Fires of Heaven - The good, the bad, and the whatever else.

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
rrr_img_78266.jpg

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
rrr_img_78287.png

Dug this up on VeeshanVault. Who hated Ixtlan? We were the salt of the earth! Even more surprising is actually Valhall. Those dudes were great.

sebur

Bronze Squire
Haha, Rune of War, I remember them, they were so useless. Valhall you had to watch, they were tricky due to having a time advantage at times because weren't they a foreign guild?

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
how did you FoH guys get so many uber guilds on one server? on emarr, it was just us Da`Kor/Magister and we had one other guild nipping our heals, but it wasnt anything serious, just guys wanting to be where we were no matter what that was. after those guys it was a euro guild which was semi casual and then there were a ton of random guilds trying to finish the previous expansion's content and still working on epics. emarr was almost as old as veeshan. i dont understand why that server was so crowded.

Rais

Trakanon Raider
There wasn't. It was FoH and a long distance to second. Yet second couldn't even break fear with a 40 person zerg during kunark. Velious was pretty much the same story. About a few months after we cleared TOV is when CT got their first dragon kill there iirc. The second guild was co-raiding with us and then half absorbed after furor quit for a while. Luclin it was back to kunark style rampage and after weeks/months of clearing vex thal and afk/auto attacking bosses ct finally moved in there at the end.

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
There wasn't. It was FoH and a long distance to second. Yet second couldn't even break fear with a 40 person zerg during kunark. Velious was pretty much the same story. About a few months after we cleared TOV is when CT got their first dragon kill there iirc. The second guild was co-raiding with us and then half absorbed after furor quit for a while. Luclin it was back to kunark style rampage and after weeks/months of clearing vex thal and afk/auto attacking bosses ct finally moved in there at the end.
Yeah there was a massive gap between FoH and anyone else. None of us in coe/ixtlan/cestus/pravus/companions ect.. were in "top guilds". IMO the talent was really diffused between the next 8-10 guilds. Competing with FoH was not really an option so the vitriol and competition between 2nd and 3rd tier guilds was especially heavy. Overall we prob had a larger numbers of those 2nd-3rd tier guilds then most servers. Besides CoT in it's prime zerg all of them were fairly small too.

Personally i disliked Ixtlan because it really pissed them off Pravus came back from the dead to basically pull even with them. They accused us of cheating when we killed cursed before them, Zerging despite having about the same numbers as them, and requiring help from FoH members among other crap. Veeshan vault was pretty intense.

it's hilarious how much guild/server drama I somehow recall from 12-15 years ago.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
It's funny someone mentioned elite LoL players attempting old EQ. The Skills required are so hilariously different.

Recently, Destiny a big time SC2 player decided to join EVE (A game with very simple mechanics like EQ). He created an instantly huge corp with his fans. Despite conquering a much more "complex" game hes been a joke at eve. Failing around and sucking at logistics, leading nerds, situational awareness ect.... He's apparently such a bad FCbrave newbiesjunior FCs often take over for him because he can not keep up at target calling, or seemingly comprehend the situation and react in fleet fights.

It's also a bit like comparing sports players of today to those of 80 or 100 years ago. Its not a valid comparison as everything as so different back then and players today have so many more advantages.
Comparing an extremely twitch based rts to eve?

iannis

Musty Nester
Go fish and five card stud are different games despite being played with the same deck of cards.

You would think a sc2 player would be good at logistics and quick reactive analysis though. At least I would. Maybe it's more like speed chess though, where the players focus more on the meta and sometimes get tricked with a clever micro.

sebur

Bronze Squire
Ya, FoH was by and far above the rest on Veeshan and most of the time the world. I enjoyed the smaller better guilds personally like Pravus etc which I was a part of. I would wager (aside from CT because I hate them) you had a lot of people spread across those other guilds that could have been in FoH if they wanted to put the time in but went another direction instead and lead/helped lead/carry the smaller guilds.

Warmuth

Molten Core Raider
Nah, fear was broken by us (War Council) and I'm sure others. The issue usually was FOH would break it on server resets etc.. most of the time and when other guilds got around to a fear raid it would often be a repops which FOH thought should be theirs. Caused some salt.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I think Enchanters showed the most skill, Bards not far behind, and Monks a little further down in difficulty. Back in Kunark time - some enchanter (Selena, maybe?) was who I thought was the best enchanter on Veeshan at that time. Leveled with her up to 60. She was always my first call and a Cleric named Grombar? to make a solid group. Which.. I think he was in FoH at the time? Or eventually joined? and who got me interested in 2002. Grombar (Under some other name now) is in PRX now, which was a cool surprise considering we hadnt talked in over a decade.

The rest of the classes seemed kind of basic to me. If you learned basic things about aggro and such, tanking was really f'n trivial and just let you stare at feet all day in a raid scenario. Complete Heal chains always seemed like a challenge, but not because it took skill - but because you were hoping and praying that none of your clerics would suffer from the shitty infrastructure of the Internet back then. Wizard, although boring, was the most relaxing class. In retrospect, I wish I would have played one so I could have done homework/studied more instead of the constant upkeep a tank and healer have to do.

All in all - skill in EverQuest was knowledge and reaction. Which, in all honesty, is the same skill set used in most other popular MMO's. The only types of MMO's that pull that and a lot more are ones like Darkfall or PVP in DAoC. When you see 4-5 people take out 10-15 people and there isnt a huge gap in skill points or level - you start to go into an amazed state of awe.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
You kind of oversimplify tanking and narrow it to MTing. You probably know that tanking in a group varied quite a bit depending on zone and group makeup, and IMHO offtanking and grabbing adds in raids could be a huge PITA as compared to being a MT and backing into a corner for the duration.

That said, post EQ1 tanking was more difficult, but to be honest that wasn't necessarily a good thing. Not because I or others couldn't do it, but because it's a fucking PITA half the time. I can remember feeling like a fucking bard in EQ1 during Vanilla WoW at times, which made me eat my words from EQ1. During EQ1 I had complained that War abilities were too simplistic, but in WoW the stance dancing and trying to juggle shit was just a pain and I ended up wanting a return towards a more EQ1~ish paradigm. If I wanted to PRASS BUTTONS nonstop like a dervish I'd go play an RTS. Playing GCD whack-a-mole can eat a dick.