Firefall

Soriak_sl

shitlord
I haven't played before, so I can't comment on the state prior to open beta. However, even now there seems to be a tremendous lack of content. After the tutorial, there's just no guidance on what to do next. I presume it's mining resources to gain exp and upgrade your gear, but I have no idea what I should be working toward. In chat, some people also suggested (or that's the way I read it) that the effect of most of the upgrades has not yet been implemented. So upgrading gear may not even be of any use... and given that this is the only thing you can do in the game (that I have found), that's really weird.

IIRC Red 5 Studios closed their Chinese office over four years ago. This was the studio that was actually assigned to creating most of the content / new assets, etc. Couple that with retooling the game from scratch every few months and you will begin to understand why its in the shape it is. Why Tencent (their new financial overlords) allows them to continue the way they have is kind of boggling, actually.

Soriak_sl

shitlord
It's really quite a shame, because the combat so far is fun -- or maybe that's just reflective of my demand for a MMO shooter. Maybe I should just pick up Defiance *sigh*.

Soriak_sl

shitlord
Ok, I spent two hours mining (or thumping) for resources with a group. That was really awesome -- a ring event on steroids with mobs rushing pretty much non-stop. I picked an engineer (you can switch classes at any time and your experience is class-based, so it's your class that gains exp and not your character) and pretty much non-stop fired my remotely-detonated mines and made them go boom. AE damage is the win.

I can't say enough how this system of mining needs to be copied by other games ASAP. Having some device do the mining that attracts local wildlife and you have to defend it... beats running around and clicking on objects to "mine" them.

At some point, some weird tornado thing showed up and we were able to kill the things that caused it. Then we got sucked into a wormhole and mobs started rushing at us. We got wiped there and I'm not sure what the objective would have been...

So yeah, the game is much more fun in a group. Who would have thought.

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>
Ok, I spent two hours mining (or thumping) for resources with a group. That was really awesome -- a ring event on steroids with mobs rushing pretty much non-stop. I picked an engineer (you can switch classes at any time and your experience is class-based, so it's your class that gains exp and not your character) and pretty much non-stop fired my remotely-detonated mines and made them go boom. AE damage is the win.

I can't say enough how this system of mining needs to be copied by other games ASAP. Having some device do the mining that attracts local wildlife and you have to defend it... beats running around and clicking on objects to "mine" them.

At some point, some weird tornado thing showed up and we were able to kill the things that caused it. Then we got sucked into a wormhole and mobs started rushing at us. We got wiped there and I'm not sure what the objective would have been...

So yeah, the game is much more fun in a group. Who would have thought.
I started playing a few days ago and joined a friend who plays a lot. We got grouped up with a full squad and found some large thumpers to defend. In between thumpers we went to do the random level 4-5 AERS missions that pop up around the map (purple icons). We also did a few defends on some areas that were flashing red on the map, it seems like you just get waves of mobs attacking an area and they try to take the SIN tower down. We had non-stop action for a few hours before the group split and I logged off. It was a good time.

The objective inside the tornado is to get out of it. You can use your jump pack to climb up the debris to reach the exit at the top. The mobs at the bottom continuously grow in numbers and clouds start to block your vision. You get exp for reaching the exit but if you miss a jump and fall you have to fight your way back to the point where you can climb.

So far I've only played the Dreadnaught and Infiltrator frames. The Infiltrator feels way overpowered especially if you have a friend playing a medic following you.

I'm liking it so far but I can see it getting boring without the map expanding or new missions being added.

bayr_sl

shitlord
The fact that it sucks terribly and they haven't done anything in the past year to suggest they will ever improve it has killed it for me

skribble

Golden Knight of the Realm
anyone have a key for this still they wouldn't mind tossing my way ? have some free time this weekend

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
gimme your email address and I'll hook you up. Got one more if anyone else wants to check it out.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah I do too in case of. Game goes open beta next week their spam mail told me though.

Soriak_sl

shitlord
For those who haven't played in a while, they recently added pockets with new resources and you need to do missions/do some crafting to get keys to go there. There's also progression in that you can get new classes after leveling up the "basic" classes. You then have to research (costs cash) new recipes and craft your gear. Crafted gear breaks after some repairs, and I believe higher level gear breaks quicker. So there is some resource gathering just to keep your equipment in tact. That said, you also get resources for completing missions, so you never have to "mine" if you don't want to.

Overall, I find the game pretty fun. It's really great if you manage to group up. Worth checking out for a couple hours, at least, now that open beta is launching (midnight PST).

ZProtoss

Golden Squire
For those who haven't played in a while, they recently added pockets with new resources and you need to do missions/do some crafting to get keys to go there. There's also progression in that you can get new classes after leveling up the "basic" classes. You then have to research (costs cash) new recipes and craft your gear. Crafted gear breaks after some repairs, and I believe higher level gear breaks quicker. So there is some resource gathering just to keep your equipment in tact. That said, you also get resources for completing missions, so you never have to "mine" if you don't want to.

Overall, I find the game pretty fun. It's really great if you manage to group up. Worth checking out for a couple hours, at least, now that open beta is launching (midnight PST).
I'm just going to reiterate to anyone who is bored enough to actually try the game: The content you see in the beginning is essentially all the content there is in the game. There's never any payoff for anything you do, besides increasing your stats in the most marginal and boring of ways.

ZProtoss

Golden Squire
Wow. Talk about taking a dump on the people who bought the founder's pack for the game.

https://accounts.firefallthegame.com...pecialty_packs

Instead of adding a proper Town Portal item, they gated it behind a 100 dollar premium package. What's more, that 100 dollar premium package actually gives peoplemorethan the 100 dollar founder's pack. Note that the original people who bought the 100 dollar founder's pack do not get that TP item. Pretty low, even for a company in desperation mode. Jesus.

Troll_sl

shitlord
Yeah. After the "treats employees like shit" news and their inability to actually add content, I dropped this shit like a mixed-breed baby.

MsBehavn_sl

has an outie
This is probably the worst MMO I've played in recent memory... it's absolutely awful. Never has a game had an introduction tutorial that failed to explain itself properly as bad this.