Firefall

Grimsark

The way I see it... Feature creep and investor angst was about to kill the entire project. But, a complete gutting and mainstreaming of the game, got them an extension of funds, and an actual release date.

If the original vision was so important, they should have set their 'release' sights lower, earlier, and expanded content as the game grew, like EVE Online did. (NO ONE expected EVE to survive, let alone THRIVE the way it has)

Personally I am enjoying my time with it a lot more than I expected. No I don't particularly enjoy the crafting system, nor the limited customization of abilities, etc... But then, the actual game play makes up for that, to me. Bonus being, I don't have to pay for any of it if I choose not to, and I can still play as often as I want. I have already clocked 42 hours in game (by Steam) and starting next week, I will have even more reason to play as my nephew will be able to get in.

I went into this game expecting a bland shooter I could play with a teenager, and instead found something I enjoy.
To each there own.
wink.png

Heallun

Lord Nagafen Raider
The way I see it... Feature creep and investor angst was about to kill the entire project. But, a complete gutting and mainstreaming of the game, got them an extension of funds, and an actual release date.

If the original vision was so important, they should have set their 'release' sights lower, earlier, and expanded content as the game grew, like EVE Online did. (NO ONE expected EVE to survive, let alone THRIVE the way it has)

Personally I am enjoying my time with it a lot more than I expected. No I don't particularly enjoy the crafting system, nor the limited customization of abilities, etc... But then, the actual game play makes up for that, to me. Bonus being, I don't have to pay for any of it if I choose not to, and I can still play as often as I want. I have already clocked 42 hours in game (by Steam) and starting next week, I will have even more reason to play as my nephew will be able to get in.

I went into this game expecting a bland shooter I could play with a teenager, and instead found something I enjoy.
To each there own.
wink.png
The game is pretty fun, but I find my actual support to be incredibly lacking as a biotech compared to 2 years ago. Even with dragonfly abilities and -recharge mods, everything I have is too ineffective and on too long of a cooldown. They gutted healing in dis game pretty bad. I miss my healy ball :p

GrizzlyCL

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm having a good time playing a recluse. Class is very overpowered right now and I'm wiling to bet its one of the only classes that can solo at level squad thumpers which I've done a few times unless the chosen show up in which case I have to pick up the thumper and kill the chosen. With the DPS tracker addon I do between 1-5k dps (lvl 16) depending on how many mobs there are and I leech 10% of dmg as healing. Its pretty rediculous.

I'm ok with the crafting design for now. I make the lvl 6 weapon mods in bulk and then salvage them. I can make about 15 a minute and when you salvage them you get about half of your cysite back 130-150 research points per and about 1/4 total salvaged in copper circuits. Sometimes you'll get a green crafting item too. Not sure if this method is retarded or not but it works for me.

I'm Zeomer in game if anyone wants to group.

Heallun

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm having a good time playing a recluse. Class is very overpowered right now and I'm wiling to bet its one of the only classes that can solo at level squad thumpers which I've done a few times unless the chosen show up in which case I have to pick up the thumper and kill the chosen. With the DPS tracker addon I do between 1-5k dps (lvl 16) depending on how many mobs there are and I leech 10% of dmg as healing. Its pretty rediculous.

I'm ok with the crafting design for now. I make the lvl 6 weapon mods in bulk and then salvage them. I can make about 15 a minute and when you salvage them you get about half of your cysite back 130-150 research points per and about 1/4 total salvaged in copper circuits. Sometimes you'll get a green crafting item too. Not sure if this method is retarded or not but it works for me.

I'm Zeomer in game if anyone wants to group.
You buy the recluse or already have 40 frames or what? Trying to find the easiest way to get a dragonfly and most seem to just tell me to get to 40 and get a dragonfly. The crystite to credits for pilot licenses just aren't possible at the level I am (17-ish)

GrizzlyCL

Lord Nagafen Raider
I got the digital pack ($20?) and it came with enough red beans to buy recluse so its only advanced frame I have. Otherwise I think you have to level a standard frame to 40 to get pilot license. Or I guess farm cysite for credits. This game isn't pay 2 win but it does require some amount of payment to be enjoyable imo.

Heallun

Lord Nagafen Raider
I got the digital pack ($20?) and it came with enough red beans to buy recluse so its only advanced frame I have. Otherwise I think you have to level a standard frame to 40 to get pilot license. Or I guess farm cysite for credits. This game isn't pay 2 win but it does require some amount of payment to be enjoyable imo.
Eh, it's manageable with just the biotech. I'm just wondering where the usual group content is. Thumpers, I guess. There just doesn't seem to be very good group mechanics in general in this. And did they strip the pvp entirely?

Sabbat

Trakanon Raider
ARES Missions (not job boards) are decent group content. The instance missions like Blackwater Anomaly (BWA), while soloable, are best in a group. Rolling around in Devil's Tusk with a partner in crime or 3 bouncing between Incursions, ARES missions and the odd thumper is a great time.

PvP is now limited to Open World PvP (and the Holmgang contest in Sunken Harbour) which takes place in Broken Peninsula.

Leveled my Firecat (assault) to 40 yesterday, and started work on my Rhino that I bought with the tokens to get a perk I'm after, then onto the Tigerclaw for its level 40 perk and things should be fun.

Took me 2hrs, 33mins to solo BWA at 24, with the final boss taking about 33 minutes. I should be able to do it a touch faster now that I've got a clue what's going on... that damn near area wide laser beam of rape had me slamming my face into the keyboard in frustration. Oh god, those Necro weapons are soooo good. Did BWA HC at 39 with a group and finished it in 42 minutes.

Grimsark

Damn. I was going to play a Dragonfly with my nephew but now I am thinking Recluse... Hmmmm.

Anyone here in a decent army that can invite me? Zeomer in game.
Ditto that. I enjoy soloing but wouldn't mind having something else to do with regular groups.

edit:
Is it just me, or is the intro music just, absolutely great?

GrizzlyCL

Lord Nagafen Raider
whats the army called? I'll apply on the army finder. Also, on the campaign missions... Do they scale in difficulty/reward based on players in the group? I've done them all by myself and I kinda figured they were the games 'dungeons' but i'm pretty sure any class could do them solo so I'm guessing they're just like quest instances idk

Myst

Peasant
I used to play the game in its very early stages, and recently picked it up again. I love snipers and was thinking of purchasing the starter pack and using the 100red beans for the Nighthawk. How good are they in pve solo?

GrizzlyCL

Lord Nagafen Raider
I think nighthawk can do BWA instance) the fastest solo because the can skip lots of enemies with their abilities. I tried snipers but wasnt very good because npc movement can be very erratic.

Grimsark

Just sharing my experience...

48 hours in, and I am finely feeling the burn. Once my primary class was past Lv20 I noticed a significant reduction in level speed, and the monotony of the job boards began to feel more like a grind and less like a plot/story. (I got my Engineer to 14, and my Bastion to 24)

I'll hand it to them. They hooked me in with the 1-10 play, and sold me into paying for a few things that made the 10-20 not so slow (advanced frame 100RB & Vehicle 175RB) and it worked... But now I am sufficiently worn out.

Its very possible that I simply have not seen the more synergistic level of play, where healers and support frames actually matter at all to the outcome of a battle, but I'm not going to hold my breath. And at this point, nor would I be surprised if they simply don't exist.

That's not to say I dislike the game or anything. But I am pretty sure I'll only be infrequently playing solo, or with my nephew, from now on. Good thing its F2P.
wink.png

GrizzlyCL

Lord Nagafen Raider
I got my recluse to 27 and there does seem to be less random events in the second world zone (Sertao?). Also, as in most MMOs, the only point to heal people or play support in general is to keep them alive to beat content (and also if you enjoy it). So far I have not seen any content that requires healing to beat. All of the non-hardcore campaign missions can be soloed. All the random events and job boards can be soloed. The only thing I can think of that requires more than one person, mainly for dps increase, is squad thumping in an at level area. Even then, its not like healing or support characters are required as everyone has consumables and the monsters constantly drop health/ammo packs. These packs are why we don't see a lot of support interraction because everyone can just pew pew and pick up packs. Don't need a healer followin you around like most mmos.

I reallllly wish they had some kind of tiered pvp available. I dont see why they can't just have multiple broken peninsula instances maybe 10-20, 20-30 and then the anything goes 1-40. I like shooting creepy crawlies n all but I would really like to mess someone up. Don't need any pvp rewards or gear just let me go do some world pvp where everyone else isnt level 40.

Nija

<Silver Donator>
They had PVP in the beta, but it was a complete mess.

Closest thing to it was the instagib mode for quake if you can remember that.

Of course our Recluses were amazingly overpowered. Our poison abilities have had their area reduced by something like 3x - you used to be be able to clear an entire room with one shot.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
The lack of solid class interdependency and hard roles is an ongoing complaint I have with the game design. There is very little discouraging you from bringing 5, 10, or 20 of whatever is OP at the moment with maybe 1 other class for some weak assist to the rest. And that's not new.