Firefall

Elidroth_sl

shitlord
I'm enjoying it more the more I play it. I'm running the base Assault frame right now. Don't really feel like spending money to get any other frames yet.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Did this game do a complete 180? When i was in beta before it was so boring that i only played a day.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
It used to be that you could unlock other frames through advancement of your currently owned frames. I'm not sure if that's still the case. Some stuff is a little broken right now though, and they're preparing a lot of bug fixes for the official release.

The players should unlock the new raids within a few weeks, giving people something significant to coordinate towards.

Helldiver

Bronze Knight of the Realm
It used to be that you could unlock other frames through advancement of your currently owned frames..
Pretty much, as you level up a frame you gain Pilot tokens. Once you have enough of these you can buy a frame. These can take a while to accrue though, so if you're dead set on a specific frame you can just buy it outright from the cash shop.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Did this game do a complete 180? When i was in beta before it was so boring that i only played a day.
I've been playing it the last few days and while the landscape of the starting area is largely the same, the content seems a bit revamped. There's still stupid shit like thumping, but there's a primary goal instead of 'run around and kill shit' as well. There's a crafting system (with no professions, thank gawd). I think the game needed that extra bit of things to do when it was in beta 2 years ago, and it seems largely improved and polished now because they integrated what the game needed. Oh, they got rid of that durability and armor breaking premium cash shop repair shit they were promising. I'm glad they removed that, nothing says fuck you to your customers like charging $5 for a critical game component (keeping your armor).

From a coding standpoint I like how it's set up. JSON API and try/catch/asserts on practically every instance that could crash the game, which means that if there is a big crash bug or something that shouldn't be happening that could cause an issue, it's reported as it happens instead of just crashing the game. Wish more games were coded with this level of ingenuity beyond "Oh, your client's fucked, better ship the dmp off to a log server and close it down!"

I heard someone in beta got something like $500-5000 for making a cheat and submitting it to the devs as well. That's really damn neat too.

Overall I am really impressed with the game, and I'm likely going to purchase the starter pack at minimum. Whether the game holds up at endgame is irrelevant at this point, it's not that type of game. You don't play borderlands for the endgame, why would you play this game for that?

Grimsark

Tried out the Assault frame for a few hours last night and I now understand why they made that frame the default. The AoE primary is nice and hits hard.
But I get tired of the constant non-stop action. maybe I am just lazy, but there is something less brain fatiguing to letting turrets do half the work. Bastion, FTW.
wink.png

Also, I like the idea of thumping. You get to choose your mission location, and get a nice chunk of experience for the trouble. Unless you have a top tier vehicle, having to traverse 1K to 3K distances between 2 or more quest way-points is infuriating. It doesn't happen often, but does happen enough. I had one quest have me run between Thump Dump and Sunken Shore (whatever that name is) TWICE. Lucky there is a drop ship service between those two locations and I knew that... Others, may have actually RUN that entire distance in frustration.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
He's still being too kind to the game. Guy has a huge hard-on for Firefall. I'd give it a 5/10 atm. Perhaps when the new content is unlocked it'll be 6+. A lot of the "new hotness" he's mentioning there doesn't work properly atm.

Grimsark

He's still being too kind to the game. Guy has a huge hard-on for Firefall. I'd give it a 5/10 atm. Perhaps when the new content is unlocked it'll be 6+. A lot of the "new hotness" he's mentioning there doesn't work properly atm.
I haven't seen but maybe the first 20% of the game and haven't noticed many broken things. What exactly are you referring to as not functioning?

Im close to buying this, but dont want to waste my time with some Pay to win game, is it similar to path of exile or straight up PTW

Im seeing advanced battleframes unlocked with the 100$ edition

Hesitating between that and archage atm, need something new

Grimsark

Im close to buying this, but dont want to waste my time with some Pay to win game, is it similar to path of exile or straight up PTW

From what I have seen, so far, there are free alternatives to pretty much everything, if you are willing to sink the time into getting it. Including collecting Red Beans (The real money currency). It all revolves around credit exchanging and using the markets. You can also unlock advanced frames with points you earn as you max out the levels of other already unlocked battle frames.

I would recommend, at a minimum, buying yourself the motorcycle for 175 Red Beans. The zones in this game are quite large and you will be traveling a LOT.

From what I have seen, so far, there are free alternatives to pretty much everything, if you are willing to sink the time into getting it. Including collecting Red Beans (The real money currency). It all revolves around credit exchanging and using the markets. You can also unlock advanced frames with points you earn as you max out the levels of other already unlocked battle frames.

I would recommend, at a minimum, buying yourself the motorcycle for 175 Red Beans. The zones in this game are quite large and you will be traveling a LOT.
So say i buy the game, how much time to farm 75 beans as the 30$ bundle gives me 100. Will also play with a bud if i get into it and wondering now how much time 175 beans takes to farm

Nija

<Silver Donator>
I haven't seen but maybe the first 20% of the game and haven't noticed many broken things. What exactly are you referring to as not functioning?
The first 20% of the game is 99.95% of the game. At least it's been that way for almost 3 years.

All the crap they talk about doesn't really exist.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I'm not trying to be inflammatory. I have high hopes for the game.

You need to understand that New Eden (aka Coral Forest) is a well curated environment that has seen over a year's worth of beta testing and refinement. Sertao, the 28-35 area, is nowhere near as developed, and Devil's Tusk is far from fully operational. ARES missions are rare and Jobs are often broken in Sertao and Devil's Tusk. What does exist in Devil's Tusk has already been adjusted a few times in the last week. As you advance your frames and explore the new and refurbished high end areas you'll see the difference in development time that they've received.

No idea flower. I rarely bother with beans. They're not necessary, just convenient. In this, I have a lot of appreciation for Red 5. Little of significance is unobtainable in-game, but some of it does have to be bought from people that use beans.

Grimsark

Sorry if my question came off as confrontational. I am genuinely curious, as I feared the fact that leaving New Eden would result in a diminished experience.
If there is anything else that is unusable or broken, I'd like to know before I attempt to use them.
wink.png

Caliane

Most of us that were on the fence with this game, turned of all caring, when allegations of artists, etc not being paid, and fired, were brought out. And in general "hostile work enviroment".
Its not just a barely functioning game. its an incredibly unethical managment.

sebur

Bronze Squire

It certainly isn't pay to win but based upon your experience with MMOs you might become bored really fast. Nothing really new or different here. I play this off and on since my friend insists on playing it but I often find myself pulling up hearthstone on the 2nd monitor to stop from being bored.

Sort of a PVE planetside where it looks like you can go anywhere you want, but they put xp caps on mobs so if you try to go to a lvl20 zone as a 12, youll get like 3xp per mob instead of 75-500

This guy broke it down on steam forums

My review on the Forums because I don't have it on steam. :: Firefall General Discussions

Got a game breaking bug right now that prevents me from shooting my primary weapon, 3 day queue on support, totally regret buying this lol (issue was on my end, game still not all that unfortunately)