3. $300 Best Buy gift card
4. $200 Best Buy gift card
5. $150 Best Buy gift card
6. $100 Best Buy gift card
7. $80 Best Buy gift card
8. $60 Best Buy gift card
9. $40 Best Buy gift card
10. $20 Best Buy gift card

Sucks that the 2nd place prize is worth more than the 1st. In fact, I'd pretty much take any prize for places 2-6 instead of the 1st place prize. Bastards.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
It's just a plain band one? If it's the metal band I think those MSRP for $450 - would make more sense if so. (Not that I would want to take 1st over 2nd for that though - I think reselling would be more than 3rd though)

Vaclav

As an alternative have you looked at the Chevy Volt? I bought one in November and have been very happy with it. Got it for 29 plus 7500 tax credit. Installed the charging station for 1200. 3000 miles driven and used 15 gallons of gas so far. Most of that is when all the charging stations at school are taken and I need to go on gas to get home (Roundtrip to school is 60 miles and only get 40 mile range on a charge)
Considering one, friend at one of my board game meetups that comes sporadically has one - so was going to ask him if there was any chance I could test drive his and if he could give me more details on how it's been working out for him.

[I didn't realize it had a backup ICE though - sounds so weird it uses any gas since I thought it was 100% electric not 99% with a backup]

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I literally don't know what to do with my money. I'm the first one in my immediate family to have a salary even approaching 6 figures and this kind of income is completely foreign to me. I've lived my entire adult life like a huge jew cooking rice and beans and just floating by paying bills, but now I've got a larger and larger surplus growing and I'm afraid I'll start doing stupid shit with it.

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
I literally don't know what to do with my money. I'm the first one in my immediate family to have a salary even approaching 6 figures and this kind of income is completely foreign to me. I've lived my entire adult life like a huge jew cooking rice and beans and just floating by paying bills, but now I've got a larger and larger surplus growing and I'm afraid I'll start doing stupid shit with it.
The the My New Dating Pool thread be your guide.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Start a business, or buy an existing business you think you can run better?

e20f9bb61abd2642cfda5ef4fdcdf0e0268d89b63419fefcb9f75ed889632a48.jpg

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Yea, but if that does well, then he's just right back to where he started

6d70cff1bc1f0e289f4d54d69c319061547f32aa.jpg
You can also just have a business for amusement of vanity's sake.

Someone I know is buying a local gaming store just because he wants it open more often and he makes 200k+ a year has no idea what to do with the money.

He doesn't care if the business loses money.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
My fridge is so damn full that i grabbed "unsalted cooking butter" insted of mozzorella cheese.

Worst Cheese and Crackers ever...

Nester

Vyemm Raider
How much do you have saved for retirement.....Pro tip, any number you give me is not enought.

If you are on the right track for retirement (time is more important than money) Get yourself some more payments, but something that is an asset, like a rental property (not a car)

Pollo

Silver Knight of the Realm
I have to turn a key to start my rental car and it doesn't have a USB port or Bluetooth. Fucking dark ages in Kentucky.

Vaclav

If you invest 30%, would you still have something left beyond that with how you budget? Investing 30% is usually a good rule of thumb once you're comfortable enough to - beyond that, it really depends on how you'd like to spend your life. Investing beyond 30% doesn't usually make sense to most investing consultants I've spoken to over the years though. [Been too long to quote the reasoning though, and do keep in mind this advice was coming to the wife and I being kidless - so if you're kidded it might vary]

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I'm single and currently renting, so my only real "plan" has just been to amass money so far and buy...something? House/condo/whatever, not really sure what. But that also largely depends on if I want to stay in Chicago long-term.

Could still live comfortably if I was investing 30% in whatever, I just don't even really know where to start with that. I guess I could dump 30% in to my companies 401k plan but that sounds kind of retarded.

Vaclav

401k if you're lazy about doing the research and such on your investments likely isn't horrid - if you care to spend the energy in monitoring them though, there's tons of other options. (I'm bad to ask on this stuff though, I don't micromanage mine since I've got family that does - just giving you the HR spiel)

As for amassing money for something - getting out of renting is ALWAYS sensible - likely even if you bought a place identical to yours the mortgage would be far less plus tax deductions on top of that, with the only real loss being that maintenance costs generally aren't included (although some condos do include it as part of the condo association) - but if you're at all handy or have handy friends or can tolerate minor issues maintenance costs can be almost nil. [or in newer construction they can be almost nil even if you are a stickler and use expensive repair services]

I'd start sketching out a plan of WHERE you want to be and go from there. Figure out your interests and align your plans to that. (i.e. if you want to vacation in warm areas a few months a year, consider buying a second home in Florida or similar - if you enjoy boating, look at investing into a boat... yada-yada)

With no actual goal in mind there's only mindless amassing that you can really do. So I'd start with soul-searching about goals.

Unidin

Molten Core Raider
Generally the most advantageous way to invest is in this order:

401k at work to company match (3%, 5%, whatever)
IRA to max ($5500/yr right now. If you hurry up you can still make a contribution for last year too)
401k to max
Regular brokerage account

Of course if you're saving for a house, get to 20% down payment as well.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Rent to max.
Minimum student loan payment
Utility bills when you can get to them
Expand your Ramen portfolio
Steal all your tv, movies and games
$700 phone

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
Went to Chipotle for Lunch and got a burrito bowl. Had to wait 5 minutes for white rice that isn't contaminated with Cilantro and then the bitch puts CHEESE on it instead of LETTUCE. That's literally the fucking opposite of lettuce.