Fired for an availability change..

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I did 6 years in the Army doing IT work, 2 years corporate IT work, had an associate's in computer science and bachelor's in finance. I was accepted to officer candidate school to be a pilot (which is incredibly competitive), but had about 9 months between graduation from college and starting. I was pretty much rocking life.

I went and got a shit job at a gym front desk to bring in some money during the wait. They "let me go" right before my probation period ended. I have no idea what for, and for about an hour I was pretty pissed. But then I realized I don't give a shit. It was a crappy job that I was overqualified for. I know I'm not a shitty employee. Just move on with your life. Fuck, you can even pretend, like me, that I never even had that job. Let it go and find something else. There are plenty of shit minimum wage jobs out there.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I did 6 years in the Army doing IT work, 2 years corporate IT work, had an associate's in computer science and bachelor's in finance. I was accepted to officer candidate school to be a pilot (which is incredibly competitive), but had about 9 months between graduation from college and starting. I was pretty much rocking life.

I went and got a shit job at a gym front desk to bring in some money during the wait. They "let me go" right before my probation period ended. I have no idea what for, and for about an hour I was pretty pissed. But then I realized I don't give a shit. It was a crappy job that I was overqualified for. I know I'm not a shitty employee. Just move on with your life. Fuck, you can even pretend, like me, that I never even had that job. Let it go and find something else. There are plenty of shit minimum wage jobs out there.
Yeah, that's pretty much the attitude I have at this point. At first, it was total shock, especially since I know I'm a good employee(always been given high reviews, early/quarterly raises, etc.) Then that shock turned to anger. After talking with the union rep and realizing there's nothing I can do, I realize what a silly, dead end job it was.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Grocery I'm guessing from the union piece, along with retail/24h.

So, the answer is "you're fucked," basically because you didn't put in your 90 days. Had you done that first, it would have been a big deal probably, but since you're still on probation, they just get rid of anyone who's going to be a "problem." And because you have something that resembles a life outside of the workplace, you're a "problem."

My wife basically got shitcanned from Macy's for the same kinda thing. I don't remember exactly what the circumstances were as it was 10+ years ago, but she changed her availability on hours, and because it wasn't complete and total open, they couldn't work with her anymore, so they told her when her last day was gonna be. Retail blows, no reason to get bent outta shape about it.

Cybsled

Ya, retail is pretty shitty (esp corporate retail). That being said, trying to get hours that don't meet peak demand for the business isn't going to fly, especially for new guys. The mention of 11 other people not working weekends is also a clue...it's possible they were hiring primarily to fill weekend hours or wanted to make sure they had someone who had the flexibility to fill in where needed.

Holidays aside, though, weekends are pretty much a universal busy time for any type of retail, so keep that in mind if you are searching for another retail position.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
I guess there's also the possibility they hired too many people and business didn't end up being as good as it used to be. You did mention there were more people working on weekends than there was work that needed to be done, so maybe you singled yourself out by changing your hours and made it easier for them to decide who to cut from the fold.

darkmiasma

Trakanon Raider
Anyhow, the union said they aren't able to do that normally, but seeing as I've been there for 74 days and I'm not yet at my 90, they can essentially do whatever the fuck they want.
That's it right there - same with temp-to-full positions ... take any semi-reasonable excuse to punt someone unless you want them there forever ... my old company used to do it often.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I'm not trying to be an asshole here, but as an employer myself I don't look for reasons to let otherwise good employees go. So it's either that they really only can get you hours on the weekend, or that they don't think you're cutting it in other areas.
Well TBH you aren't a retail employer either. I managed retail in a college town for a bit, and every single employee was considered disposable. Scheduling was a nightmare and it wasn't unusual to have employees change their availability and then not get scheduled for weeks as a result. Those employees would either change their availability back, or quit. And we weren't Union either, so I imagine that their PT turnover (so as to avoid more Union employees) might be really high. And if this is in a college town as my store was, there will always be a steady supply of PT people to dick over.

I suppose that the mindset in my store was more that if someone was a "good" employee, to get them to conform to hours and schedule them a lot. Otherwise, really any mouthbreather can work 10-20 hours a week. In fact I'd say a large part of how employees were rated was their availability, if you had limited availability you would be the first to get scheduled 0 hours a week.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
IfIworked at your store, I'd be pissed if the new guy was unable to work weekends.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
IfIworked at your store, I'd be pissed if the new guy was unable to work weekends.
Yeah, I get that as well. In fact, she even said "If I make an exception for you, I'd have to make one for everybody!". I guess I just expected them to be a bit more understanding of the situation. But when you have a nearly endless supply of employees, that's how it goes, I guess.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Yeah, I get that as well. In fact, she even said "If I make an exception for you, I'd have to make one for everybody!". I guess I just expected them to be a bit more understanding of the situation. Butwhen you have a nearly endless supply of employees, that's how it goes, I guess.
New guys in the shop here rarely figure that out. When you are new or easily replaceable you pretty much have to suck it up and put your time in being like everyone else till you become hard to replace.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Fuck its retail man. Why do you care enough to make a forum post? Of course they fired you for dropping weekends. Most real people make that mistake once. Do yourself a favor and dont make your whole life a mistake.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Right, but then why not just say "You're just not a good fit."? Or something similar. She was pretty specific about not being able to give me hours and that it had nothing to do with the quality of my work. I asked her specifically if it was due to me not being productive enough.
If I fire someone who "isn't a good fit" I will get dinged for their unemployment should they claim it. If I fire someone for a "lack of availability" I stand a chance of not having to pay that unemployment.

And at least in my state, having to pay unemployment means more expenses than just that employees benefits. It means my unemployment insurance rates also get jacked up for the next 3 years which will end up costing me exponentially more than just the benefits, so paying out unemployment is to be avoided at all costs if possible.

Right, but then why not just say "You're just not a good fit."? Or something similar. She was pretty specific about not being able to give me hours and that it had nothing to do with the quality of my work. I asked her specifically if it was due to me not being productive enough.

Anyhow, the union said they aren't able to do that normally, but seeing as I've been there for 74 days and I'm not yet at my 90, they can essentially do whatever the fuck they want. The union rep said that she'd try other HR departments around town, to see if they could work with my schedule. Knowing how retail is, I'm sure they can't. Hell, this store doesn't evenneedthat availability. Like I said, there were a million of us there on Saturday. About 4 or so more than needed. I used to supervise in retail, so I know it's just a case of them wanting me "available", to make scheduling easier.
Yeah dude uh....this is 100% on you.

I spent 10 years in retail.

You've only been there less than three months and you had an availability change. When you are a hiring manager in retail you have folks who have been there longer with set schedules. That you want to keep. Not someone who has been there like 2 months. You told them at the time you were hired you had open availability. So that they could continue to schedule their existing folks in a status quo kind of way. How many people do you think they have that want weekends off? How many people do you think they see start with 'open availability' that once hired 'need an availability change'?

You yourself said you were a supervisor in retail. This is the way things work. I don't really know why you're surprised. I would have absolutely fired you too.

niss_sl

shitlord
I think the dude was blindsided by the "I have a baby" excuse. But no one really gives a shit and every single person that requests weekends off either has a baby, family member in terminal illness or is wanting to spend more time finding a cure for cancer on the weekends. No one requests weekends off with the excuse that weekends suck cock and no one wants to work one.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
sadly you should have sucked up the last 16 days, i did this at my first job at stop n shop, did the open availability for the first 3 months then after that told them i could only work 6am-12 during the week and they couldent do shit, i guess i got kinda lucky though the person that worked those shifts ended up quitting.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
How long have you worked there? Also how many employees does your company have? Should have checked if you were eligible for FMLA.

Szlia

I think the main mistake here is to not have anticipated that it would be a problem and, as such, should have been presented to the boss with care and, ideally, with a solution (you should have looked for someone who would have been ok to switch schedule with you or something). Silver lining: it's better to learn that at an entry level job you don't care about than at position you enjoy.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I think the main mistake here is to not have anticipated that it would be a problem and, as such, should have been presented to the boss with care and, ideally, with a solution (you should have looked for someone who would have been ok to switch schedule with you or something).
I agree. It's not something I could really anticipate, however. The girlfriend's job offer was something we were both completely not expecting. I approached my manager with this initially, letting her know well in advance that my girlfriend was accepting the offer and putting in her 2 weeks, so I'd be able to work weekends for the next 2 weeks and still have completely open availability during the week after that.

Initially, when I was hired, they said they could only guarantee me 20 hours a week, more depending on business needs. When I approached her with this, right away I could tell that she was completely pissed off. Her response was, "I'm not going to be able to give youanyhours!", in a very snarky way. Fine, it's understandable that she'd be upset that this came so suddenly. I even said, "No, I understand. I apologize that this is so sudden and out of left field. It wasn't an opportunity we were expecting to come through, but it's really great for her. I'll still have open availability during the week and do my best to find child care on the weekends asap". She then launched into, "Well...can you do 5 hours of availability on each day?", to which I responded, "I'm not entirely sure, let me talk with her and we'll see what we can do..". After that, she said, "It'd be better for you if you did..", in another really snarky tone. At this point, I knew that this was her "threat" to me potentially losing my job.

So, the next day I came in and let her know that we had discussed it and we just couldn't really make the times work. She was a shitload nicer this time, saying, "Well, I'm glad you guys discussed it. I'll see if maybe I can drop you down to a part-time 12 and maybe do a few nights a week". To which I responded, "Yeah, that's fine. Whatever hours you're able to give me during the week will be fine..". I figured that they'd drop me down to 12 hours a week, during coverage lapses and such, which would have been completely ok with me, while I looked for child care. Then I got hit with the scenario above, about a week or so later. Friday was my last day, I talked with her and apologized again for everything being so sudden. She said, "Oh, don't worry hun! We loved having you! If your availability ever changes, please reapply because you're a great worker and I'd take you back in a heartbeat!".

Like I said, I understand how retail works. I totally get that they want full availability, because it makes their jobs easier. They can also usually get it, because their potential employee pool is so large. It just rustled my jimmes, because it was the first job that I had ever been "let go" from. It also made little sense to me, since there is ahugelack of coverage. Especially on the weekdays, during early morning-late afternoon. I was the only associate on the floor during Memorial Day, to give you an idea of how badly they lack coverage during the weekdays. Weekends didn't seem to have nearly the same coverage issue, except for maybe Sunday and the morning hours.

Replican_sl

shitlord
Yeah dude uh....this is 100% on you.

I spent 10 years in retail.

You've only been there less than three months and you had an availability change. When you are a hiring manager in retail you have folks who have been there longer with set schedules. That you want to keep. Not someone who has been there like 2 months. You told them at the time you were hired you had open availability. So that they could continue to schedule their existing folks in a status quo kind of way. How many people do you think they have that want weekends off? How many people do you think they see start with 'open availability' that once hired 'need an availability change'?

You yourself said you were a supervisor in retail. This is the way things work. I don't really know why you're surprised. I would have absolutely fired you too.
This is right on the money. You were hired to work a certain schedule, and now you can't. Bye. Would you have been hired in the first place if you said upfront you couldn't work weekends?