Fired for an availability change..

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
My girlfriend recently accepted a position that requires her to work weekends. Because of this, I needed to change my availability to be off on weekends, to care for our child. I still have 24 hour availability during the week, just not the weekend. Yesterday, my manager told me that this would be my last week, as they just couldn't keep me without having the weekends open. The thing is, looking at the schedule book, there are 11 people that have weekends either unavailable or at least 1 of those 2 days unavailable. This seems like total bullshit to me, but maybe I'm wrong on this?

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
If your hours are at the discretion of your employer, it's probably not uncommon for you to be let go if you can't meet their expectations. Just because others have discussed availability and are exempt (for whatever reason) doesn't mean that you'll necessarily get the same treatment.

Example: Where I work, we can do compressed workweeks (work 8.5 hrs a day instead of 7.5, and get every 10th day off in lieu). A lot of people ask to do them, but if there's already someone who wants, say, every other Friday off, it's unlikely that anyone will be permitted to take the same set of days off. Whoever got there first gets the day, and if you're the second person who asks... too bad.

Sucks for you, as you're just trying to do the right thing for your child, but... there's probably nothing wrong with it, unless you have a contract that says that you have a hand in deciding your work hours.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
My girlfriend recently accepted a position that requires her to work weekends. Because of this, I needed to change my availability to be off on weekends, to care for our child. I still have 24 hour availability during the week, just not the weekend. Yesterday, my manager told me that this would be my last week, as they just couldn't keep me without having the weekends open. The thing is, looking at the schedule book, there are 11 people that have weekends either unavailable or at least 1 of those 2 days unavailable. This seems like total bullshit to me, but maybe I'm wrong on this?
What kind of relationship do you have with your boss? It doesn't sound good.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
What kind of job do you have? The fact that you being available 24 hours a day during the week implies that your job relies heavily on round-the-clock availability. In that case, I can't really fault your employer for factoring your availability so heavily into your employability.

The fact that other people have the schedule you want sucks, but life isn't fair.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
What kind of job do you have? The fact that you being available 24 hours a day during the week implies that your job relies heavily on round-the-clock availability. In that case, I can't really fault your employer for factoring your availability so heavily into your employability.

The fact that other people have the schedule you want sucks, but life isn't fair.
Retail. I know weekend availability is important in that business, but they didn't impress that upon me during hiring. It was mostly just a "dumb" job to make some extra cash while going to school. When I was initially contacted/interviewed, they impressed upon me that all they could guarantee me were 20 hours, more depending on the business needs. They never once said to me, "Hey, we can only guarantee you 20 hours, 16 of which will come from weekend shifts. So you HAVE to be available weekends". If they had said that, I'd have told them to fuck off. She literally said she "couldn't give me hours" without weekend availability, which I know is complete and total bullshit. Why didn't they tell me that upfront? "Oh, by the way! If you aren't available weekends, we can't give you hours!". They have ONE other person for mornings during the week, which is where they struggle. For some reason, most people come in late afternoon-closing. In fact, last Saturday, we had all but 2 people working, and most of us were just standing around with nothing to do. It's way too many people. The store isn't busy enough for that kind of workforce. So to blame it on "weekend availability" seems like complete horseshit.

I realize life isn't fair. But I talked with some people and one girl mentioned to me that when she started, she changed her availability to ONLY work on Saturdays. Guess what? She only works Saturdays. It's becoming apparent to me that they are just trying to "bully" me into opening up my weekend availability, because it makes things easier on them from a scheduling standpoint. When she said they were "letting me go", she told me that she hated doing it because I worked my butt off and was a great worker, but without that availability...blah blah blah. She also said to "Feel free to reapply when your availability opens back up". I think they are expecting that I'll come in Friday and say "Well, I guess I'll work weekends now!". I'm going to go ahead and contact the union and see what they have to say.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
It sounds like typical retail/service industry scheduling bullshit. That's part and parcel to working in those kinds of jobs. Did you explain the reason for changing your availability? Maybe they just think you want weekends off so you can sleep off your Friday night partying.

Anyway, it sounds like a shitty place to work with shitty management so you're probably better off finding a new place anyway. At least it's just a "dumb" retail job so you're not losing anything important.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Is your boss a man? How many of the 11 that don't work weekends are women with big tits?

(you've gotten good advice so far)

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yea, I agree with others. I sympathize with you, but considering the type of job/industry we're talking about, it sounds par for the course. Availability is gold to jobs like that and if they don't think they are getting what they need out of you, they'll just replace and recycle.

I'd just find something better. If they are not going to work with you (for what sounds like a legitimate reason) than there is probably a bunch of other stuff that they would be an ass about.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I'm not trying to be an asshole here, but as an employer myself I don't look for reasons to let otherwise good employees go. So it's either that they really only can get you hours on the weekend, or that they don't think you're cutting it in other areas.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I'm not trying to be an asshole here, but as an employer myself I don't look for reasons to let otherwise good employees go. So it's either that they really only can get you hours on the weekend, or that they don't think you're cutting it in other areas.
Right, but then why not just say "You're just not a good fit."? Or something similar. She was pretty specific about not being able to give me hours and that it had nothing to do with the quality of my work. I asked her specifically if it was due to me not being productive enough.

Anyhow, the union said they aren't able to do that normally, but seeing as I've been there for 74 days and I'm not yet at my 90, they can essentially do whatever the fuck they want. The union rep said that she'd try other HR departments around town, to see if they could work with my schedule. Knowing how retail is, I'm sure they can't. Hell, this store doesn't evenneedthat availability. Like I said, there were a million of us there on Saturday. About 4 or so more than needed. I used to supervise in retail, so I know it's just a case of them wanting me "available", to make scheduling easier.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
No person especially a woman wants to say "we just think you suck and you finally gave us an excuse to fire you" unless they are just as cold as ice.

iannis

Musty Nester
Yeah. That's just the boss being lazy. But that's one of the perks of being the boss I guess, you can be lazy.

I'll bet it's something to do with the 90 days shit, and I'd also bet that those other people you see with the weekends off are well senior. It might not even be incredibly lazy on the bosses part it might be a case of we either have to get rid of him now, or put up with who knows what after 90 days. I'm not saying you're one of them but you know as well as I do there are people who will claim 24/7 availibility and then when they're hired it's all of a sudden "I need all day sunday off. I need friday nights off, and I need wednesday nights off on account of how churchgoing I am". You might have just accidentally tripped a red flag for your boss. And if they're already running over budget (you should never have 4 "extra" people. There's always work to be done) then that's even more reason to start pushing the employees that you're able to out the door.

Whatever the reason you really are no worse off somewhere else.

iannis

Musty Nester
Don't take it to heart. I once had a guy refuse to hire me because he ran a background check and I was charged with (but never convicted of) a misdemeanor when I was 17. I was 25 when I talked to that guy. I spent 10 minutes trying to get him to just admit he didn't wanna hire me rather than his canned bullshit responses to me asking why a 10 year old traffic stop mattered. He wouldn't admit it.

Some people... I don't think they even know how to have an honest conversation. His brother was probably a cop or something. Who the fuck knows.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Right, but then why not just say "You're just not a good fit."? Or something similar. She was pretty specific about not being able to give me hours and that it had nothing to do with the quality of my work. I asked her specifically if it was due to me not being productive enough.
Because telling someone "they're not a good fit" or "you have a shit attitude" is a surefire way to stir the shit so it stinks that much more, for one reason. You're obviously pissed off about being let go over availability issues, I would imagine if they had instead told you that you were a poor employee for whatever reason that you'd be that much more pissed about it. For another, people shy away from that kind of directness.

When we let someone go that's worked for us for a significant period of time but has worn out their welcome, whether because of productivity, conflicts with others, or attendance we will generally only say something along the lines of "it's time for us to make a change" and not much more, because it just leads to sour grapes. If they've been with us for years we might give them more of an indication, but at the end of the day in that situation, if they are really honest with themselves they should know what the problems were.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Because telling someone "they're not a good fit" or "you have a shit attitude" is a surefire way to stir the shit so it stinks that much more, for one reason. You're obviously pissed off about being let go over availability issues, I would imagine if they had instead told you that you were a poor employee for whatever reason that you'd be that much more pissed about it. For another, people shy away from that kind of directness.
Even the union rep found it odd that they went into so much detail about why they couldn't keep me. She said they usually give you a canned response of "Not a good fit", "Our goals aren't the same", etc. Like I said, I really think it's just them trying to bully me into having 100% availability. Expecting I'll come back on Friday(my last day), singing a different tune. Especially when the weekends seem pretty well covered. Jimmies are just so rustled because it's the first job that I've ever been "let go" from.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
it might be a case of we either have to get rid of him now, or put up with who knows what after 90 days.
Yup. Especially when there is a union involved, they have to be extremely cautious. Because once you clear the probationary period, you have the full weight of the union behind you, and it may be impossible to release you later. I worked at a Big Three automaker, and once you were a full member and past the probationary period, you were almost impossible to fire. We had a guy only show up to work three days a week, and they asked him why only three. The answer was because the union had to protect him as long as he only missed two days a week.

When I got out of college and had my first real job, the company gave us nine months probation before hired. I remember one time I had a fever of 102, and they made me come to work or they were going to release me. They looked for any reason they could to release people during that time. That's what this sounds like. And the Managers really believed they were doing what was right for the company, too. They wanted to cull the weak, to make the company strong. So no sick days.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yup. The good thing is that it's a crappy retail job. There are plenty of crappy retail jobs to be had.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Jimmies are just so rustled because it's the first job that I've ever been "let go" from.
It's a crappy retail job, you'll be OK. When I was in college, my first Manager position was at an Amusement Park. I managed four or five restaurants. It was too much, I needed an assistant, and I was demoted to just someone in the restaurant. That was the last time I was demoted. When I got my real job out of college, I got promotion after promotion, and ended up being an Exec at age 30.

Your jimmies are rustled, mine were too, but I'm sure ten years from now, you won't give a shit. I laugh now at that demotion, but it taught me some lessons about life and made me work harder. No one will lay you off if you make yourself indispensable.

I laugh at that crappy ass job I had, and the Managers that were above me that are probably still in those dead end jobs.