience and Materia. They also made the cutscenes unskippable so the roulette players don't hastle and rush the new player.
Except people are using an exploit to bypass those cutscenes to finish faster, so I'm curious if SE will find a way to prevent that from happening besides people reporting that. Would be hilarious if the "fix" was to keep a server-side flag per player in that instance, for "did you finish cutscene X" and make you go back to the start of it if you use said exploit. Of course, that would likely be a client-side change which means the packet sniffers will figure out a countermeasure to that in short order as well.

khorum

Murder Apologist
You have to DC between each long cutscene and that's a hassle on just about every server on Aether which would get you a queue as soon as you try to log in.

I just go watch youtube or something.

• 1Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
The quest lines in these things blow WoW out of the water. Did a quest line (MSQ) where I literally hate this POS that is betraying the people. Investigation, questing, leading up to what we think will be an ambush but they ambush us, and tat POS is there rubbing it in, and now I am waiting for a duty to break out of this hell hole and hopefully sock it to this asshole :)

Love it.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Leviathan seems to have finally settled down for the most part. Even around now-ish at 6PM EST the queue is a mere 50-80 people or so. I usually keep myself logged in all the time but even for the moments when I have had to reboot or something it didn't take me long to get back in.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I'm slow, but got my first crafter to 80(carpenter), and got the full white scrip gear set shortly after. These new sets look cool. :)

khorum

Murder Apologist
So good. So good. All of the night themes are, but holy fuck, Soken.

"From the Heavens" triggers my PTSD whenever I zone into the FC estate. Still the most epic battle music in the game, which fits the ridiculous visuals of the fight itself. Prolly the first raid boss that rewards users on a 4K display.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
You have to DC between each long cutscene and that's a hassle on just about every server on Aether which would get you a queue as soon as you try to log in.

I just go watch youtube or something.
If you change the language to french the cutscenes will be shorter by seconds. You'll be the first one out of it while others are still watching it.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
If you change the language to french the cutscenes will be shorter by seconds. You'll be the first one out of it while others are still watching it.

Damn that makes sense, I was wondering why some people in MSQ Roulette would still be trapped in cutscenes after others got out. Didn't think about other dialogues taking different times.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Correct, and the timeworn maps' 5.0 dungeon. It remains to be seen if we will be getting Master VII crafting as well.
Map dungeons came with 4.05 in SB, which coincided with crafting upgrade(which itself coincided with limited tomes and savage).

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Even if Master 7 books are available on Tuesday I would 99.9% expect zero combat gear recipes available until 5.05 (Savage / new tome currency)