First World Problems

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I suggest you buy a cheap used car and the Naxx expansion.
Had Naxx for about two weeks now =p

And as predicted, I bought it and felt like there wasn't any carrot to playing almost immediately after - still got a Legendary to craft, but only logged in like twice since finishing Naxx. Probably missed a few dailies, I just can't get motivated to horde gold for Blackrock.

Am enjoying the other stuff I'm doing since taking a break from it a lot though.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Tesla not being in your state is probable a legal issue not a lack of wanting to sell them

Vaclav

Tesla not being in your state is probable a legal issue not a lack of wanting to sell them
Yea, I know - just annoys me being literally 3 miles from the SpaceX launchpad and no Tesla's here - in a county that pushes "future tech" and such constantly even to the points where kids have robotics clubs in school as a thing. (And apparently a scholarship + $20k CASH prize for the top place in the county HS science fair from what I was told)

So counterintuitive to not have them here... But some day I will have one... some day...

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Do you mean you can't even own one? That seems a little strange. I'd think you could at least order one out of state and pick it up if it means that much to you.

Molten Core Raider
according to the Tesla website, there are 8 showrooms in Florida. Think that's where you mentioned being? Whereabouts in Florida? 1 in Orlando, 5 on the southeastern coast, a few more scattered.

They do not use a dealership system like normal car dealers, they set up small showrooms in malls, shopping centers etc. There you can see some of the tech, and get info on the line of cars. It is a pretty cool system, I was checking them out in DC mall a few years ago.

Still a bit pricey though. They are clearly catering to the elite and not to wanna be green tree huggers. Either way, a car that can do 0-60 in under 4 seconds is fun no matter what powers it.

Dalien

Registered Hodor
You can buy one in any state if you go through their website, they are just not allowed to sell the actual cars in their storefronts in certain states. Mainly because they cut out the middleman (traditional dealerships) and sell direct to the customer, and dealerships got butthurt about this in many states. As karma mentioned, their store is basically there to pick out all the features you want etc, then you go online to actually buy it.

tesla-map-2014-05-22.png

Vaclav

according to the Tesla website, there are 8 showrooms in Florida. Think that's where you mentioned being? Whereabouts in Florida? 1 in Orlando, 5 on the southeastern coast, a few more scattered.
Cape Canaveral area (thus the SpaceX stuff - Merritt Island specifically, where NASA people that want a short commute live) - hadn't seen the Orlando showroom that would only be like an hour to get to (40-80 min depending where in Orlando). I know Miami/Naples area had one - didn't realize Orlando did, wonder if it's a recent addition, had looked before the move - hadn't looked since, hah. Commented here before I've even looked into anything, just starting to wrap my head around which way I want to go - figured I'd get until 2020 (or close) out of this car when electrics should be very accessible.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
Cape Canaveral area (thus the SpaceX stuff - Merritt Island specifically, where NASA people that want a short commute live) - hadn't seen the Orlando showroom that would only be like an hour to get to (40-80 min depending where in Orlando). I know Miami/Naples area had one - didn't realize Orlando did, wonder if it's a recent addition, had looked before the move - hadn't looked since, hah. Commented here before I've even looked into anything, just starting to wrap my head around which way I want to go - figured I'd get until 2020 (or close) out of this car when electrics should be very accessible.
I saw two Tesla cars on the road today. In Canada. So jelly.

Molten Core Raider
I glanced at the map without zooming, so the orlando location isnt actually orlando, but somewhere near casselberry? Which looks like it would add a fair bit to your trip
frown.png
sorry! Still worth it IMO, I have talked to 3 different tesla owners so far and they are ALL thrilled with them.

Aamry

Blackwing Lair Raider
I have a few customers who own them. The Model S. I haven't heard anything negative about them except what's been mentioned elsewhere on this board. The Roadster is still my favorite, but I guess they don't offer it anymore?

Vaclav

I have a few customers who own them. The Model S. I haven't heard anything negative about them except what's been mentioned elsewhere on this board. The Roadster is still my favorite, but I guess they don't offer it anymore?
Yea, was really hoping this car would survive for the M or whatever the one they're targeting $40k for - I don't care about the performance stuff, just a high quality electric that I'll never have to replace in my lifetime more than likely.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yea, was really hoping this car would survive for the M or whatever the one they're targeting $40k for - I don't care about the performance stuff, just a high quality electric that I'll never have to replace in my lifetime more than likely.
Except when the battery packs die, which they will. And, will cost about as much as an engine in a cheap-o economy car.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Except when the battery packs die, which they will. And, will cost about as much as an engine in a cheap-o economy car.
And that's why I could only ever see myself leasing an electric. I'd love to see hybrids with flywheels like race cars but that tech probably won't ever hit the road.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You don't think the cost of battery pack depreciation would be baked into the lease?
Could be, but over all it's a cheaper proposition if you're going to turn over your cars more frequently.

I'd love for electric, hydrogen, and hybrid cars to get more efficient and cost effective (diesel too). That way, I could get access to petrol at a more reasonable price, for longer, for my fun cars.

Vaclav

They're starting to go with dual batteries now I thought to reduce the cost of each individual battery so that cost would be spread out - plus battery costs keep deflating quickly in case you've not noticed. (Additionally batteries don't just "die" they just get less and less efficient - unless they're unlike any other rechargable battery - so there's a ton of forewarning)

And saying "fun cars" pretty much puts you in a different category than me - they're a utility item, not a "fun item".

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
They're starting to go with dual batteries now I thought to reduce the cost of each individual battery so that cost would be spread out - plus battery costs keep deflating quickly in case you've not noticed. (Additionally batteries don't just "die" they just get less and less efficient - unless they're unlike any other rechargable battery - so there's a ton of forewarning)

And saying "fun cars" pretty much puts you in a different category than me - they're a utility item, not a "fun item".
Not quite. I have a sensible, fuel efficient daily driver that I want to be cheap and economical and I have a fun car with crazy power and crap MPG (achieved 8mpg one day in the canyons) with many more of both kinds going into the future.

I don't dislike the idea of full electric cars. But, I can't stand the horrid range on the current ones available.

Rais

Trakanon Raider
The show room is like 3 mins from where I live. It's been here since I got back from overseas in 2013. During normal business hours they have like 3-4 cars out front, and it looks like a few more inside. The place isn't huge, maybe the size of a small McDonald's. Always see a few driving around in the city near the dealership.