Fires of Heaven - The good, the bad, and the whatever else.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
People keep saying that pulling as a monk took skill. It took no fucking skill. Shuriken, feign the absolute second it hits, stand and shuriken. Voila, fucking single.

At least, thats how it used to work. They fixed that shit a long time ago.

sebur

Bronze Squire
I thought so. I remember having a couple of conversations I believe around gear/wiz shit when I switched to my wizard. Ya that manaburn team was great lol.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i played my twink ikky monk a few months ago (go Sleestack!) and i was messing around in sol b at lv 44 and it wasnt easy to solo pull LDCs and those other nasty spiders. the pathing in there is a sonofa bitch and forget getting those sonic bats solo. so no, it isnt as easy as throwing a shuriken and hitting fd

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Surprised so many people remember sleestakk... and fondly it seems to... I really liked the guy, but his rep on Veeshan was shit when he went to legends. He was an Ikky war, not a monk also. Being in Pravus back then it seemed the rest of the server hated us aside from some foh people.

Also, im midly disappointed we have not heard some of the EQ stories people told me back when I was in the wow guild. I recall one with a girl fucking 6 foh members and some other guy being in love with her. Lots of other funny ones but I don't recall the deets.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Surprised so many people remember sleestakk... and fondly it seems to... I really liked the guy, but his rep on Veeshan was shit when he went to legends. He was an Ikky war, not a monk also. Being in Pravus back then it seemed the rest of the server hated us aside from some foh people.

Also, im midly disappointed we have not heard some of the EQ stories people told me back when I was in the wow guild. I recall one with a girl fucking 6 foh members and some other guy being in love with her. Lots of other funny ones but I don't recall the deets.
im sorry, i meant, Sleestack is the name of my iksar monk twink on emarr. i made the char before kunark came out on a human to reserve it, then when kunark went live (or soon afterward) i deleted the char and rerolled (hehe) into the iksar monk that i wanted

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
People keep saying that pulling as a monk took skill. It took no fucking skill. Shuriken, feign the absolute second it hits, stand and shuriken. Voila, fucking single.

Way more to it than that

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Lol at that sig, I never noticed it. Did Requiem really try to take on Furor at the end there?
I really don't know the specifics but it was funny as fuck to see Req blow a gasket there.

I also can't believe Jice fucking booted me for trying to help him gear up an entire guild of gaming bads.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Exploit early, exploit often. Simple bug testing really. If others were too stupid to figure it out, not your problem.
A very familiar motto of an old guild I used to be in. Perfect attitude to have for early BWL.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Out of curiosity, the stories of "FoH being asked not to achieve server-wide firsts..." in the early stages of Vanilla were in fact, not true?

Rais

Trakanon Raider
I do remember this one chick who was a gf of a warrior in guild. Can't remember his name Bakara sp?. Dwarf warrior. We were attempting to kill Arry for one of the first times(maybe it was the first time) after a patch and he mentions she is getting on her webcam and has a banana. The patch broke something so you couldn't tab/get out of eq. Next thing you knew more than half the raid was LD and this chick was checking her uterus with the banana.

I also remember brad coming into vp and telling us treasure will spawn if you killed Phara Dar or someshit. Should have known the dude had a drug problem right then and there.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Well, there was always the Mecha-Cazic story. Both from Veeshan, involving FoH and Celestial Tomb.

The Legendary Mecha-Cazic
Around the time of late-Velious or early-Luclin, the god of Fear, Cazic Thule was buffed and some amazing loot was added to his table, making him once again a contested target for the servers top guilds. Late one night, the server goes down for an emergency reset. Celestial Tomb, already raiding Plane of Growth, knows this is our chance to finally get a shot at him. The calls go out to port to Feerrott. FoH showed up also, with a modest effort of maybe a group or two, and dispersed shortly after they saw the CT zerg flooding over the forest, causing trains and havoc everywhere they went.

Now, I need to break from the story for a moment and introduce Xerxes, one of Furor's FoH crony's. He was Iksar Necro and a real devious mother fucker. Level 60 Iksar Necros were rarer than the Ancient Cyclops at that point and he just so happened to be a worshiper of Cazic Thule.

He was ominously present with us around the time we all zoned in.

Later, Xerxes was running around Fear, causing trains and mischief, but he never sent the hoards of fetid fiends, glare lords, and turmoil toads towards any CT groups. We all expected mass trains, but they never came. After a while, /who Xerxes came up blank and we continued with the task at hand. When we finally cleared enough to behold Cazic, he strangely was dual wielding a weapon that looked like a Bloodfire and a Katana. New weapons?! The raid started to buzz with excitement. The zergs were lined up, buffed up, given a quick pep talk and sent streaming in to be snared and smashed back. As a Shaman, I had the important job of Slowing Cazic. Even with Malo and Tash, it would only land one in maybe 5 tries. It must have been my lucky night because, first cast we see the message, "Cazic Thule begins to yawn." Great, now I can go patch heal for the next 3 minutes... but wait, the main tank was just mowed down, and 3 more rogues in the blink of an eye. A cleric is summoned, dead. A Wizard is summoned, dead. What the fuck? The next tank gets agro and screams, "He's not slowed!". Not only was he not slowed, but he seemed to have Haste. The entire raid was a wipe.

Someone in Guild Chat says, "Xerxes fucked us. He gave Cazic a self-dispelling sword and a haste sword." It is like 1:45am at this point and the zerg mob was grumbling. Guild leadership quelled the masses and decided we could not give this target up. Desperate times call for desperate measures and the call went out, "bind in zone." We all gave each other an uneasy look, and you had the crazy zealots immediately dropping to their asses and memorizing Bind. Jesus fucking christ, the sane (and gainfully employed) among us got the cold sweats.

The legend has it that Cazic piled the bodies sky high, with most of the Celestial Tomb's zerg leaving 4-5 naked bodies each upon the landscape. Truthfully... in reality... it was more like 10-15 bodies each. It was 2 to 3 levels each. We threw waive upon bloody waive to the feet of Cazic. It was the second coming of hamburger hill. We got him down to 4%, but alas he won the day.

It was past 2:45am at that point and about half the guild just said "fuck it" and logged on the spot. The rest rezzed up as best they could. We were all in shock and awe for what had just happened.

The next day Flame Vault exploded, with CT leadership demanding Xerxes must die and claiming it was not the act of one lone terrorist, but a FoH guild-wide conspiracy. FoH in turn posted a classic news article where a mad Gnome Scientist had created the ultimate weapon to eradicate the Zerg once and for all, MECHA-CAZIC. They had screenshots of the apocalyptic creation, bathing in the corpses of hundreds of CT zergs. With enough tears and threats being thrown back and forth, Verant actually suspended Xerxes a week for the stunt.

Veeshan, we know drama.
~Bloodmoon, Barbarian Shaman of Celestial Tomb, '99-'01
This was the kind of shit CT put up with weekly. Most of us had a good sense of humor about it. Others, /cough Xanupox, flipped the fuck out. Like, threatening to have his Air Force pals para-drop onto Krurks roof one night and pay him a little visit. lol

belu

Lord Nagafen Raider
In my opinion, the casuals really did a number on WoW/Furor's idea's as he wanted to make encounters difficult, yet doable but the backlash by the disorganized/fail masses always created a placating scenario toward them.

I don't know if any of you guys remember but the original C'Thun encounter was pretty much spearheaded by him only to be complained about by all except the best guilds in WoW and was incredibly nerfed. This is something I have personally come to expect in MMO games at this point. In other words, the encounters that take the most coordination and force players to execute have been replaced by a "medals for all!" mentality.

On Topic though, talk about a blast from the past. Jice, Celestial Tomb, Sleestak, etc.
I think only Fury or vodka saw C'Thun before us. I just looked up the dates to see how long it actually took - we got him to phase 2 on the 19th of Feb and didn't actually kill him until the 26th of April, with many many nights of attempts and 20 min corpse runs in between. We spoke to Furor at the time and he was an asshole about it. Then he got fixed first for the Euros, and there also wasn't an instance reset. C'Thun was a fucking shit show.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Well, there was always the Mecha-Cazic story. Both from Veeshan, involving FoH and Celestial Tomb.

The Legendary Mecha-Cazic
Around the time of late-Velious or early-Luclin, the god of Fear, Cazic Thule was buffed and some amazing loot was added to his table, making him once again a contested target for the servers top guilds. Late one night, the server goes down for an emergency reset. Celestial Tomb, already raiding Plane of Growth, knows this is our chance to finally get a shot at him. The calls go out to port to Feerrott. FoH showed up also, with a modest effort of maybe a group or two, and dispersed shortly after they saw the CT zerg flooding over the forest, causing trains and havoc everywhere they went.

Now, I need to break from the story for a moment and introduce Xerxes, one of Furor's FoH crony's. He was Iksar Necro and a real devious mother fucker. Level 60 Iksar Necros were rarer than the Ancient Cyclops at that point and he just so happened to be a worshiper of Cazic Thule.

He was ominously present with us around the time we all zoned in.

Later, Xerxes was running around Fear, causing trains and mischief, but he never sent the hoards of fetid fiends, glare lords, and turmoil toads towards any CT groups. We all expected mass trains, but they never came. After a while, /who Xerxes came up blank and we continued with the task at hand. When we finally cleared enough to behold Cazic, he strangely was dual wielding a weapon that looked like a Bloodfire and a Katana. New weapons?! The raid started to buzz with excitement. The zergs were lined up, buffed up, given a quick pep talk and sent streaming in to be snared and smashed back. As a Shaman, I had the important job of Slowing Cazic. Even with Malo and Tash, it would only land one in maybe 5 tries. It must have been my lucky night because, first cast we see the message, "Cazic Thule begins to yawn." Great, now I can go patch heal for the next 3 minutes... but wait, the main tank was just mowed down, and 3 more rogues in the blink of an eye. A cleric is summoned, dead. A Wizard is summoned, dead. What the fuck? The next tank gets agro and screams, "He's not slowed!". Not only was he not slowed, but he seemed to have Haste. The entire raid was a wipe.

Someone in Guild Chat says, "Xerxes fucked us. He gave Cazic a self-dispelling sword and a haste sword." It is like 1:45am at this point and the zerg mob was grumbling. Guild leadership quelled the masses and decided we could not give this target up. Desperate times call for desperate measures and the call went out, "bind in zone." We all gave each other an uneasy look, and you had the crazy zealots immediately dropping to their asses and memorizing Bind. Jesus fucking christ, the sane (and gainfully employed) among us got the cold sweats.

The legend has it that Cazic piled the bodies sky high, with most of the Celestial Tomb's zerg leaving 4-5 naked bodies each upon the landscape. Truthfully... in reality... it was more like 10-15 bodies each. It was 2 to 3 levels each. We threw waive upon bloody waive to the feet of Cazic. It was the second coming of hamburger hill. We got him down to 4%, but alas he won the day.

It was past 2:45am at that point and about half the guild just said "fuck it" and logged on the spot. The rest rezzed up as best they could. We were all in shock and awe for what had just happened.

The next day Flame Vault exploded, with CT leadership demanding Xerxes must die and claiming it was not the act of one lone terrorist, but a FoH guild-wide conspiracy. FoH in turn posted a classic news article where a mad Gnome Scientist had created the ultimate weapon to eradicate the Zerg once and for all, MECHA-CAZIC. They had screenshots of the apocalyptic creation, bathing in the corpses of hundreds of CT zergs. With enough tears and threats being thrown back and forth, Verant actually suspended Xerxes a week for the stunt.

Veeshan, we know drama.
~Bloodmoon, Barbarian Shaman of Celestial Tomb, '99-'01
This was the kind of shit CT put up with weekly. Most of us had a good sense of humor about it. Others, /cough Xanupox, flipped the fuck out. Like, threatening to have his Air Force pals para-drop onto Krurks roof one night and pay him a little visit. lol
Many Veeshan players moved to Saryrn including guilds like Celestial Tomb, Blood Reign and War Council. I believe Heaven and Earth also or it was formed on Saryrn. During Velious one of the greatest threads to be ever created on the forum Saryrn Tavern was when Ghar from HnE trained the outdoor dragon onto Order of The Phoenix. That thread was a huge flame fest. Ahh yes so many wonderful memories from the ole tavern. Here is some people talking about it.

My favorite blast furnace memory... in The Blast Furnace Forum

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Way more to it than that
Let me explain this: During the vanilla-PoP era mobs assisting each other was actually an ability. This ability had a cooldown of 6 seconds (what I can only assume was a technical limitation due to server ticks). If you could force the burn of this ability, you could single pull that same mob from a group of his friends without any other tricks. Bards/Monks were adept at this, due to feign/fm. So no, if you knew the trick, there wasn't way more to it than that.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>

That exploit is almost impossible to do on your own with anything that has a decent aggro range. Not to mention, you don't memwipe when you FD, so it would only work if you used your memwipe AA FD. With two monks, however, you could do that to pretty much any mob in the entire game all the way up through Omens of War. With a Bard, you could do it alone much easier with bellow/fading memories. Not sure if they ever fixed that.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
That exploit is almost impossible to do on your own with anything that has a decent aggro range. Not to mention, you don't memwipe when you FD, so it would only work if you used your memwipe AA FD. With two monks, however, you could do that to pretty much any mob in the entire game all the way up through Omens of War. With a Bard, you could do it alone much easier with bellow/fading memories. Not sure if they ever fixed that.
They did fix it, and you could do it solo if you timed it right. You have to feign the second the shuriken hits, so that they don't leave their spawn points. Insta-mem wipe.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah, we only ever did it in open enough spaces. When you have to split rooms of mobs in tight areas it's much harder for the monk to do it(solo or not). Either way, the timing and knowing how to do that would fall under some kind of skill. It's Everquest. The bar for "skill" is set very low. Pulling was a few mm above the bar.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
It was about knowing what mobs would do, when to call for a tag, knowing the tempo your guild/group could handle etc etc. It was fun as hell.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Hey, I agree. It was the only reason I played EQ as much and as long as I did. It was definitely a far more active role than most any other class, especially on early raids.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
@Fight re: Mechacazic-
I was actually the person who gave Xerexes the weapons. They both dropped in Kael and we were farming the area outside of the Giant King (Tormax?) where they both dropped for faction and quest armor (it used to drop there and we were one of like three pro-dragon guilds at the time) when he approached me. I gave him the weapons for free when he told me vaguely what he was going to do, because you guys had recently steamrolled a friend's ragefire spawn, as I recall. Not one of my proudest moments, but it sure was funny at the time.

Most of our guild's issues with CT were indirect. Any time we were farming the Dozer wing in ToV and the zergling rush zoned in, we would have to bail because of all the zone lag making it impossible for people to play, as one example. Also, due to your numbers a lot of your guys used the general channels to blab in the earlier days, which was just aweful to sit through if you happened to be in the same zone CT was raiding. There were a lot of things like that which I am sure never occurred to the CT rank and file how aggravating they were. The only good thing about the moon expansion was that everyone was spread out more so that crap basically stopped.

@Errn- Who were you on Veeshan? We had an exodus of some people who went to CoE when I got into some drama and punted Hayley back in the day, but the other 4-5 people I booted were all for things like ninjalooting, cheating, or being abusive to guildmates. Of course, I drank a lot during the tail end of Luclin, so anything is possible.....